Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

Ok... Just a thought here.
The light bulb doesn't go off to often above this fake blonde head. So here goes  bear_tongue
How many watchers on an auction do you really think are potential buyers? I have in my own experience have had 20 or more watchers, and only 2 bidders.  So are the rest just courious cats? >^,,^<

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I average about 400 visits and 40 or more watchers.
As I have only a few regular clients, I figure the rest are like me, with about 30 items on watch at all times.
Just doing Market Research - keeping abreast of what's happening.

Bobbie

suburban Chicago

Speaking of blondes and curious minds, I thought I'd share another research study I read - out of a nothern European study.

Blondes may become an Endangered Species!
Men as drawn to blondes, but without taking into accont that it's out-of-a-bottle, so they're actually breeding with brunettes.
Which could possibly cause true blondes to become an Endangered Species!
Makes sense to me!

dusty attic dusty attic bears
somerset

I always have loads of watchers sometimes up to 30 or 40.My last auction I had 22 watchers and no one bid at tall.
I think some times people just watch because they are curious or maybe other bear artists to see what bears are selling for.
I guess you got to take watchers with a pinch of salt, it's the bidders that count. :crackup:

Odessa, Tx

Wow... Now I"m really confused  :crackup: Just kiddin ya Bobbie...
It does sound logical.  bear_thumb   bear_flower

Odessa, Tx

Chloe said:

I guess you got to take watchers with a pinch of salt, it's the bidders that count.

That is so true my friend.... :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

In addition to the above reasons, I KNOW that many of my watchers are fellow bear artists rooting me on (or spying!) and also some are friends and family members just paying attention to my bears and dreaming they could afford one! :crackup:  That's ok. I know sometimes NONE of those watchers will bid. What can you do?

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Hmmm with all the friends around here posting when they have a "bear on ebay" I personally have added some to my watch list so I can cheer them on!!!

and Bobbie, I love the blonde study results :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Hugs &

K Pawz Guest

I agree with everyone about the watchers....but I like to think also that it shows me that intrest in my work has grown...my first bear had 2 watchers, and my last puppy had 49, so i like to use the watchers as a guage to how my work is being noticed, and I can tell by the amount of watchers what is a hit and what not to do again as it didn't get much intrest...I hope I have made sense.
Hugs,
Krista

suburban Chicago

Men as drawn to blondes, but without taking into accont that it's out-of-a-bottle, so they're actually breeding with brunettes

Guess it would help if I bothered to spellcheck.. That's "Men are drawn to...  and 'mating' might be a bit more genteel than 'breeding' LOL with...

Wow... Now I"m really confused   Just kiddin ya Bobbie...
It does sound logical.

And would that be on the Market research or the Blonde stats?????  LLLLLLLLLLL bear_whistle

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

I USUALY GET 40-50 WATCHERS ON A GOOD BEAR, I MAY ONLY HAVE 2 BIDDERS SOMETIMES I HAVE 8 DIFFERENT BIDDERS, I ONLY WATCH THINGS I INTEND TO BID ON  AND THEN I USUALY FORGET AND DONT GET TO BID AT ALL, SOME OF THOSE COULD BE FORGETERS AND OTHERS JUST INTERESTED IN HOW YOUR BEAR WILL DO. AND THERES ALSO PEOPLE WHO WOULD HAVE BID IF THE PRICE WAS BIT LOWER.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I watch auctions of bears I like...sometimes I may even think about bidding but usually it's out of curiosity and nosiness. I also watch auctions of bears ..and others...that have reached an amazingly high price...again out of curiosity and nosiness. I also watch things that I have decided I want to bid on but often don't..I am a 'buy it now' person..I can't cope with bidding wars.  As far as my auctions go I get lots of watchers...regularly 80 plus but often only three serious bidders. I never take watchers seriously at all as I know that they are only doing what I do..but I always hope at least one or two might be thinking about bidding in the future...in the end though it's the folks that put their money where their mouths are that count!!!!

On the subject of blondes I am eternally grateful to them...their addiction to the bottle has given me a good living for 34 years so the more and the blonder the merrier!!! LOL

sarahjane Brisbane

Oh My Goodness......I am a happy girl if I get 12 watchers on an auction... :redface:  :redface:   I can see I have a looooong way to go, although I started out getting about 2 watchers..so I guess I am improving... bear_grin

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I don't take watchers too seriously.  It's usually not at all representative of who will actually bid on my auctions.  It's nice to know that people are interested in the auction though ... who knows, maybe they will think about bidding someday!

Do gentlemen really prefer blondes?  I'm as brunette as a brunette thing can be and don't believe blondes have all the fun!!  :crackup:

burlisonbears Burlison Bears
Louisville, Kentucky

Man, I can't believe y'all have that many watchers! Um, I currently have 4 watchers on my newest bear set.... :redface: And that's usually the average for me...and the most I've ever had was 7 watchers.  :redface:  Still, I always manage to sell my bears in the end.  :dance:
Well, except for one... :redface:

-Eliza

suburban Chicago

Oh, that number took 2 years of steady posting to get that high! Steady is the keyword here - eBayers are more fleeting than show attendees or website visitors.

There is a huge turnover continuously in Sellers and Buyers and if you post only sporadically, you aren't perceived as a reliable, steady source of work.

Sad to say because it has nothing to do with quality (what ever does on eBay???) but until an expected regularity is met, be it once a week or once a month, your client base has to know when to expect to see new work appear.

Every time you've had a break-in-service, it's like starting out all over again.
Just part of what it takes to work within that particular marketplace.

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

I´m with you Eliza.
I only have 1 or 2 watchers and I have only sold a few on Ebay.  :redface:

I don´t have any problem on show or on my website, so I don´t quiet understand it.
Sometimes it makes me sad and I begins to doubt my bears thoug  bear_cry
But maybe I just have to keep on trying as you say Bobbie

(ps: if it is something about my bears, I would very much apreciate advices)

K Pawz Guest

Don't worry guys, I started out the same as you, my first 20 or so auctions I may have gotten up to 8 watchers...but now like Bobbie said that I list consistently on a regular basis do I see my watchers go up...it takes time and you will also notice a difference when you build a large email contact base of collectors as well...Keep up the amazing work and hang in there!!

Hugs,
Krista

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Yes you always have a lot of watchers. I usually have about 20-30 watchers and only about 4 or 5 different bidders.

burlisonbears Burlison Bears
Louisville, Kentucky

Tina,

I just visited your website to look at all your past bears, and I can safely say it's not your bears! Cause you do very cute and original miniatures! I just love that one that looks like he has twigs sprouting out of him. So adorable!  bear_wub

I don't think you should doubt yourself based on ebay results. Although, I must admit that sometimes I too doubt myself when my bears don't receive much attention on ebay...but I keep at it and I'm always improving my bear patterns and I try to keep my work fresh...you know, do something a little different each time. Like with my newest St. Pattie's set I used a different fur pile I'd never used before...it's shorter and shinier...and I used two different colors I'd never used before. Plus, I normally distress my bears but these I decided to keep fresh and new. It's fun to vary your work too. It keeps it all much more interesting for the artist...and hopefully for the regular buyers too!

So keep at it and have fun with it!

-Eliza

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

Thanks Eliza
It was so sweet of you to have a look.
You words about my bears meens a lot.  :hug:
Sometimes it hard not to doubt, right .
I will keep on trying, and do as you say. Try different style and design
and cross my fingers. bear_ermm

thanks again
:hug:  :hug:

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I was wondering this too. I have been getting an average of 20 watchers with a few bids. I think the most bids I got was 6 and they were all different people. I typically don't watch other auctions unless I am considering making a purchase.

What I need to do now is create the "me" page on ebay. I think it might help me a little and give people a place to go when I don't have an auction.

Do you think it makes a difference when you start an auction? The ones I start on Saturday and run for 5 days seem to do best. Ending them on a Friday seem to be the worst since people are dying to get the weekend started.

suburban Chicago

Do you think it makes a difference when you start an auction?

I think it's important to know when your collectors like them to end.

Near the end of each auction, I record the ID's of ppl that have bid (after the auction's over the IDs are gone: eBay says to record them before the end) I then contact the top bidder(s) to say Sorry you didn't win. Would you like to be lised oinb my Advanced Notice List (typically sent out 2 - 3 days in advance of an auction's start.)

About once a year, I send an email to my list asking questions on their current bidding choices; 2 of them are on an ending day of the week and the length of an auction. From the responses I receive I try to accommodate as many ppl's choices as I can.

Odessa, Tx

Hey Bobbie,
That is some great helpful hints for a succecful auction.
Thank you so much for your participation in this thread  :hug:

NiokaBears Nioka Bears

Gee this is actually quite an interesting thread!! I have been away from the bears for a couple of years now and YES....it is most certainly like starting from SCRATCH all over again, especially on ebay!! I 'used' to get loads of watchers and mostly no shortage of bids BUT now I am lucky to have a couple of watchers.....I guess I will see how the bids go over the next few weeks LOL BUT I must admit to feeling very much like my bears and I are on trial or something...LOL! I guess after a couple of years absense, I shouldn't be surprised if my bears & I have been forgotten!  bear_cry Oh well.....hopefully I will make a whole new set of friends and collectors!

One thing I will say is that it is great for ME to see many of my old favourites still around as I definately haven't forgotten YOU!!

HUGS,
Christine

Board footer