Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Pages:
Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Did we talk about this already?  I'm getting too old... ;)

I would like to try out a growler.  Some questions:

1.)  Do they sound like growls, or moos?  'Cause I don't really want to invest time in making a cow-bear.
2.)  Where do you buy your growlers, if you use them?  International resources, welcome.
3.)  Do collectors like bears with growlers?
4.)  How do you insert/seat/stuff around your growlers?
5.)  Do you put them in nylon stockings or a little pouch to keep fuzz out of the mechanism, as I've read to do elsewhere?
6.)  Who invented liquid soap, and why?

ellen ontario, canada

....but we won't spill the Caramilk secret!!!!
bear_happy

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

What on earth is Caramilk?  How does this inform me about growlers? ;):P

ellen ontario, canada

puwaahaaaaaa!!  :lol:
as soon as i posted that i wondered if Amerkins had Caramilk bars.  thanx for the chuckle Shelli.
and how does that pertain to bear growlers??  welp, i think bears LIKE Caramilk bars.
bear_happy

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

LMAO ,I guess they don't have Caramilk bars,what a shame.I'm also wondering about the liquid soap,huh??

I think there was a post about growlers that said they do sound like cows or sheep bleating and I may be wrong but I think they all do.I thought it was only me that didn't think it sounded like a bear.
Hey since we seem to be wandering around on this topic and discussing chocolate( any excuse to do so works for me) and soap....can someone tell me anything about "Fibromyalgia" please,if anyone knows,thanks :D

Hugs and blessings,Shari.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Re: Who invented liquid soap and why ?
Date: Mon Aug 6 21:41:11 2001
Posted By: Eric Maass, Director, semiconductors / communication products
Area of science: Science History
ID: 995593911.Sh
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, A.L.  As far as I can tell, Liquid Soap was invented by  Hendrik Willem Brouwer of  Holland, working for Lever Brothers. He received patent number US4065398: Liquid soap
composition. You can read more about this invention at this webpage.

As for why - I can only guess that Lever Brothers saw the potential to increase sales and profits due to the convenience of a soap that could easily be dispensed in public places like public
restrooms, as a better alternative than providing a community bar of soap (do you really want to wash your hands with  a bar of soap covered with some stranger's dirt and germs?), and as
a more comfortable alternative to providing powdered soap (I have used it in public restrooms in the past...feels like you are washing your hands with  Ajax or Comet. Uncomfortable).

In fact, since the invention of liquid soap, there have been a whole lot of patents for equipment that  dispenses liquid soap, so the market is obviously there!

I can't believe you don't know what Caramilk Bars are - I knew you Americans were deprived but that is just ridiculous. I feel so bad for you all.

I have used a couple of growlers and found they do sound like a cow. Just can't see the point of them.

Marion

ellen ontario, canada

bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin
oh you guys!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I like liquid soap 'cause it's EASY.  Easy is good.:P

Still don't know what Caramilk is and I am originally English.:rolleyes::D:lol::P;)

Okay Growlers.  I think they are really neat.  My husband thinks they sound like calves...and we have plenty of those around here.  They DO in fact sound just like calves...HOWEVER  that IS what baby bears also sound like.  Not full grown bears but BABY bears.  I was wacthing a program on Animal Planet about bears and that is what convinced me that the German growlers that are used in bears do sound just like real baby bears.

I put them in upright so you need to tip the bear forward then upright to hear the growl.  Some people like to put them in the bears head on it's side.  I think it is a matter of personal choice.  I don't put the growler itself into any kind of nylon, or bag...just right in there bear.  I think it would be pretty difficult to ruin a growler with stuffing.  hhhmmmmm maybe I am wrong...but I have some really old bears with growler that still work fine.

I reallylike them.

Shari..chocolate is always good:lol:

Jill West Palm Beach, FL

Shelli -

I have done one bear with a growler.  It was an antique style bear.  I purchased the growler from crscrafts.com.  The sound is more like a bleating than a growl, however the old bears sounded like that, so if it's authenticity you are going for, you would be correct to use it.  I have never heard the noise that a baby bear makes, but I understand that they do not have a growl, more like the bleating sound.  I did put the growler in a panty hose toe and tied it closed so the sound would come out clear.

Jill

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

They do sound a bit moo but I still like them. Have not used one in ages though. Heres a company in the Uk. They do a neat pull cord one.

http://www.christiebears.co.uk/acatalog/Growlers

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I bought one from CR's Crafts too . I read somewhere it is a good idea to put it in a muslin bag sewed shut...years later as material breaks down ( 50 yrs later ?  ) the growler will be better protected....Winney

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Ok, the very first bear I ever made was done with a very seasoned bear artist and she insisted I put a growler in. I put it in as Judi does. Well, if I had the heart to undo my stitching and labor on that very first bear I'd take that growler right out! A sick baby cow is all I can think of when I hear it and anyone else who's listened to it has just looked at me funny. How many of us have really heard a baby bear make noise? How many of us have heard a cow or calf? So, we're more apt to hold that bear in our hands and think it sounds like a sick cow.

I'm not against growlers, don't get me wrong........ but I guess in a bear it's helpful if it's a common sound to begin with. Have you ever asked a child what sound a kittie makes? How about what sound a baby bear makes? See my point?

OK, I'll get off my liquid soap dispenser now! bear_grin:lol:

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Growlers are Howlers

just cows or sheep

a Moo won't do

nor will a Ewe

'cos a bear

just needs to be

LOUDER

P.S. WHERE'S WONKY DILU EVERYONE?

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

I have a growler, in my bear supplies. It just looks at me and mocks me.... It dares me to use it..... ;)

I think I bought mine online from Edinburgh Imports. I wanted to use it for a larger bear, but haven't gotten there yet.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Edinburgh and CR's Crafts is where I got mine.  Even thought they do mimic the sound a baby bear makes....maybe someon should come up with one that has more a a growl sound.

Has anayone seen those toy bears by Tiger Electronics?  I think they are called fur-real cubs.  Well, I bought two , one for each of my daughters.  They move thier arms and legs, and open and close thiere eyes and make sounds.....very scarcey sounds.  My kids hate them because of the sounds they make,  They sound like sick owls.  This of course is unrelated to the German growlers.

I like Softsoap liquid soap with the animals on the bottle....I go for the cool bottles!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Shelli, I've only inserted one growler, but I have several in my stash (you never know) from CRSCraft, Edinburgh and DiscoJoints&Teddies.

I like Edinburgh's best. The sound seems deeper, and it comes with a bit of netting or screening over the holes.

In case anyone wants to hear a real bear growl, check out

http://www.grsites.com/modperl/soundvie … ar%20growl

If you were making a realistic bear, say for Scott, you could buy one of those electronic recorder thingys and download the real thing!

Before my computer crashed last time and I lost the file, I also had a baby bear voice--it sounded like snuffling and bleating and mooing and squeaking all at once!

Actually, I like growls and teeth and claws and tails. On teddies.

Eileen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
Judi wrote:

I like Softsoap liquid soap with the animals on the bottle....I go for the cool bottles!

LOL I have the one with the monkey in it!!! LOL

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Thanks for all the great tips and pointers, all.

I should give appropriate credit for the line, "Who invented liquid soap, and why?" to one of my favorite all time movies, THE SURE THING, with John Cusack and Daphne Zuniga.  It was shot on the UCLA campus, in part, and at a local fraternity (a dorky one, actually; sorry boys), so it holds particular appeal, since it was released while I was actually an undergrad there.

Viveca Lindfors, the wonderful actress (Swedish?  Norwegian?  Danish?)  uttered this line near the end of the film, while reading a student essay; she played an ivy-league English professor.

If you haven't seen it, it's really quite worth a look.  Very funny, sweet, romantic comedy, with endearing characters.  Watch it while inserting a growler!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Sounds great, Shelli, but the last time I worked on a bear whilst watching TV I jointed a leg on backward :(

Eileen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

and while washing your hands with liquid soap! LMAO

clare14 Country Bears
England

Yeah they definitely sound like a farm animal to me, but as I've never been lucky enough to hear a 'real' bear, I have no idea what they or their babies sound like so just familiarise them with cows, or sheep even - got to be honest here!!:lol:

I have a Steiff, sounds just like we're on the farm, and I have a growler to go into a bear but have never used it, sounds just the same, MOOOOOO!!!!;)

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

bear_grin  This thread has been a hoot!

I have one growler... from Edinburgh.  I haven't made a bear big enough for it yet (most of mine have been 10" or under)  But I love picking it up and playing with it every now and then... it drives my whippets nuts bear_tongue

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

I like growlers.  Everytime I show someone one of my bears with a growler and they hear the bear, they like it and have never heard anything like it.  I think they do sound like baby bears and a little like a cow (but I think cows are cute, esp. the Holstein ones - I think those are the black and white ones).  I got to see a cub in person.  And I've heard the sound on animals shows on Animal Planet and Discovery channels. 

Eileen,
I also like realistic bears.  bear_original  I don't see too many of them though.  I have a Steiff Kodiak bear and polar bear.

Chrissie

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Ha ha!  Kim I have the liquid soap with the monkey too!:lol:  ANd the one with the panda and giraffe.

Pages:

Board footer