Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I thought I'd like to try Gemma's 'saggy bear' challenge if I can make a little time to play.  I've ordered some fabric, which I'm really looking forward to using for the first time and then I remembered a bale of woodwool I purchased ages ago.  It's been lingering in the back of a cupboard and I've never got round to using it. 

So, my question is, does anyone have any tips for using woodwool for the first time?  I'd like to mix it with some pellets for weight and maybe even use some polyester fibre or perhaps kapok in there too.  I've heard things about cutting up the woodwool, scrunching, misting ... am I on the right lines? :doh:

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Hi

I've on;y used wood wool in reapiring old bears but here is what I have learnt in that

1. It is very very nessy and sticks to everything do it outside but if you can't for some reason do it in a large wll ventialted indoor room without carpet....if you think it will get stuck on things put down a platic painting drop sheet. You might want to do that anyway to gather up the bits.

2/ Do mist it very lightly do stop the "saw dust" from flying around.

2/ Take very small amoounts and roll them like a cigar between your hands and then stuff it in.

4/ Push the 'cigars" tightly together or you will end up with gaps, expecially ain teh ankle and wrist area

Basically you are working with very fine wood and it will 'snag" on things so it is patience patience patience while working with it and use very small amounts, rolled into tight cigars.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

This is about what I know as well. I am sure others will post their findings on working with woodwool.
I do find it messy, so keep a small hand vancuum cleaner on hand, misting it also keeps its easier to work with, and seems to help it from flying around.
Small bits at a time I think is also the way to go.

Lynette

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

You all seem to be using a different 'WOODWOOL' to what I have used.

Paula I have only done this twice because well for one it is messy and two... I dont like the idea of having to wet it. I also have only used it in the nose.
..Place it in a bowl chop up with scissors ..with a spray gun mist it and stuff into the nose cavity. I just did mine on a tea towel. No biggy.  As for stuffing the whole body....well I've always hated the feel and sound of carnival bears that have been stuff with it. It reminds me of cheap 'made in china' fair ground prizes.  Now is that prejudice or what??? bear_grin   good luck with it, have fun.... bear_thumb

Board footer