Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Grin and Grimace Pasadena, CA

Hi all!

Thought I would put a face to my name thus my avatar. Sorry I don't have anything fancy to show yet!

Anyhow, I received the stainless steel grit from Sassy to weight I'm guessing the bottom of my current bear's feet so he will stand. My plan is to cut the following muslin sack into two very small pieces, sewing three sides, adding the grit then sewing up the fourth side. My concern is that the seams long term will not hold the grit, or I may weaken the bag as I needle felt around and over it.

Here is the muslin: 

muslin029.jpg

This bear when finished will probably stand 8 inches. He is wire armatured but I am thinking of string jointing hm as well to insure his legs stay close to his body.

Thanks for any input.

Stacey

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Stacey,
Wonderful avatar...Love being able to see who I am chatting with...great to meet you!! Ohhh and your birds too!!!They are adorable.

As for your question...I don't know, as I have never tried that, but look forward to hearing what other suggest...

Hugs &

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Hi Stacie, fellow Californian

I don't use the steel in mine, but I do use glass beads which is very fine. I do mine exactly like you said and haven't had a problem yet.  I don't see why it would make a difference if it were steel or glass.
Welcome and NICE PHOTO!

Sonya

Grin and Grimace Pasadena, CA

Good ol' Calif!

Thanks Sonya. I read through the other posts and it seems this is how it is done, was just concerned about sealing the bag properly. Guess I will give it a go!

Stacey

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I stopped using the small beading of stainess or glass when I started NFing. My things stand all by themselves due the balance created in their stances and flat feet.
When I want to weight them, I slice them open after being completely finished (so I don't have to fiddle around missing the metal parts with my needle), insert metal (nuts, washers, etc), close the slit and heal it over w/more fiber.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Also - forgot to comment earlier - you get great macro shots!

Board footer