Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

We just came back from Pennsylvania and saw a lot of the news coverage there.  For some cosmic reason I don't understand, we seem to be destined to be in the U.S. whenever these major incidents happen.  We were there for Waco, Oklahoma City, Columbine, Princess Diana's death, 911, the sniper shootings in Virginia and now the Virginia Tech shootings.  It has put us in the position to see how the U.S. television stations and newspapers cover the stories, compared to the Canadian coverage, and we find quite a difference in sensationalism.  Canadian coverage can be over the top too, at times, but as far as I know, none of the Canadian stations aired any coverage of the videos etc.  I wish they would pass laws forbidding the names of the shooters to be made public.  The shooters are after attention, and they shouldn't get it.  It would help to protect the shooters families, who are victims as well.

I also think there should be a ban on automatic weapons being sold to the public, but with the NRA, it isn't going to happen soon.  At the very least, they should insert a "reference" section into the process of qualifying to buy a gun.  If this man had been required to get perhaps, two references from people who had know him for at least three years, he likely would not have been able to get the guns.  Maybe the answer is just making it harder to qualify for the guns. 

As for anti-depressants, I agree that they are extremely helpful for the majority of people who take them, and they have saved an undetermined amout of lives.  It's unfortunate that they have a negative affect on a tiny few, but I think this young man had many more issues than just being depressed. 

hugs,

Brenda

Dorothy Miss Dorothy's TeddyFolk
Alpine Ca.
Marlys wrote:
SueAnn wrote:

But, I have to come to the defense of anti-depressants.  Not all people who take them become homicidal maniacs.  Because of these medications, I am alive today and can function fairly well on a day to day basis . . .  but I am so grateful anti-depressants are available and that I can take them without horrible side effects.

Me, too, Sue Ann.

Me too,  bear_thumb
Dorothy

Board footer