Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

lulubears Posts: 280

I received a message about two weeks ago from a person inquiring about one of the bears on my website.  They asked if it was still available, and if I had more pictures of other bears.  I notified them that I had updated my site with new bears, and they wrote back - still wanting a bear, but a different one.  Okay - no problem.  Then, they asked if I could include a personal note with it, as it is to be a Christmas gift.  Okay - again no problem.  They ask for total cost, including shipping, which I sent.  Now, a week later, I hear back, and they still want a bear, but yet a different one! 

I'm just a little concerned at this point that this is going to turn out to be a bad situation.  This person lives in England, and at this point, there is just no way I can get the bear there in time, especially since they can't pay until Wednesday.  I just have a "gut" feeling about this that something is not right.

Has anyone else received this type of e-mail?  At this point, I don't even know if the bear they are now wanting is available, as I'm showing at a local show, and it may have sold tonight.  That's is what I told them, but if the bear is still available or if they decide they want another, do I have any way to protect myself through Paypal?  I don't want them to pay me, then mail out the bear, only to have them withdraw the funds after the bear is gone.

Thanks for any advice.

Luann

SLauhon Lauhon Originals
Murrieta, Ca

Sounds like a situation you probably do not want to get yourself in. I would review paypal's policies in regards to buyers backing out before going any further. Unless you really need to make the sale I would simply tell the person you are uncomfortable doing business with them. I have been contacted by people with similar questions, then bombarded with emails for this and that for weeks afterwards. Sometimes the internet isn't as friendly as we wish it was. It seems every day we are faced with more scam artists trying to get our money or something else.

Goos luck and Happy Holidays!

hugs, Susan

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ahh Luann - hard to know what's going on!  I have had one lady who had a very difficult time making up her mind.  I had lots of emails with her choice, then a change of mind.  The reason being she doesn't have a lot of money to spend on bears, and just wanted the perfect bear.  She ended up choosing and all is well - She is a lovely lovely lady and just wanted to be sure that that bear was right for her.  I am glad I was patient with her!

This could be a similar situation with this person.  I would make sure you insure the box that the bear will be sent in.  That way, they can't write to Paypal and say, I ordered a bear and it didn't arrive.  If they do this - Paypal will take the money out of your Paypal account and refund the buyer - if you send it insured, at least you have proof that the box did arrive, and I THINK that will be fine with Paypal. 

I just went through your gallery, and to be honest - I would have a very difficult time choosing a bear to adopt.  I really like them all but can't choose between Andy and Jax!
Danni

It's a risk whoever we sell to.  Make it clear that the person they are buying the bear from won't have it by Christmas, that you WILL be insuring the box as proof of delivery and I think you should be right.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Also remember as Christmas closes in, some people are in a dither to pick that 'perfect' Christmas gift for someone they love.  They don't quite grasp the logistics of sending it....and are in fact asking for a miracle. 

Try to be patient, but make it crystal clear to this person that they've missed the shipping deadlines all ready, and that the bear ultimately won't arrive until after Christmas.

lulubears Posts: 280

Thanks for the insight on this situation.  It's a bit tricky, but since it was supposed to be a gift for Christmas, I became a little suspicious when he waited another week to write back and confirm.  Changing his mind so many times also made me a little suspicious.  This morning, I received an e-mail and he still wants the bear, but now needs to make sure I can get it to him by the first of January - from the US to England - yet he is unable to even pay until tomorrow night.  This will be tricky at best with this timeline.

While I'd love to be able to have the sale of a bear, I'd rather err on the side of caution.  I just wrote him back and will see what the response is.

Thanks again.

Luann

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

My bears run around 8 inches high and when I ship them via Air to the UK, they take roughly 5 to 8 days to arrive....depending on where exactly in the UK they're going.  So it is possible to still get the bear there by the first of January. 

My main concern is that your gut instinct is sending warning alarms.... Try to be cautious, and cover yourself as much as you can...be he could easily be on the up and up, just rattled with Christmas...

Board footer