Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

sewing stars sewing stars
providence, rhode island

i have seen that many of you place ads in the teddy bear magazines, i was curious, does this help with your marketing & drive more business to your sites? what has your experience doing this been like? was it worth the cost?

this inquiring newbie would like to know... bear_grin

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I've only just recently decided to try advertising in a teddy mag, so I can't talk to the success of it just yet...hopefully I will!!

Best advice I got was just to submit as many quality photos as I could to as many magazines as I could. I don't think that ever stops....if you've got a great design send it in and see if it's used!  Most teddy mags have a section especially for artist submissions, newbies, etc.  Plus if they have your photos on file they might work into another piece all together.  Joining any and all well produced events and sites can be very rewarding too.  Some are free, some have fees...but most that have fees wind up paying for themselves in the end. 

:hug:
~Chrissi

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

My ads in mags have paid for themselves.
Many will tell you it's exposure that matters most and keeping yourself in the public eye. I agee with this completely! But paid ads are expensive if they are just going to give you exposure!!!
Submit to the free sections of the mags like Chrissi mentioned. They all have them.
Write to the editors... tell them why your bears are special and why an editorial on you would be in their interest. I think with so many artists you have to call attention to yourself. Don't wait to be 'found'!
All of this takes time with no guarantees but I'm sure you'll have luck.
And I wouldn't shy away from a magazine ad, they really can pay off. Expecially if you can time it so that you have a little write up about you in the free section at the same time you have a paid ad.... double the exposure in one issue can really spark people's curiosity about you!

providence, rhode island

that is great to know! i will try and make up some media packs.
i just worry sometimes my bears are too weird looking...but that
is great advice daphne, "Don't wait to be 'found'!".

you all make me so happy i found these boards! thanks!! bear_wub

and chrissi, your bears are amazing! i am sure it will pay off for you!

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton
sewing stars wrote:

i just worry sometimes my bears are too weird looking...

Ahem...Charming, innocent, sweet, darling, precious, gentle, remindmeoflittlechildrenandasimplertime....YES! bear_laugh

WEIRD....NO! bear_shocked

Cheryl bear_flower

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

teresa!
Ah..weird NO!! I wish I was going to be at the Nevada Show..just to get first dibs on your table bear_original   I think your dressed bears are beyond precious!!  I usually buy boy bears for some reason (??hmm..maybe a topic of what's in your collection: boys or girls)...but your avatar bear and the pink girly in the green sweater are sooooo sweet! Fantastic use of colors and textures bear_flower

:hug:
~Chrissi

burlisonbears Burlison Bears
Louisville, Kentucky

Teresa,

Your bears are not weird!! They are adorable and I wish I could afford to buy one! I love your style so much!
They are unique and colorful and so sweet!

-Eliza

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Your bears are so unique and refreshing!!! They are colorful and fun and lighten my heart when I see them!

You had better not sell out at NC because I'm anxious to see your table at the New England Spring Show full of color and life with all of those charming bears of yours! :dance:  :dance:

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website
sewing stars wrote:

i just worry sometimes my bears are too weird looking..

NO WAY!!!!! If I had to pick my top three favorite bears, yours would be in that top three.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

providence, rhode island

oh my gosh! you guys are so sweet!  bear_wub

and i promise to come prepared to the new england show too daphne! i have been sewing double time to make sure i have enough done. bear_wacko

Board footer