Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

burlisonbears Burlison Bears
Louisville, Kentucky

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to share my exciting news...which is we're finally getting the heck out of Kansas and moving to Massachusetts! After 12 years of additional schooling my husband has finally gotten his first job! Awww! Haha!
Joseph is a chemist. He did graduate school at the University of Tennessee (TN is where we grew up) and then a 2 year post-doc here at The University of Kansas. Now us southerners are heading up northeast to New England and we're just thrilled to pieces!

We'll be close to the Boston area...and we've never even been there...Joseph only did a quick interview but didn't get to look around the area. So we'll have lots of fun exploring. I've already secured an apartment for us in a little town called Burlington...hmm, kinda similar to Burlison isn't it?

One thing we can't believe is the high cost of living! My dad told me that Boston and surrounding area is the 2nd highest cost of living in America! And boy is he right! For a one bedroom apartment we have to pay $1340 a month as opposed to the one bedroom apartment we have right now in Kansas which is only $581 a month. That's just crazy! And that was one of the cheaper places I found on rent.com. Yikes! And it costs $75 a month for our dog to live with us and $35 a month for our cat to live with us! I've never heard of such outrageous prices!

Aside from the high costs I think Boston area is going to be a lot of fun. I can't wait to see the ocean! I've only seen it a few times in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina.

Since I know nothing about Massachusetts (on account of being a small town southern gal) can anyone share anything about it? Anyone here live there? Anyone visited? What's it like? How are the winters there? etc. etc.
Any information I can find out would be much appreciated!

-Eliza  bear_laugh

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

YAY - congrats!!!!!  :clap:  :clap:  :dance:  :dance: Ah I am about 1.5 hours drive west of you.
(we're in a little cottage on a few acres & it's $750 rent, so there's plenty of variety through the state!)
Boston is great!! It is such a fun city, and you have the most beautiful towns and coast and camping
just a little bit of a drive away.

Well - how are you for driving in winter? You'll have done some of that in Kansas, right? I'd rather drive
in a blizzard up here than a dusting of snow down south. In the city like you are, they'll be quick with the
plows and clearing it all. The important thing is that everyone ELSE knows how to drive in it.

Boston's kind of....exciting....to drive in. Take the T when you can (the subway system is GREAT)
The roads are NOT on grids over here - it's an old city, where paths followed shorelines and rivers and stuff!
Get yourself a state atlas to keep in the car.
Do you know how to go around rotaries?

Boston drivers can be.....assertive.....how good are you at making a left hand turn on redbear_shocked

Welcome to my favorite part of the world  bear_grin

P.S. You're not a yankees fan are you???  bear_ermm  :doh:

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Wow, what exciting news and what a big move for you. You say you've already secured and apartment so the move must be right away. Good luck

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Honey, Burlington isn't a little town! But a great commute to Boston and so close to so many things! You'll be less than a 1/2 hour from Boston, an hour to the coast of Maine and NH  and about an hour to Cape Cod. I used to live 20 minutes south of Burlington in a town called Needham. Lived there for 4 years then on Cape Cod for 10. Lots of great places to visit on the Cape. Boston has tons of museums, the Aquarium, the historic district, China town and shopping galore! And the North End has delicious Italian restaurants and bakeries. Boston also has some of the best hospitals... I'll be at one all of next week with my Dad. My favorite little town to shop in is Concord....  very unique "main street" shops. Love it! Not far from Burlington. Then there's the mountains... in the western part of Mass. and then north into NH and VT..... You'll be an hour's drive from me! Come visit!

My husbands family all live in the Concord/Wellesley/Boston area and we're there a lot. Let me know if you ever need to be pointed in the direction of anything in particular and I'll see what I can do to help!

As for Massachusetts drivers... well, I am one, I learned how to drive in Boston... but I'm not quite as rude! If you are timid about traffic, rotaries, narrow streets, etc. take a cab or the T (subway) when you go in town. Even out of Boston they are still always in a huge hurry and have no manners. If I've offended anyone I'm sorry! There are always exceptions and I do like to consider myself one! Course I've lived in the mountains long enough now that I've mellowed out... or perhaps it's age?? :crackup:

Anyway, you'll love it in New England I'm sure! Every season is beautiful and you have the best of the city, country, mountains and ocean all within a very short drive!

I agree..... BUY A STREET MAP!

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Hi, Eliza!!!   bear_grin 

I'm in Bedford -- about 15 minutes southwest of Burlington (Bedford and Burlington actually touch.)  We're about 7 minutes from Concord center.  I like going there, also.  Burlington has a big mall and lots of shops.  The winters here are long, but the summers are very nice.   There are so many things to do around Boston -- lots of art and historical places to visit.

Oh, if you like antiquing, there is a great outdoor antique show called Brimfield in Sturbridge (about an hour away).  It's held three times a year in May, July, and September.  It's a lot of fun.  There's also a big vintage textile and clothing show in Sturbridge that meets at the same time.

Welcome, neighbor!  bear_flower   bear_flower  bear_flower

Louisville, Kentucky

Oh that's sounds so wonderful, you guys! I didn't realize that the mountains were so close! I'm very partial to mountains as I used to live in the Southern Appalachain area of TN!

Living in the south we never had any big winters. Our first winter here in Kansas we had 7-8 inches at one time and that just blew our minds! This past winter here was very mild...hardly any snow but we got ice quite a few times. So it sounds like winter will be the real thing in MA. I'm not used to being cold! I will however be thrilled with the milder summers. Southern summers are always in the 90s and last year in Kansas we had temps as high as 107 degrees! I looked at weather charts for average temps in MA and it said that summers are normally in the 80s. I hope that's right!

We will be moving in mid June. Not that many weeks away!

You guys have got me scared about the driving though!  bear_shocked  Um, I'm a very nervous driver as it is.... since I was in a really bad wreck a few years back. I'm sure I'll be getting Joseph to do most of the driving whenever we visit Boston! Maybe we'll do the cab thing! I've only been in a cab one time in my life!

Thanks Daphne for the places of interest to visit! Sounds like a lot of fun!

And Kim do they really turn left on red? Is the driving worse than in Nashville? Everyone always says Nashvillians are the worst drivers in the country. Um, probably true to some extent!  bear_whistle

And um, no I can't say that I'm a Yankees fan! But I got nothing against them! Actually, the only sports I watch are football and basketball....and I only root for TN Titans, UT VOLS, and Kansas Jayhawks basketball. So I guess it just depends where I live...perhaps I'll become a Yankees fan after all!  bear_tongue

When Joseph interviewed there he said the accent is sooooo different from us! I can't wait to hear how people talk there! And I can't wait to experience the different seasons! And I'm curious as to what trees/flowers grow there and what kinds of wild animals live there. All that was interesting enough to us when we moved from TN to KS! I read that there is actually whale watching on the coast there. WOW! I've never even seen a whale!

Hooray! I can't wait to move!!   :dance:

-Eliza

Teddy Tales My Teddy Tales
Massachusetts

I agree , I never drive to Boston.I always take the bus or the T.  I think you'll love it here. If you don't like the weather just wait about 10 minutes it'll change(lol). Thats what almost everyone that lives in New England says about the weather!!!!   You'll Love it!      Louise

Louisville, Kentucky

Thank you Ellen for the nice welcome!! You must have posted just seconds before me! WOW! We really will be neighbors! That's awesome!

Now I know a few teddy artists in MA! We'll have to all meet up someday!!

-Eliza

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

P.S.  I have to echo Kim and Daphne about the driving and drivers here.  You can always get the train (Billerica might be the closest station to you) if you don't like to drive into Boston.  Parking is not fun there, either.  You can also drive into Alewife (T station in west Cambridge), park there, and take the T into Cambridge or Boston.  bear_tongue

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Yes, let's do!!

Let me know if I can be of help with anything, also.

Louisville, Kentucky

Thanks Louise!! Another teddy artist in MA! How many more live in Massachusetts I'm now wondering!

If you live in Massachusetts let me know! And post the good/bad about living there! I'm very curious!

-Eliza  bear_grin

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

bear_original

Hello,
I don't live in Massachussetts but close, in CT.  Takes approx 2 hrs to get there.  Nice place to visit..clean!!

And the weather here is great now.!!! Sun.sun and sunburnt!!!

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Eliza,
We moved away from western Mass nearly 15 years ago to Northern NM...Have been back east 3 times in all this time...but not back to Mass...only as far as upstate NY where I grew up...lived in Mass for many years...raised our son there..had 2 different basket shops there...many good memories...but love NM so much now. Wishing you much luck with your move!!!
Hugs &

sewing stars sewing stars
providence, rhode island

hey you will be closer to me!! maybe once you are settled in we can hang out!

also, since you looking at boston, let me recommend the somerville area. it is where a lot of people i know live, it is its own city right next to boston, and it is very community oriented. i have LOTS of friends that either live there now, or lived there at one point. i can ask them how they found their apartments. and boston is super expensive...if you see an apartment with heat included snatch it up. that is my main issue in rhode island, the heating bills...

congrats on escaping kansas! bear_grin

Louisville, Kentucky

Hey Teresa!

Awesome! Another teddy talker who will be nearby! I'd love to hang out!

And yes, we are very happy to escape Kansas!!  :crackup:
No offense to any Kansans on this board.  bear_tongue

-Eliza

Bayside Bears Bayside Bears
Cape Cod, MA

Hi ELiza,

I live in Brewster, on Cape Cod. I am originally from Braintree which is just ten miles south of Boston. Driving in Boston is confusing and frustrating not so much because  of the creative drivers, but it is a very old city with very old street layouts so it is very easy to get lost on one way streets or thrown totally because of a detour. Once you get out of the city, it isnt so bad. Here on Cape Cod,it is really beautiful and other than the tourist season from May to October, it is very peaceful. If you really want to see the ocean, the National Seashore on the Lower Cape is outstanding! I recommend when you get settled to make a point of visiting here. I'll be happy to guide you to the best places to visit that we 'natives' tend to keep secret!
OH, and we are all absolutely crazy about the Red Sox...people just don't believe how we are until they live here awhile and become one of the believers themselves.

Welcome to our side of the world!
Mary Lou Foley

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yes, Red Sox!! You don't want to be a Yankee's fan here!
And the Patriot's and the Bruins... I'm not in to sports much but I always root for the home team. bear_thumb

Louisville, Kentucky

Thanks Mary Lou! We'll definitely visit the Lower Cape! Sounds beautiful! I can't wait!

And yes, I'd love to hear the "natives" secret spots! Do tell!  bear_grin

-Eliza

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Eliza,

Congrats on your move!  I can't help you like the others, but I've visited there a couple of times, and it's pretty.  I stayed in Boston many years ago and loved the lobster rolls, Legal Seafood, and the aquarium (sp?).  We stayed in Plymouth a couple of years ago and drove around the Cape, which is nice. Good luck with the move!

I didn't know you're a Vols fan!  I'm a proud Gator (did my undergrad there)!  I'm sorry you're a Vols fan, but the fact that you like teddy bears makes up for it!  :crackup:    Go Gators!!!  Or should I say the Championship school!  Football and basketball are my 2 favorite sports to watch.

Louisville, Kentucky

Oh no! Not a gator fan!!!!!!!!! bear_shocked
My mortal enemy... bear_angry

Just kidding!  bear_grin

Go VOLS!  bear_happy

-Eliza

Board footer