Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi trusted bear friends (artists and collectors, both!)

As some of you may have seen, I've made these soft stuffed IMPS for my upcoming show.  See photo, below.

NevadaCityIMPS2.jpg

I'm really struggling with pricing on these guys.  I don't want to underprice them because all told, they weren't cheap to make, and they took over an hour each to make so that labor cost adds up.  But if people don't recognize the amount of time and care that went into them, I might be perceived as overpricing what amounts to fancy stuffed cat toys (they kinda look like those crinkly-filled, screenprinted ones at first glance!  Laughing here.)

Can you offer me some pricing guidance, please?  How would you price them if they were your handmade goods?  Or maybe even better... what would you pay for them, assuming they speak to you and are something you'd want to bring home?

Some info that might help you form an informed answer:

--  They took just over one full hour of labor to complete, each (not including time spent shopping for materials or prep time for the faces)
--  They're all one of a kind and the fabrics an dribbons used in each one are all different.  Each IMP is made from three fabrics (top, bottom, arms)
--  The faces are printed onto "cotton paper" and took a long while to dry/press/rinse/press/stabilize/attach
--  The faces are prints of an original doll I made meaning that this look can't be found anywhere else in the world
--  They measure 8" - 10" tall and about 3" wide
--  Several feature hand-stamped slogans and/or hand embroidered details

Thanks in advance for your help!  I'm really pretty stymied on this one.  And the folks who surround me, who are trying to be supportive, aren't being helpful at all.  "Charge $50 each."  Umm... I think NOT.  Way too high, even given all the above!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Hi Shel,
Um....I don't think that pricing is off actually.

Let look at things that are considered "artisan".... ...

These are pillows.  These sell...they have 'em every year with new sayings.
Cute "designer" (even gave the designers name) pillows sold by Garnet Hill: $48 each
pillow.jpg

Sundance catalog:
Square wool pillow $55 pillow_2.jpg

Hand Embroidered Pillow: $155 pillow3.jpg

Your pieces aren't cat toys or pillows..they are artisan collectible (doll) pieces and should be priced accordingly.  I was at a fair where the only bear artist there was selling cat toys made from recycled furs and even those were $20-$25.  They were just oval fur "mice" with a tail. No details at all, just a stuffed oval with a "tail"....and they sold too.  Some of the simplist artist "plushie" toys..... a shape with eyes...go for $30-$40 each.  I've seen plain, undressed sock monkeys selling for $45.....and dressed ones selling for much much more.  Poke around on eBay....Click on home page Antiques and then hit Primitives for artisan soft sculptures/raggedy/keepsakes.

If you're still back and forth on a number, maybe stick with the $$ per inch rule for these. (??) I wouldn't go ANY lower than $10 per inch.  Maybe it's me living in an very artsy area filled with boutiques and being so close to Philly and NYC....but these wouldn't be priced lower than $50 around here.

Figure out a price quick 'cause I want to buy one before the show  bear_laugh 
The teddy and imp are PRECIOUS!!

:hug:
~Chrissi

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Shelli I would say about $30-$40....and they make me laugh!  How cute, fun and whimsical they are....

And everyone is always telling me that I price stuff too low....but I figure if it doesn't sell perhaps I expected too much?

I figure out to the penny what it cost me to make and then I double it..this is on the little gollies, which take longer than your imps, but not that much longer......

I like the third from the left in blue.....who's to say why.....but she sings to me.....I think they will sell though, they are so totaly different and so totaly you!

But no, you don't look like your imps.....or........

Everything Aleta and Chrissi said goes for me too-but this caveat;

your imps will be appealing to a smaller crowd than the teddies who will be wanted by everyone! 

Kind of like gollies-not that many people want gollies, so hang in there
don't get disappointed if they don't sell the way I think they should....it take time with some little ones who are off the wall a little different...

PS.    If blue kittycat lady doesn't sell in Nevada, let me know..... :hug:

best wishes my ladyfriend.....you'll do well, but most importantly....please remember to relax and have a wonderful time!

dilu

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

yeah, don't go too low  bear_wacko  I'd say the $50 or us the $48 to make it look less  bear_tongue  Good luck  :hug:

dogdayafternoon South

Hi Shelli,
  From a collectors view and from seeing your work, I would say price it at around 62.50.  They are cute as can be.  And just from this computer, they are very detailed and I would love to buy the one on the left, but know they will all be gone by the time you return from the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Really?  Ya think?  That doesn't sound too high to you??

I'm thinking if I do price them near (even over) $50, I just might have some (or all) of them left after the NC show after all. It's pretty much bears only there, so these are a true experiment for my table.  Not sure what their reception will be.

$50 ish?  Really???

I do appreciate your votes of confidence.  Thanks for that!

Shelli wrote:

Really?  Ya think?  That doesn't sound too high to you??

Nope!

You could always test one out on eBay...see what happens.  I don't think it would go for less than $50.

Don't under price yourself on these...yes they're smaller and cute....but within the collectible art realm that rarely means a lower price. (look what some ATC go for) I'm not saying to over price, not at all...but compare it to other "well known" artists who do smaller quirky cute items. They're not underpricing themselves at all...they sell and they're in demand when they come to market. 

As a collector I may not be able to afford one of your bears right now, but I could afford one of these to place with my bears....it's still very much within reach.  And obviously still very much a detailed original item. 

~Chrissi

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

MY GOSH.  Shelli, I was thinking about what I'd pay and I was going to bid $125.  If you are only charging $50, I would please please PLEASE like to reserve the one with the star?  It really speaks to me, and I don't really know why.  Of course, I understand if you are saving 'em for the show [which I will NOT be at *SULK* ].

Amelia

Kalispell, Montana

---I think you need to check out the ragdolls on eBay.  paulasdollhouse is a good one, lemme think...another great one is zayinstar [or something like that]...

A.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I am a member of a doll guild where the majority of the folks do cloth dolls. Most of them sell their dolls really cheap (in my opinion, anyway $18-35). I don't know if that's just what cloth dolls go for... On the other hand none of them are well known for making beautiful teddy bears. If these little gals (guys?) speak to your collectors, they will expect to pay a certain amount simply because they are buying a Potbelly Artwork! Your name and reputation carry some clout. I asked my hubby to and he said, "$50" after just looking at them, not hearing any of the dicussion.
It sounds like if you don't sell them at the show, you'll have TTers lined up to buy them anyway! Every time I look at them, I like a different one best!! They are all so fun and unique

fribblesltd wrote:

MY GOSH.  Shelli, I was thinking about what I'd pay and I was going to bid $125.  If you are only charging $50, I would please please PLEASE like to reserve the one with the star?  It really speaks to me, and I don't really know why.  Of course, I understand if you are saving 'em for the show [which I will NOT be at *SULK* ].

Amelia

No way dude....that's the one I LOVE! bear_tongue  bear_laugh  :hug:  (mentioned above.... and the teddy)

SEE Shel....put her on eBay and you've already got 2 of us who want her and would bid.

Totally check out the areas Amelia mentioned on ebay and do some snooping around out there....you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

Are yah gonna list one...huh huh huh bear_grin

~Chrissi

Kalispell, Montana

You can have the teddy, I wasn't poaching on the teddy!!  'sides, maybe she'll make another one with a star on it just for you.

..pbbbbbbbbbbbbbft!!  bear_original ;)

Amelia *who totally didn't realize that Chrissy meant THAT imp*   :redface:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

You guys are cracking me up and having me dreaming about big $$$, too!  Cut that out, Shel!  bear_tongue

The actual "imp" among the IMPS was the original pattern and the animal eared ones were more of an afterthought amendment to that pattern.  I enjoyed making them and they're a nice departure from the bears for a brief spell so I'll make more!  There are going to NC - ALL OF THEM! -- but when I return if there are any left (and I think there will be because it's a bear audience there), I'll tell you all first for sure!  And sure, maybe I'll try a sale on eBay to test out my new dollmaking ID there, but not til after the show.  I've been creating all this other stuff and haven't made many bears yet.  More on THAT later...

Thanks again for your thoughtful input.  It's very appreciated.  And validating.  Debbie, a special shout out to you for giving the ultra important collectors perspective.  Thank you!

fribblesltd wrote:

You can have the teddy, I wasn't poaching on the teddy!!  'sides, maybe she'll make another one with a star on it just for you.

..pbbbbbbbbbbbbbft!!  bear_original ;)

Amelia *who totally didn't realize that Chrissy meant THAT imp*   :redface:

Oh, you know I was just playing...least I hope you do  :hug:  bear_laugh  (you can't use a  bear_tongue  and not be playing)
I had to go look up what "imp" was....I thought that one alone was an imp (pixie girly imp)..and the others were bunnies, cats and bears  :doh:   HA! I didn't even see her first 2 sentences above the photo ...I was totally going off of what I read on Shelli's blog the other day about these little ones. (my bad bear_whistle ) bear_grin

~Chrissi

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

You know Shelli I think you will sell out of them.  They are wonderful and quirky and if you priced them at $48.00 or $50.00  (I think $48.00 as a number is more appealing to people) you will sell out of them.  We had this discussion awhile ago on another thread about having something on your table that was affordable to everyone, not everyone can afford an artist teddy bear.  These little imps will fill a void and I can gurantee you that people will snap them up because the price is good and people are going to love them.

Hugs

Shane

Kalispell, Montana

Yeah, Chrissi, I was just playing..  bear_laugh 

---especially since Shelli is holding 'em hostage for Nevada City.  Hrm.  I see the beginnings of a VISA commercial here---

round trip tickets: $385
hotel room: $675
food and drink so one doesn't die of starvation: $125
taxi ride to bear show: $55
imp: $50
assorted other bear purchases that one just had to adopt while getting to table with imp on it: $5,743.86
meeting Shelli in person: priceless

--telling husband how much trip cost: painful..

Anyways!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 0098446480 

I LOVE Paula's work...and here is one of my favorites from zayinstar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … %26fvi%3D1

To me, your imps are just as unique a look and gorgeous as these artists work.  A simpler pattern, perhaps, but still absolutely gorgeous!

Amelia

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Urgh, don't ask me! LOL

Although I have to say they are super cute and creative and for sure you will sell out no matter what you price them as.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Heather, that perspective is okay too!  bear_original  I hope people who think $50 for these is totally nutso will feel free to post, too.  I'm not looking for pats on the back (although admittedly that's always nice), but for honest opinions no matter what they are.  Again, what I'm after is knowing how you'd price such a ware if you were offering it... or, if you're a collector, what you think something like this might be worth (what you'd spend on it.)  Obviously, if you don't like these particular offerings you should substitute something similar when forming your answer!

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Hi Shelli,

They are wonderful!  bear_flower  I would think they could easily go for over $100.00.  Check out these dolls with a similar construction.   http://www.pencilfight.org/newshowroom/ … dolls.html

I bet you sell out quickly at $50.00.  Good luck at the show!

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hmmmm I have been thinking about this more and more Shelli and I think I need to revise my previous statement  bear_grin  bear_grin ,  I believe that you could easily sell them for closer to a $100.00, I think $50.00 is going to be far to low.  I have done some searching around online and I think at $100.00 you would be pretty much inline with other artist work for similiar dolls.  If you don't sell them at NC trust me there are enough people on TT who would buy them that's for sure.   Pricing can sometimes be difficult and it's difficult to even price your own work and I do believe that a lot of artist do undersell themselves (other's are way out of line with their prices) so it's a tough call, but  I think closer to 100.00 would be best.

big hugs

Shane

sewing stars sewing stars
providence, rhode island

finally something i know a little more about here!  bear_grin

charge $50. if they are still around by day 3 then drop the price, but i really think $50 is totally reasonable for those guys.

I charge $30 for my owls:
306567087_ebcd608a51_m.jpg

they sell at that price no problem, and they are only 5" tall.

in fact, if i do make any money at NC and you still have some i am totally getting one!! bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, Shelli . . . your repertoire just grows and grows.  The IMPS are wonderful and funky and I hope you have great luck with them at the show!  I had the same problem trying to price my golly dolls - just had no idea of what to ask for them.  They are 12" and aren't jointed.  The hair is synthetic fur, the eyes are plastic, and the bodies are made out of black flannel.  I ended up selling this pair for $100.00 . . . $50.00 each.  I hope you don't mind my horning in on your thread, but I could use some direction in pricing future gollies.  As for your sooooo creative IMPS, I too would go with at least $50.00 each.
GollyDoll.jpg
MauryGolly.jpg

sarahjane Brisbane

Yep Shelli I would go at least $50.00......You don't want to undersell your work!!!  bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

You guys are just the best; thanks for input.  It helps a lot.

Sue Ann, if I can sell my IMPS for $50 you can certainly sell your gollies for that and then some!  The imps have intrinsic "outfits", meaning their "clothing" such as it is, is sewn into their pattern.  You made actual garments for your gollies; so much work!  And so, so cute!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Shelli your dolls are wonderful and I would not undersell your work - I would go for a least $50 - $75 best of luck with them, at the show.

Sue ann your Gollys are so cute.

Hugs
Carolyn

bear_flower

Board footer