Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I have a bear that I am thinking of entering in one of the end of the year contests (Golden Teddy etc.).  If I sell this bear can I still enter him?

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Oh good question,I'm thinking about the same thing ad hope that members who have entered before can give advice.There are so many awesome artists but just the thought of entering and the wonder of even being nominated would be wonderful  bear_laugh (dream,dream) sigh.

Hugs and blessings.Shari.

yosemitebearworks Oakhurst, CA
Website

Hi Millie,   

Yes, you can sell the bear before entering the Golden Teddy or Toby contests.  I have done this several times and I know that the information on the Toby entry specifically says that you can sell it and am certain that the Golden Teddy is the same.  Since the contests are judged strictly by photos, you don't need to have the bear in your possession -- just make sure you have fantastic photos before you let it go!

The only other thing is, you might actually win a nomination and then wish you had the bear back (it would certainly sell for a higher price as an award winner :D!)  That happened to me a few years ago -- so I'm trying to hold on to a few of my "possibility" bears this year -- just in case.

Good luck with your entry!
Donna

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi!  I still haven't gotten up the nerve to enter a bear in one of the big contests, so mind you, I am NOT speaking from experience here.... But if it were me, I'd keep a bear that I was planning on entering in the contest.  If he ended up being nominated, I'd probably want to hang onto him forever!  The flip side of the coin is.... if you aren't hopelessly attached to him, & you wait to sell him until after the nominations go out, and you happen to garner one.... I'm sure he's instantly more valuable to many a collector.
In 2004, I did enter a bear into one of the European contests for minis (Teddy Bear Club International-- I was able to enter in the novice category!)  It was free, so I just took a deep breath and did it.... well, I kept the bear for a week or so after I entered the contest... then decided there would be no way I would ever win, so I sold her on e Bay.  Well, many moons later, wouldn't you know it... my bear won... Flat out Won!!!  Now, she went for a nice price to a very sweet lady who makes bears herself as well.... someone whom I consider a true friend at this point. 
From an eligibility point of view.... Isn't there some kind of language that deals with when the bear must have been made and whether/when it was offered to sale for the public?

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Kim,

I think you hit the nail on the head.  I am attached to "Rupert".  I don't quite know why, but I just love this bear.  He's sitting here looking at me right now.  Maybe I won't sell him.  Decisions, decisions.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I think it has to be a new piece, for example, made since March 2005, to be entered into the 2006 contests... but do check the rules when they become available online for specifics.

Also, I'm 100% certain the piece can already be sold and out of your possession, for both contests, unless they are changing the rules this year.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Shelli and Donna are correct.  Teddy Bear and Friends competition info will be on their site Oct. 1st.

Deb Upstate New York

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?  They don't want to examine the bear?  Holy cow.  Guess that surprises me.

Board footer