Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi All,
            I put as much details as i  possibly can on my own swing labels ,but wondered if there was a legal code regarding this,as some Artists only have the Name of the Bear on their swing tag.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hi Rita,

I have all components listed on the reverse of my hangtags.  I think there may well be a legal requirement to do this in the UK - I'm not sure though; I may be thinking of bears labelled CE (suitable for children) only.  The British Toymakers' Guild is a great source of advice for such things - www.toymakersguild.co.uk 

Also, a phone call to your local Trading Standards office should clarify things for you.  They are usually really helpful.

I think, if in doubt, add the details.  It certainly doesn't hurt to be as helpful as possible!

One thing I have found, is that to have the components listed, certainly puts international customers' minds at rest when their bears have to go through customs. bear_original

ellen ontario, canada

i don't know about Scotland but here in Ontario, Canada we MUST declare the contents on our bears....and it must be new material only.
:/:rolleyes:

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Yes, I do agree with you all ,I do put every detail on my swing tags, but I do know that there are a lot of makers who only put the name. 8 years ago when I started making bears ,I phoned Trading standards and their advice was to put as much as possible on the tags letting buyers know what components were used in the making of the bear.  Thanks everyone for your replies. Hugs Rita xx:D

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Wow, is this a requirement in the states too?

Dilu

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

I don't know....but if it is, I'm in trouble :/:rolleyes:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I'm confused :/

If a bear is sold as 'not a toy for children', does it still have to meet legal standards for soft toys?

Eileen

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Come on you pros from the states-what's the answer?

Dilu

yosemitebearworks Oakhurst, CA
Website

Well, according to a book I have: "Selling Your Dolls & Teddy Bears" by Barb Lawrence Giguere and Carol-Lynn Rossel Waugh:  "Teddy bears sold in one of the four states requiring stuffing licenses (Maine, Massachusetts, Ohio and Pennsylvania) must be identified with the corresponding stuffing license number.....These laws and regulations are intended to ensure and protect against fire and health hazards."  So, if you sell in any of those states you should probably check out about what you need to do to get a license.  Now, this book is several years old (1996), so things could very well have changed from state to state.

All that said, my practice has always been to include stuffing info on the back of my hang tags. I have a simple check list as to: fabric type, eye type, paw pad material, etc. that takes seconds to fill out.

Hope this helps,
Donna

ellen ontario, canada

http://www.tssa.org/regulated/upholstered/default.asp
here's info for anyone in Ontario Canada.
anything stuffed is regulated.  we have to register, pay the fee and make sure the tag is on the critter.  they strictly enforce it too.  everyone would be wise to check ....where ever they are.
bear_ermm

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

Hi Rita,

this is interesting reading,
when I buy my filling I get a certificate stating it conforming to British safety standards. but on my tags i put :- This one of a kind bear is made from mohair has glass eyes, polyester fibre filling( has a steel shot or pellet ) filled tummy and is fully jointed. This bear is not suitable for children under 14years old.
with my address phone number and web site details.

I also have a sew in label with my company name my address phone number and web site details, also not suitable for children under 14 years old
so I am doubly covered bear_original

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Kerren , I put about everything on my tag and like you my phone number and web-site too. But there are lots of makers only put the bears name and the Edition number . However we all put the For collectors only ,unsuitable for children under 14. Which is a secondary cover if you like.  Huggles Rita xx

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Yikes. Ellen, do you know the name of the agency that regulates stuffed toys in Ontario?

Pay a fee? bear_angry Big surprise. We pay to breathe in Ontario.

Love your avatar, Rita. Where are you in Scotland--I love your country. My husband is from Helensborough (sp? can't remember) and a direct descendant through his mother of Charles II and Nell Gwyn--imagine my relief when none of my 3 daughters inherited the Stuart nose. :lol:

Eileen

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

This is an interesting topic. I think it is good to list as much as you can about your piece to protect your self and comply with rules which brings me to another question...

The bears we make are generally NOT toys ,they are SOFT SCULPTURE ART, target market is to ADULT COLLECTORS not children..They should " lawfully" be classified the same as any other art like procelian or sculptured art dolls, no matter what  materials are used which can be many.... same as collage or mixed media paintings, weavings which can have all kinds of things hanging off of them . 
Somehow the law has got us cornered into the " stuffed toy" class  which has yet to be resolved ...wonder if it will ever change ?................. Winney

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

On the subject of tags for bears,
I'd like to know what materials your tags are made of, what size they are, how you get the info onto the tags, i.e., handwritten or commercially printed.  Whereabouts on the bear do you put the tag(s)?

I ask because tags are a bugaboo for me.  My first tags were paper (preprinted), with my logo on one side and a check box and room to write the name on the other.  I used Perle cotton hangers and pulled one stitch thru the back of the bear's arm.  The paper became travelworn very quickly.  Next I tried sewing tags into the backs of bears as I was closing them.  They were ultrasuede, handwritten.  It wasn't possible to include much info unless the tags were too big.  I didn't really like the look of a tag in the back anyhow.  It felt like it took away from the personhood of the bear, if you know what I mean.  I could have put them on the bottoms, but that could look worse (blush!) if the bear were standing. 

What I'm doing now is using an ultrasuede square about 1.5 inches across with a hand stamped impression of my logo on one side, and hand-written description of the bear on the other, stitched into back of bear's arm as with the paper tags.  There is no room for materials info on a tag that size, and I don't want to see a larger one unless it is very attractive.  I guess I could make a second tag with the clinical info, but I'm not too jazzed about seeing a second tag. 

I have been thinking about using a new stiff material you can sew thru, sort of like pellon only stiffer, and sewing a collage onto a larger tag using trims, etc. which would be decorative.  That would leave more room on the back where I could have a printed paper form (laminated?) with room for handwrittin description.  They would take some time, but such a tag could be an attraction as well.  Maybe I could make up a group of tag fronts in a day and apply the info part as needed. 

Well!  Looks like I've thought myself out of a dilemma through my fingertips.:D

ellen ontario, canada

Eileen,  that link i provided takes you right to the "higher beings" that regulate stuffed "ARTICLES".  they don't call them toys (they know better!).  the annual fee for us little guys is only $20.00 plus (god love it) gst of course.  i'm all for safety BUT it just irks me to have to register and wait for the "stuffing nazis" to arrive at my door....wanting to check out my goods!  haaa!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Laure,

I print my tags on business cards. (I was buying the perforated sheets at my office supply place - then finally had the printers do them up - cheaper!!)  They get folded in half so my logo is on the front, open to full spread will ALL the info about the bear and it's ingredients, my signature, date & "Not safe for...." info. Back has my address, phone & website. Once written on I laminate it. I got a small laminator that takes up to 4x6 sheets on eBay cheap and get the laminating sheets for business card size at any office supply store (also available on eBay - isn't everything?!). As soon as it comes out of the laminator I fold it while it's still warm (fold won't take once it's cooled) then use a tiny hole punch and thread it with perle cotton (there are always scraps of that on my table!) and put it around the bears neck or attach it to the bow or whatever. My hang tags have survived lots of hugs, getting crunched in crates when traveling to shows, etc. I have a sewn in tush tag too in case the bear and hang tag get separated.

When the craftsmen's league I belong to here in NH saw my hangtags they asked my permission to use this technique in their galleries and wrote an article on hang tags in one of their newsletters. No permission needed here - it's not an original idea!

Daphne

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Thanks for your kind words about my Avatar Eileen.

I live in Ayrshire Scotland ,not far from Troon where last years open golf was held it just 10minutes along the coast. I am about 35 minutes away from Helensburgh ,and go there often as I have bears in one of the shops there. Next time I go I will take a picture and send it to you.  Hugs rita xx

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Found it, Ellen. What a dingbat I am!   bear_noexpression  The aim of the regulation is to protect the public from nasty stuff inside, like razor blades or dead bats, I guess. Steel/copper shot isn't on the list of common fillings. Filling materials to be listed in order of volume. I see that it will cost $70 to have a label registered. Plus GST! Label can't be paper, must be in black ink only. I ought to check out the possibility of lamination. I like Daphne's idea.

Thanks, Rita, I'd love a picture! I picked up a stuffed badger from a nice little shop when I was there last, but the Jack Russell Terrorist  ate it. Not an arist badger, fortunately, only a toy!

Eileen

White City, Oregon

Daphne, I like your idea using business cards for tags and having material info. on the back. I use a tag I had printed, (only on one side tho ) then I write the info in and laminated the tag.The laminate is just clear shelf paper for protecting documents I bought at Walmart, it works fine.
I then had some  cloth and metallic woven tags made  basically with my business name and by....me, this gets folded and sewn onto the side of the bear under the arm. ....Winney

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Daphne,

I like your laminated tags.  They sound quite doable.  I think I will try that. 

Winney, clear contact "paper" could be just the ticket, and cheap, too.

Hugs,

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

For those interested in laminating... I also laminate my tags.  I know that the heat-press laminating method is the most tried and true, but did you know you can buy a cold-press laminator by Xyron at Michael's (or any number of craft or scrapbooking stores?)  The Xyron "machines," which operate with a hand crank mechanism, come in a number of sizes.  They are easy to refill with cartridge-style laminating plastic and if used only for hangtags it lasts a very long time.  They are small and portable and you can't burn yourself or ruin your furniture with the heat and steam of a typical heat laminating unit. 

Interestingly, you can also buy cartridges which allow you to make stickers and/or magnets out of any old piece of paper or photo you might have lying around.

Check out this link for more information on this fab little device if you're in the market for a laminator and want to view all available options:  http://www.xyron.com/products_list.php/ … 9159caffa9

You can also VIEW A DEMO of a XYRON in action.

Hope this helps... bear_original

White City, Oregon

Shelli ....... Thank's for the link..there is so much out there for the crafter,it's hard to keep up with it all.
With the memory scrapbooking being so popular many of those items can be utilized for us when doing those tag and packaging and personalizing projects. I just bought a big package of card stock at half price at Michael's I plan to use for tags. I  can't get out of that store without buying something I just HAVE to have.....Winney

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks for the link, Shelli. It looks like a great little machine--and affordable :D

Eileen

ellen ontario, canada

Eileen, you don't have to spend $70.00 to register.  just $20.00 to register.  the requirements for the tags are on the website so i don't see the need to get yours approved for the extra $50.00!!  what a rip-off!  just make sure they are the right size, not paper and printed in black ink.  i got mine from Laven Industries....in toronto somewhere.  (i think - will check the website at work tomorrow and let you know for sure.)
bear_cool

Board footer