Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

JanetandBears Janet Ann Anderson and Bears
Breckenridge, CO
Website

It seems Ebay is getting crazier and so difficult to deal with.  I have recently been suspended and blocked from ever setting up an account again...    I only set up an auction occasionally and never buy anything.    But, the reason for the suspension is that there are strikes aganist me for not paying for items I have won bids on?????????  I have not bid on anything ever so I don't know what is happening.. 
    Has anyone else had this problem with Ebay?   

I did have another issue last fall with someone listing a tractor on my account but got that resolved and changed my pass word and all that they told me to do ..   But in this case I am not being offered a way to resolve this issue...  ????????   
Frustrated, Janet

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Janet, are you sure this was a legitimate email? If I click on your ebay link, you still have an active ebay ID. Sometimes you get an email similar to this to get you to click on the link and then they steal your account info. Please be careful.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Per eBay they have the right to do as they see fit and not supply you any details or specifics as to why.  I've read the user agreement and security pages over and over and can't find an explanation as to what happened to myself months ago either. 
I've decided to write a notarized letter to their legal department requesting all noted information and system notes pertaining to my account and the block they had put on me.  I personally want to know if it was indeed the unfamiliar IP address that concerned them and caused my account to be pulled, or if someone had my listings pulled for other reasons. Frankly I want to know..and I will.  (stay tuned)

Ebay is not a kingdom within itself, they do not create their own laws...policies yes, but those policies seem to be built on thin ice.  During live chats  they will try to convince you that you have no rights and that they owe you nothing...this is not the case at all

Janet,
I would suggest writing a clear, professional and bullet pointed letter containing only the facts, requesting an explanation from eBay in writing.  Have it notarized and sent registered mail if you have to.  Ebay is becoming a sanctuary for criminals and scam artists as lawful persons are being abused.

:hug:
~Chrissi

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

I've had that email too. When I go to ebay everything is fine there.  Unless your account was stolen, I would check on the ebay site. 

I think the time is right for the bid4bears campaign, there is just too much going on with ebay...

Joan

teddylinks Teddy Links

My advice would be to log in and change the password immediately. You are most likely not suspended, it will be fraudsters trying to get account details by pretending that the email has come from ebay. A sure way to test is to forward the email to spoof@ebay.com and they will reply to you, letting you know whether it did indeed come from them. A good rule of thumb is "does the email ask me to log in or give my account details?" if so, it is not from eBay because they have these details on file and don't need to ask. Another good thing to ask is "does the email include my ebay username anywhere?" If so, it is more likely it is from ebay. Any email "from" them which does not include your username is a fake.

I hope that helps. :)

Steven

Breckenridge, CO
Website

Thanks everyone for the insightfull replies which I am really appreciating.  I thought I have been heads up on detecting these so  called emails from ebay as most come in the spam folder.   I am glad I did not act on this one and did check on my ebay account and saw nothing amiss there..  It seems like these frauds keep trying new things to trip you up so YES  you do have to be so careful!!!    I hope by posting this others will be on the alert also.  It is getting like having to go through a land mine to use ebay  so YES   also that Bid4 bears alternative is looking good!!     
     I am going to change right away my pass word for my email along with the password on ebay.     
Thanks,
Janet

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

Janet, I just checked ebay and you are still a registered ebayer, this was a scam attempt to get you to log in so they can get your password, go right now, change your password and report this to ebay, I have had the same thing when they say "you have won this shirt" Man I hate this people who does this!!!!!!!!!!!
Bear Hugs
Jodi

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

Chrissi,
   I went to your website, I love the pictures of you as a kid, and Ichabod, twinkle and stitch are WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!
Bear Hugs
Jodi

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I have also gotten this same type of email Janet.  I'm glad you were on your toes! bear_thumb

Here's a copy of another I just got this afternoon........regarding Paypal this time. bear_wacko

Dear PayPal user,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system.

We recently noticed the following issue on your account:

Your bank has contacted us regarding some attempts of charges from your credit card via the Paypal system. We have reasons to believe that you changed your registration information or that someone else has unauthorized access to your Paypal account Due to recent activity, including possible unauthorized payments placed on your account, we will require a second confirmation of your identity with us in order to allow us to investigate this matter further. Your account is not suspended, but if in 48 hours after you receive this message your account is not confirmed we reserve the right to suspend your Paypal registration. If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation of Paypal policy to represent oneself as another Paypal user. Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. Paypal is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

To confirm your identity with us click here:

https:/  /www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr/? cmd=login  u   

Spoof website not online at time of report

teddylinks Teddy Links

spoof@paypal.com works just like spoof@ebay.com 

If you are ever in any doubt about an email just forward it to that address and they will tell you whether it is genuine. Another thing to do is move the mouse over the link in the email and at the bottom of the screen you will see the actual address you will get sent to. If it isn't the same one they are claiming it is, don't visit it. :)

Warmest wishes.

Steven

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I received a similar email from "e-bay" a couple of days ago but as I have account guard when I did click on the link a window came up telling me it was not an authorised e-bay site and there was a link to send it onto spoofemails.

So they did not get any of my details and have been reported to e-bay.....
Is anyone else using account guard?

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836
Jodi Moisan wrote:

Chrissi,
   I went to your website, I love the pictures of you as a kid, and Ichabod, twinkle and stitch are WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!
Bear Hugs
Jodi

Thank you Jodi!  It's really sweet of you to say and it means a lot to hear, honestly bear_flower 

My reply to Janet was totally geared towards actually having your account suspended or locked out for reasons that make no sense at all.  It's what happened to me, that was where the letter piece was coming from.  I still get the bogus emails left and right, but always check out my account first for any kind of messages in the "my ebay" area.  If you've actually had your account locked or listings cancelled and you can't get a legitimate reason from eBay I do suggest contacting their legal department.  The thing that cracks me up is the buyers and sellers are expected to be accountable for their actions, but there seems to be very little accountability on eBay's part.  It's very sad because it does hold a very valuable service and I LIKE being able to shop for anything and everything 24/7....I've furnished my house pretty much from ebay and met some wicked cool artists and sellers out there! (About 3 or 4 years ago I bought the coolest recycled barnwood furniture for our finished basement from the guy who use to make for Sundance catalog (redford's sundance)...how would I have ever found that guy without the service eBay provides?!)  But I don't like the idea that when your "store" is broken into or vandalized the ebay police tell you nothing and protect themselves and the bad guys.  That part stinks...for seller and buyers across the board.

:hug:
~Chrissi

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

My husband is a police detective and spent a WEEK in a class about ebay scams. He said never ever reply to anything ebay or paypal sends you, don't even link from your email to paypal or ebay account. The scams are amazing.

Breckenridge, CO
Website

Chrissi,
    I did actually have my account suspended for about three days last fall and this is why this false email really through me when I got it a few days ago...  In the case last fall someone broke in and listed on my account and the fees were charged to my paypal so while the situation was being delt with Ebay blocked my listings (had 3 bears) .  But the thing is they would not compensate me for the time  and bids being placed that were lost during that time.  I wrote to complain and wanted my auctions at least started over but they did not think I had any ground to stand on...     so I relate to your statement.....

Chrissie wrote....................................................................................................................
But I don't like the idea that when your "store" is broken into or vandalized the ebay police tell you nothing and protect themselves and the bad guys.  That part stinks...for seller and buyers across the board.
........................................................................................................................................

Janet

Board footer