Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

lulubears Posts: 280

I just opened my e-mail and and had a message from Paypal - I thought!  This looked very real, but I was immediately worried because it was a receipt for payment of a toddler's dress.  I haven't purchased anything using my Paypal account, and not only do I not have a toddler that could wear the dress, I wouldn't have paid $83.00 for it like it said I had.

After checking my Paypal account and seeing that nothing was amiss, I went back and looked at the e-mail again.  It was addressed to me, but at the top of the e-mail, it thanked me for making payment to one person for a certain amount, and in the body of the e-mail the details showed a different seller and amount.

There was also a bright yellow box to click on if you had any reason to dispute the payment.  I'm sure that a lot of people have gotten e-mails like this and clicked that yellow box!  Other than the yellow box, this looked exactly like every receipt I've ever gotten from Paypal.

These people must spend all their waking hours working out the next scam!  Just a word of cautionto make sure you don't click on these, as I'm sure they could really cause some damage.

Luann

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Wow, that's a new one!  Thanks so much for the heads up, Luann.  I got a paypal payment tonight but it is legitimate.  Now I "never" click on a link to any email like that, legitimate or not - I either go to my messages in Ebay or directly to the site like Paypal.  I think that's all we can do. 

hugs,

Brenda

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Luann, yeah I got one of these last week, don't open anything on it...just forward it to spoof@paypal.com

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Scarey !!!!!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

The more I see this the more I think that this is exactly why nothing legitimate from ebay/ebay related paypal should come to an email address.  It should all filter directly their message board and that's it.  Why they can't do that I don't know...maybe it's too hard to manage (doubtful)..but it would hold them responsible for any security related fraud at that point AND I would imagine it would cut down on the "spoof@ebay" forwarded emails they see each day-hour-minute  bear_grin

HEY EBAY Look into that huh?? They own everything, they should be able to make it work :crackup:

:hug:
~Chrissi

K P Bear K P Bear
Lewiston

Thank you for letting us know.
Lena 23.gif

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Thanks for the caution Luann. Sometimes some of us can get caught out if we are busy. I think that is what they rely upon.  Forewarned is forearmed.   THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! bear_thumb

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

I received a couple of these last week and one of the senders threatened to report me to e-bay for non payment of an item which I didn't even have listed for sale- sent me 3 e-mails all saying the same thing. Some people would freak out over this and reply to the e-mail and then they have you!!!. Always go to e-bay or Paypals secure site and check your messages- if it isn't there then it's fake!!!
Hugs
Gail

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I received an alert from e-bay today, it mentioned I had contacted a person through e-bay my messages and that they could be a fraudulant.
Went on to say, if I have paid for or sent items already then contact e-bay through this link.
It came through my messages at e-bay but I haven't received or sent any emails to the person they were refering to.

Didn't click on the link just deleted the email.... very strange..

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Thanks for the head's up.  Where there's a will (to steal) they will find a way.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Oh my....this all too scary for words....Thank you for the warning....

Board footer