Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

lulubears Posts: 280

Happy Holidays to everyone on the list!  I wanted to share how my year ended and my hopes for 2007.  In late October, I was approached by a group of artists to join them in a booth they share at a long-established art show.  I was a bit apprehensive, as this would be a HUGE undertaking for me.  This would be the 30th year for the show, and  it is very nearly impossible to get in, and some of the same artists have been participating in the show for 15-20 years. This is a 16 day show, that runs from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day, up to and including Christmas Eve.  The shifts to work would be split between 4 of us, so that meant very little time off, if any, for all of us.  (The other artists are not bear-makers.  One is a painter, one does calligraphy type work and the other does mosaic work.)

Anyway...I decided to go for it, plotted out what pieces I wanted to try to get finished, and started cutting, sewing, stuffing, etc.  I started out by initially taking 10 pieces and by the end, had 30 new bears and animal friends at the show.  I came home with only 6 pieces, meaning I had sold 24 over the course of the show! 

I worked on new pieces that I had been wanting to try, including a travelling mouse, my foxes, an elephant and a flamingo.  I also finished up an open mouth cat with feathers in it's mouth and a bird on it's head.  All of them sold, and my confidence level is at an all-time high!

This entire venture has made me realize that there are plenty of collectors out there and they are still buying.  Every piece I took was new and in some cases, very different.  From my vantage point, it appears that if we are willing to step out of our comfort zones and go with our new ideas, the end results may very well be worth it.  I'm looking forward to honing my airbrushing skills (thanks to the class I took from Judi) and have signed up for two more classes that I hope will push me to try other things.

I hope the new year brings all of us the opportunityand courage to step forward and try all those things we've been wanting to, but haven't done so. 

Hugs,
Luann

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

WOW , thats GREAT !!!!!! Keep the hard work up and 2007 Will be successful for you bear_grin

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

What inspiration - that is FANTASTIC news Luann!!!!!!!!!!!!   Your bears are stunning!!!!!!
Danni

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

WOW That is fantastic.  Definately an ego booster!!!

Jane

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Congratulations Luann that is fantastic news...  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Luann: that is such good news and what a wonderful success you had with selling your bears. I hope 2007 is even more successful for you.

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Where are the pictures?
Glad you had a great time.

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

That's fabulous news....Congratulations!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

That is wonderful news Luann and always great to hear good news stories - well done.
Best wishes for 2007.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Board footer