Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

NiokaBears Nioka Bears

Hi everyone,
I am wanting to put those little white eye liner thingies (Do they have a proper nam? LOL) on the bear I am working on at the moment and am wondering what techniques other artists use to do this??

.....same with the eyelids! I make a little pocket so there is no glueing.....i.e a full circle and a half circle stitched together ...is that what othes do too?

I would love to havew some input on this!  bear_original

HUGS,
Christine

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Christine!

I needlefelt the eye whites on.  The few times I have done eyelids I have used cording.... and yet, a touch of glue helps to keep it in place... but the cording actually runs from the back of the neck, to the eye and back down thru the head again.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hi Christine, I love your bears by the way.  I remember seeing them a couple of years ago for the first time in a magazine and was in love with the feet and faces.  Nice to see you back to  bearmaking. 

Anyway for eyes whites I think many of use use a cirlce of uultrasuede or felt cut a bit bigger than the eyes.  Poke a hole in the center and put the eye wire through that. Insert eyes as usual. 

The cording is done with either leather or elastic.  Check out the library section you'll see all of these previous posts to get detailed info.

http://www.teddy-talk.com/search.php?se … 1528030830

NiokaBears Nioka Bears

Hi Laura & Tammy,
Thanks for the info! I had wondered about cording and have heard about it BUT don't really know anything much about it or how to do it etc so I will do a search! Should of thought of that in the first place! LOL!

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

With the eyelids that I have been doing lately, I have attached the eye, then cut a circle of white felt and then cut it in half.  Then I place the half circle around each eye using a doll needle to push it under the eye.  When I feel the whites are the same size showing and in the right position I then glue them in place with craft glue...

I seem to get the same ammount of white showing on each eye this way, putting the felt on the back of the eye and then attaching the eye I was always trim, trim, trimming to get the whites equal...

Just another way for this procedure...

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Hi Denise,

Thank you for sharing that wonderful tip. I have the worse time getting the whites even. I've taken out the eyes out and just left off the whites because I couldn't get them right. I'll give this a try next time.

Hugs,

bearsbylisa Posts: 8

Hi, I too am interested in eyelids but haven't really seen many examples yet. Can anyone suggest a site with good pictures and possibly detailed instructions for the full look?  I haven't tried them yet but they sound interesting!  :photo:

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Hi!

For getting perfect circles I use the same tool that Jane talks about here:
http://teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=9421    Jane's post starts on #13 and she gives a pic of the tool.  I got mine for $19 on amazon (can find on ebay too) and it's a must have for me.  I don't do a whole lot of eye white with my bears, but when I do the hassle of trying to hand cut wasted too much time. 

And it's just not for eye whites....I use this machine for any little detail or decoration that needs a perfect circle of fabric. The tool has paid for itself.  (because this is made for machine work it may come to you fully oiled...I soaked mine in Dawn Soap and then dried really well to avoid rusting...it's perfect now.  If the screw threads need oiling in the future I'll use something light and use a Qtip for application so my fabrics aren't affected)

:hug:
~Chrissi

bearsbylisa Posts: 8

chrissi - Wow.......thanks for the great info.   :clap:   I was able to access the link and get to the details.  I really appreciate it.  Another fun teddy idea to try!  Have a nice day!  Lisa

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

tuppies teddies wrote:

I seem to get the same ammount of white showing on each eye this way, putting the felt on the back of the eye and then attaching the eye I was always trim, trim, trimming to get the whites equal...

Just another way for this procedure...

LOL!!!  I just couldn't seem to get it right doing it this way... I kept trimming each one to try to get them equal and ended up with nothing left...  :crackup:

Board footer