Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

marktaoh Posts: 3

bear_wacko
Hi All,
I normally photograph teds but have recently made some bears with reasonable success for my family.
I'm looking to buy a pattern for a realistic bear with double jointed neck, wrist and ankle joint that will stand at between 28" - 32" inches tall.  I want it to stand in the living room but am finding it difficult to buy a pattern as they contain "trade secrets"
If any one can help or advise I would be very greatful.
Thanks
Mark & Taoh

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

Hi,
This page was in my 'favorites' it may be helpful in making a pattern.
I've looked at many times, but haven't tried yet. bear_original
Hope it helps.

http://www.rotraud-ilisch.de/Pages/bearproportions.html

Joan

Thanks Joan
this is a good starting point. I will try but make it out of cotton before I dare cut from Mohair.
Thanks
Mark and Taoh :hug:

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Thanks for the Link Joan,  we took a class from Rotraud in England a couple of yrs ago.  She really has a lot of knowledge to spread around.  Of course we don't make the same type of bears that she does so it was really funny to us,  she kept trying to get me to change the ear placement on my bears head as I like them really low and sticking down bear_grin  bear_grin .  I think I drove her nuts because everytime she would turn her back I was putting the ears back where I wanted them , I can understand if I made realistic looking bears and I kept thinking I need to show her one of my bears and then she would understand where I was coming from   :crackup:  :crackup: .  She is a great instructor and you always learn so much from her.  She has done some great books as well that will help you with doing pattern design, at her workshop she had dvd's or cd's available which were fantastic and had step by step instruction and they were in English.

big hugs

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

Glad I could help bear_grin

I thought it was a very helpful link, making a realistic bear is still on my to do list...
It would have been great to take a class from her, even if her ears were different bear_whistle

Joan bear_original

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Oh Joan it was a lot of fun,  she was very determined though that my ears should be where she wanted them  bear_grin  bear_grin , all in all it was still a fun time.

big hugs

Shane

K Pawz Guest

Thanks for the link Jane, I have ordered her CD, I can't wait!!

hugs,
Krista

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Thanks for the link Joan!!!  I actually had this one saved but had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder bear_thumb

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Joan that is a wonderful link.  Thank you for sharing.

Mark and Taoh: Denis Shaw does realistic bears too. Wonderful bears really. He studies the bears and their features. He is the only artist I know that embroiders the eyes. I think the link Joan posted is a good one. I took a couple of classes from him. This is a bear where we made a pattern from a statue. It's about measuring and interpreting it into a pattern

polar_bear_edited-1.jpg

great looking bears. I am working on a card board pattern and will try a prototype in a calico or something.
Thanks.
Mark and Taoh bear_rolleyes

Board footer