Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

Hello, does anyone know how to dye real fur? I have a few vintage coats and they are a dark brown to almost black and I was wondering if a person can dye or bleach these?

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hmmmm I'm not sure if you can or not, I would think it could be done professionally but I don't think I would attempt it myself.  There is a specail process for dying real fur,  maybe you could try doing a swap with someone who might have some lighter fur coats that is looking for darker fur coats.

big hugs

Shane

chris009av Real Deal Bears

I wouldn't recommend dying the fur.
In the tanning process the pelt is treated.
Wetting the coat would lead to this treatment breaking down, and deteriation of the pelt.
The dyed fur that is made up into coats ect, was dyed during the treatment process.
I agree with shane, that the easiest way would be to swap with someone who has spare light color fur.

Thanks Shane and Christine :clap:

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I agree. Don't try dying it yourself. Instead swap the fur or make panda bears....The dark fur would be lovely with a cream, tan, white or lighter color fur. Or better yet, you could make bunnies with darker ears, round tail and chest. Blend it with lighter fur for the face and limbs.

Just my two cents...

Thank you Michelle :dance:

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

what about using dyes like drink mixes or kool-aid, so there are no chemicals?  Or would it still be a bad idea to get the fur wet?  I've got a few white rabbit pelts that I was wondering about dying.

Waterloo, Ontario

It's not so much the fur as the hide.  The leather when it becomes wet will go crusty and hard, I'm not sure how to avoid this.  I'm assuming the process is much different with the companies that dye the fur professionally.

hugs

Shane

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

I dyed a small amount of a light coloured mink to a lilac colour.  I wasted a lot of fur in experimenting - if you get it wet, then the hide gets very weak - easy to tear.  I had to painstakingly apply the dye with a brush to only the actual fur - very difficult.  It didn't take the dye as dark as I wanted. 

I've never tried to lighten a fur.  It would be interesting to be able to do that, but I imagine that just as bleach, etc., damages our hair, it would damage fur.

K Pawz Guest

what about airbrushing with dyna flow silk paints??? although that probably wouldn't lighten it any for you

hugs,
Krista

Waterloo, Ontario

Brenda if you have a furrier in town, speak with them.  I know we are able to ripe apart a coat , say a mink coat and our furrier will ship it away for us to have it sheared, the cost actually wasn't that bad, perhaps they can do something about dying a piece a for you .

Just   a thought

hugs

Shane

thanks for the tips! I didn't realize until just today that this post was brought up again bear_original I would love to get some of the beaver or muskrat a way lighter color. I'll check to see if the closest city to me has a Furrier bear_thumb

Cindy Bogard Teddy Bears and Treasures

I have dyed some of my Mongolian Sheep fur as my son owns a salon and we used both bleach and hair dye.  The problem with animal fur is that it's follicles are much tighter than human hair so it is much more difficult to get color to stick...I think you would be better off buying some light fur unless you have enough of the other fur that you can experiment...you can use leather conditioner on the hide to soften it up after it drys out but thin hides will tear anyway.  Hope this helps  bear_original .
Cindy Bogard
Teddy Bears and Treasures

Board footer