Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

Hiya!
I'm looking for a pattern for an irish flat cap - you know, like the tweed ones that the
old fellas wear?  bear_grin

Does anyone know where I can find one? I want to make it of wool, & I can only find
references to crochet & knitting patterns online.

thanks!

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Oh I would be interested in a pattern like that as well,  I've been hunting for a hat pattern for boy bear. 

hugs

Shane

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Have you seen this website? They offer a freeware version of thier pattern making software that features tons of hats! I have used it and it is wonderful.
http://www.wildginger.com/

Waterloo, Ontario

Thanks so much Sonya, I've already downloaded it and can't wait to start trying it out.

thanks so much 

big hugs

Shane

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

I think the hat you are talking about is a Tam O Shanter.........have a look at this site

http://vintagesewing.info/1920s/28-mhd/mhd-21.html

Scroll down past the girls hats and this pattern is described

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

This is the sort:

main_imageCaps_539.jpg

I think I might be able to eyeball it though, and make a pattern of my own.  bear_grin
If I work it up successfully I'll happily share it with you Shane. Makes me feel smart, lol

Thanks for the links though - I downloaded the Wild Ginger toy & am totally makin that newsboy hat.
I might do a tam for a later bear too - thanks Sandra!

Waterloo, Ontario

Hi Kim,  I went to the site that Sonya recommended and downloaded the free pattern maker.  There is a hat pattern on there called the Paperboy hat and it's similiar.  What's really cool about the pattern maker is you can measure the head of the bear and input that dimension and it will adjust the pattern for that size and then you just print it out.  The Paperboy hat as a bit of a peak though, but would still be a cute hate.

Thanks Kim would appreciate it if you are able to come up with a pattern for it.

big hugs

Shane

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Isn't that great Shane? I love that software. Inputting the measurements assures you can print out a pattern for whatever size bear you want and not have to buy several different patterns
Sonya

Waterloo, Ontario

Oh Sonya you are so right,  I can't tell you how much I appreciate you giving us that website.  I'm gonna have so much fun with it.  We don't usually dress our bears, but lately I have been knitting some funky scarves to go with some of our bears (plus the knitting is a nice change from sewing ) and I was thinking about adding a cute hat to some of them, it's just difficult to find time to sit and design one.  Steve has a degree in costume design but again it's finding the time to sit down and work on it.  We've been working on bears like crazy lately trying to get some ahead as we have a lot of shows this yr and we are always scrambling trying to get them done.  I've been hand sewing them all as I can do it while watching TV.  I just counted them and I have about 30 sewn so far  bear_grin   I didn't realize I had that many done , plus we have 15 completed bears sitting on the shelf so I think we may be ahead of the game for a change.

Once again Sonya thanks so much for the webpage information,  LOVE IT

big hugs

Shane

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

OMG Shane,  30 bears sewn and 15 completed!!! How much TV do you watch! :crackup:
I also hand-sew while watching TV so I understand completely. Do you use a lap board for holding your supplies? Cdn't do without mine.

Marion

Waterloo, Ontario

:crackup:  I watch a lot of TV .  Actually because I take them with me everywhere it's amazing how much you get done.  Now this is over the course of about 2 months and remember there are two of us doing bears,  I tend to sew and stuff and Steve does the faces and the toes and stuff like that so it goes go quickly with two of us.   We do have a lap board that we use now and then, for me sewing I don't use it that often (that's what the arm of the coush is for haha)  Steve uses it more when he's sitting and doing faces (it's more a serving tray idea that we have) it has sides on it so nothing can roll off of it.

We do a lot of camping in the summer and we take them with us then, it's so nice to sit around and hand sew them but we have taken the sewing machine before because we did have a camp site with electricity so we just set it up on the picnic table and worked away.

big hugs

Shane

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

That is really good software that Sonya suggested.  I used it as a starting point to create a hat for one of my bears some time back.  It helped to work out shapes before then adapting to fit your own bear.  Good luck, can't wait to see the results  bear_original

f7.jpg

clare14 Country Bears
England

I read the title of this topic three times and thought - what's that about a cat flap??   I know I know....head's gone!!!!   bear_rolleyes  bear_rolleyes  bear_whistle

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

lol claire! well those are useful too....!

Catherine, that guy and his hat are ADORABLE  bear_wub
And I love how you gave him green eyes, too. What a love he is!

Board footer