Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I was just wondering how many heads do you do when making a bear so that it is how you want it?
When making bears I usually make a head and sometimes I love it,other times I think it is ok and other times I don't like it at all.I never know whether I should redo the head on those I don't like although I have found that people just as readily buy the ones I don't like so is it just personal taste?
I also wondered whether artists that make such similar bears have to keep trying to get the same look or do they just come out looking the same as I can never seem to get many of my bears to look the same as they seem to have a mind of their own when making them and they can all look so different you would never dream that I had used the same pattern in the same size.
Laurie :hug:

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

...hrm.  Well, I usually attach the head to the body and then sew the body up, that way whatever happens to the head I HAVE to make it work!!!  So I usually only do one head...now, redoing and ripping out the ears---THAT I can do over and over and over all day long!!

Amelia

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I always just do one head. It takes me days to do the head, so maybe bec. I'm soo slow I'm always happy with what I've done.

or maybe I've just been lucky so far..............

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

I only do one head, and it takes on it's personality from there.

I never use the same pattern So it's potluck as to how it will turn out.

But I do play with the ears and reposition them, usually I pin them and look at it through the day and then the next day I decide whether I like it and  "Viola"  a head is born..

annalong MadebyAnna

When I first started making bears I would go through many heads..We actually used them for cat toys for our siamese. He loves them. Now I usually stick with the first one I make.  .  I too have made bears that are not my 'favorite'.... for some reason they usually sell better. The ones that I think are cute..don't do well...I have yet to figure this out!! bear_ermm

sarahjane Brisbane

I do only one head and then make it work from there....but like Amelia the ears...well that's a different story!!!  bear_ermm

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I too have made bears that are not my 'favorite'.... for some reason they usually sell better. The ones that I think are cute..don't do well...I have yet to figure this out!!

snap!  I'm exactly the same Anna.  I made a bear for a swap last year and when I'd finished him, decided he was way to ugly to swap.  I took him to a show at the last minute - hid him on an unobtrusive spot on my stand and priced him about $20 lower than my nice bears.  Naturally he was the one bear that everyone picked up all morning.  I sold him just after lunch on the first day of the show and two people came back the next day specially for him  bear_wacko should have made him the most expensive bear!!

Having said that, my absolute favourite was the first one to sell. 

Back to the head thing...I will remake a head, very rarely.  At the moment though I've got one that I just can't get right.  She's meant to be delicate and girly and every head I make turns out a boy - and it's pale pink fabric - so frustrating!

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

It is interesting to see how artists make their bears and what they do to get them just right.Like you Anna I leave them for my balinese boys to play with if they aren't up to scratch.
I do like it when my bears all look so different as you never know what they will look like and that is part of the fun in making them but when I see artists bears that all look virtually the same bear in a different colour I sometimes wish I could do that with mine because when you have a piece of fur and know what you want it to look like and it comes out nothing like it is sooo frustrating bear_angry
I also find that if I don't like the bear I find it hard to make myself finish it but then if I don't like it it doesn't mean to say that a prospective buyer won't.  bear_ermm 
Laurie :hug:

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

LOL! When I was doing shows it was always the bear that I thought was "not quite right" (in my mind) that was the first to fly off my table. So I was so glad to read that this has happened to other artists.

Anyway, I always complete the head first then I make a body for that head. But there are always exceptions .... to my surprise bear_shocked  (and inital frustration bear_wacko ) my current ebay Panda auction required 2 heads. But the good news is  bear_original that now I have a perfectly good panda head that is just waiting for the right body.

~Kathy

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website
minkbears wrote:

... But the good news is  bear_original that now I have a perfectly good panda head that is just waiting for the right body.

~Kathy

help - i need some body, help ! not just any body !
(beatles - sorry !!!!)

cat xxx

Board footer