Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I've had two customers want Global Express Shipping. However, their minimum box size they will ship is 12x9x1, which is too flat for my bears. I have to go up to 12x9x4 and my bears are all under 1 lb. This size to ship is $60. Shocking. But they won't ship a smaller box. One of my customers was suprised at the cost because she has stuff shipped from the US all the time. Thing is...I am getting screwed because it's like I am shipping a raisin in a refrigerator box but still getting charged. But that's the way the postal system works.

My next option is USPS Airmail Parcel Post which takes 4-10 days and is under $20 insured. I think this is a good option. The only thing is you cannot track it.

Am I missing something here? Have I exhausted all my options?

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

Can you go over the options with your buyer? If they can see the ridiculousness of the Global requirements they might choose Express or something else. It may be that Global arrives within a short time and they like that - or insurance might be a more important concern than speed, or what have you. See how they prioritize the features that they need, & surely there is an option that can please them. In these instances I rely on the real live workers at the PO, cos often their info is not the same as on the website. This alarms me to some degree, but everything I've mailed overseas and domestically has arrived so far.  bear_ermm

Knock wood!

Global Express can't manage a frickin cube-shaped box smaller than 12" on a side?? I suggest you pack your packages as you would for safe delivery, and bring them to the PO & say "WHAT CAN YA DO FOR ME?"

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website
toadbriar wrote:

Global Express can't manage a frickin cube-shaped box smaller than 12" on a side?? I suggest
you pack your packages as you would for safe delivery, and bring them to the PO & say "WHAT
CAN YA DO FOR ME?"

I KNOW! It seems crazy. I will have to go over there and chat with a PO worker because it seems crazy that I cannot track a small package. The box size I use is just under their requirements and it fits my bears perfectly...11.75x8x4.75.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I usually ship Global Express internationally, Jennifer, and I use a box larger than the one you state so I'm not familiar with the size requirements you mention. 

BUT... I don't think I've EVER paid $60 to ship internationally, anywhere!  More like $30-$40.  And that's for a pretty heavy (4-5 pound) parcel.

Something therefore seems amiss here...

I'd hit the post office counter in person and ask!

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Shelli, are you using Global Express MAIL or Global Express Guaranteed? The GE Guaranteed is the pricey one. But I dont see a size limit for GE Mail, but that one coincides with the pricing you are stating. And if I can use that service, I most definitely will. I am going to have to drive over there and ask because their website doesn't state the size limits other than 79 inches girth. But they make it sound like it's a DOCUMENT service and not parcel. But I like the pricing much better!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I don't even know what Global Express Guaranteed is!  So I guess that answers your question.  I haven't shipped GEM in a while but if memory serves, it comes with the first $100 of insurance as part of your price and because of that it IS trackable, if that's your concern.

What's the "guarantee" part???  Timeline for delivery?

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Yes I think you are shipping GE Mail because it does come with $100 insurance. Up to one pound is $27.50, that is what I would use. The guaranteed service, for an arm and leg more, gets it there one day faster and in some countries one day service.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

See this is what I am afraid of with over seas shipping !! I don't want to make the customer upset but If I have to pay out of my pocket $60.00 for a $100.00 bear .... well you see my point. I need to know the best way to ship over seas and have it insured and tracked and to be able to figure that out before it is shipped so as the customer can pay it with their bill for the bear. bear_cry  bear_wacko

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I am going to go talk to a real person at the PO. When I find out the details I will post. I'd sure love to spend $27.50 with tracking and insurance. That's a deal!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

GEM is quicker than you'd think.  I can't recall a time that it took more than five business days for a parcel to arrive internationally, according to feedback from my buyers.  As I said, I've done this only a handful of times, but it's surprisingly fast and in most cases, cheaper than Airmail Parcel Post given the extra features (insurance, tracking, etc.)

Do let us know what you find, Jennifer!

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Jen , thanks.. Like I said before I want to open up to over seas sales but I want the customer and me to have a good experience  :dance:

I shipped once to only Canada  by mail and it was over $17.00 she really was up set with me because she said she never paid over 5 before. But I double checked at post office and that was the correct amount, she still bought because she wanted the bunny , but I have always felt bad making something that is susposed to be happy a bummer !!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Well, if a customer WANTED to have their bear delivered in one day I'd use the guaranteed service, I guess.  But I've never met anyone so interested in having their bear RIGHT NOW that they'd be willing to pay an extra $30-$50 for overnight (or nearly so) service!

Ultimately I leave these things up to my customers and I guess it's just never come up that they want that the bear THAT fast!

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA
Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

GEM -- Global Express Mail, Jodi. bear_original  That's a different thing from Global Express GUARANTEED, which is more like the "FedEx Overnight" of international shipping.

Both of these services under discussion, offered by the USPS.  Certainly UPS, FedEx, etc. have their own options as well!

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

I lost track !! Excuse me !!:redface:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

No worries.  It still confuses me and I've DONE IT a handful of times already!!!   :hug:

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

I've learnt in the past as I've shipped internationally.  To go down to the post office  and have it weighed and advise the customer that you will get the exact postage that is required and let them know before the transaction goes through.

It makes everyone happy and I always have the customer pay the shipping as part of the transaction.

Hope that helps.

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I ordered a magazine from Japan and the shipping was $13. I had to have it, couldn't find it in the states. I can't imagine anybody doing a lot of business would think it would $5 to ship a box to Canada from the US! It costs more than that to ship a box across town.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Jen ... YES I know !! I usually have to charge any where from 6 to 9 dollars to ship in the USA.

Board footer