Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I was just answering a question in another post which I said not tobe scared of making mistakes. That the whole computer system wont come crashing down because you clicked on the wrong button. bear_grin
That basicly the computer is designed to cope with all our mistakes. I am now thinking how interesting and how much we each could learn by others big computer bloopers.

My last one was when I was unable to access the internet for five days  (last thursday till yesterday) :crackup:  because I changed a pass word and didnt change it in the modem bear_grin  and it was only when I told the technician what were the two last things I did when it was working. :crackup:  It took three minutes all up from phone call to hang up to put it right.  :redface:
Thats just my most recent.................

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Ahhhh:

I was finishing up my last semester of Nursing School, and had case reports on file that I needed to print up and my son was playing on my computer......this would have been one of the first MACs. 

I got home from the hospital and he asked me :

"What does it mean when the computer says 'are you sure you want to re-formatt the hard drive?"

Yes, he lived, Yes I graduated, ( at the top of my classm but only because of  my Obsessive compulsive tendencies)  and yes, 25 years later I can still remember that horridly sick feeling as I tried to breathe and turn on the computer and figure out what if anything could be saved.

uh

nothing

thats what reformatting means.......

sigh

bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, Dilu.....
I did a very similar thing with hubby's new camera on our wedding night. My dad had taken photos at our intimate, mountain top ceremony and I wanted to look through them. In my searching through and pushing buttons I got so lost in the camera I couldn't find my way back to the main menu. Then I saw an option to REFORMAT. "Sure, this'll somehow get me back to the beginning" I hought. When it asked if I was sure I wanted to reformat I should have known. I pushed yes and everything went black. My heart sunk... I knew what I'd done. I was in tears when hubs came in the room. I'd erased EVERYTHING! We didn't have a prof. photographer. Dad was in charge of getting pics. Thank god my sister-in-law had her camera! But I've never felt so devestated to loose such precious photos! I still get a sinking feeling when I think of it!

Wendy..... I know you were hoping to make this a thread folks can learn from.... but I have to throw in one more story....

My hubby, who is currently working out of state and therefor gone all week, has decided to take MY laptop with him. There are two problems with this:

1. He didn't back up my files onto the external hard drive so I can access them from his PC... my website files, bear pics... everything is gone with him!

2. Said PC is in his very scary home office where it's also cold and his mouse doesn't work very well and I'm having a hard time getting used to the keyboard and HUGE screen!

Lesson.... Buy hubby his OWN laptop for Christmas next year!!! (If I can hold out that long!) :crackup:  :crackup:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Daphne!  I am heartsick over your loss too...even though its been years it still must be a little niggling pain in the heart!  Poor baby! bear_cry

Listen up my little Chickadees, learn from our mistakes:

If anything computerized asks if you want to reformat....the answer is always no untill you know what you are doing!

gollyhugs
dilu

Celena Oxford

Haa haaa....So true Dilu!  I learnt my lesson on that too...Now whatever I don't understand, I just click on the "X" or click "No"  bear_original

Well, recently (somewhere early Dec 06) I had a major PC disaster BUT wasn't my fault though...the lightning decided to visit and "fried" my computer while I was taking a hot shower (luckily, I wasn't electrocuted).  The lightning I think travelled through the phone wire connected to my modem as my computer wasn't switched on at all. 

While I was "la la la" away in the bathroom, KaBOOM!  my whole house power tripped! and I was left standing...ahem..."unladylike" in the bathroom..then I was able to get to my room, found my torchlight and turned on the main power...and then discovered my PC has a slight burning smell...couldn't switched on it anymore.  bear_sad   Then I dismantled my computer...power supply and motherboard got fried!  Even my poor "undestructable" Robotic modem!  I was sooooo sad...my poor modem...I had dropped it so many times, until the whole casing has broken to pieces BUT it still worked so well...has been with my family for more than 10 years...was passed down from my brother to me...and I have used it for more than 6 years!

For a couple of days, I was sufferring "withdrawal symptoms" for not being able to get on the internet at home... bear_wacko

Ohhh...my computer is up again after one week...I tried to salvage as much workable parts as I could from my "fried" pc...I was able to re-use my hard drive, graphic cards, monitor and the casing only.  Bought a new CPU, motherboard, DDR ram, modem card and power supply....and assembled back my pc in one night, then transferred my hard drive data to my brother's notebook and reformat it and set up the operating system again....

AND last night....another disaster...my PC monitor went KAPUT!  Arghhhhhhhhhhh......I seem to be hit by some PC curse!  I think the next one going to RIP will be my graphic card....I discovered the fan doesn't work anymore  bear_sad  Now I am paranoid about my hard drive too....

Beary hugs
Celena  :hug:

WA

Well there goes my theory that computers wont crash on you.  :crackup:
Daphne, I can actually taste that heart sinking wrenching feeling of having lost all your fathers pics.
I know for myself that anything my fathers does is very precious to me.  bear_wub  I'm a real softy where my father is concerned. Hes still my hero.

So we have now learned that REFORMATTING is a no go area. and  DONT LISTEN to Wendy. bear_grin
And SAVE SAVE SAVE stuff as you go and turn off and unplug from the wall.

Anymore disaster stories folks??

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

I've learnt to back up my files and save save save. However does anyone know a quick way to save and reload emails. These are a DBX file and I find don't open in anything but email and once you save them outside of the email program don't import back in easily........or for me they don't.

I have found one program that does read them from outside but it is messy to save emails and open them with this program.......does anyone have a quick easy solution? :pray:  :pray:  :pray:

WA

Sorry, I didnt know you could take them outside of the email program.  :doh:  bear_grin

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Don't

Please Don't

Please don't ever mention computer failure

Ever

It makes me sweat

I feel quite ill

I've been there

And have never been the same since

centaur1.gif

K P Bear K P Bear
Lewiston

I have just had a new mother board installed by a friend of mine as I do not know how to do this. But it was funny how it started, if I turned of my pc it would not start again unless I heated it up with my hari dryer and finally the other week it did not start at all and Yes I did have that sinking feeling. But at least this time I did not loose any thing. I have learned the hard way to save onto disc any thing that you do not want to loose.
Lena 60.gif

Board footer