Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Hey All -
I sure that our expert on airbrushing has some advice, but I want to hear from everyone.

Has anyone ever airbrushed with fabric dyes?  I am using Jacquard Slik Dyes to airbrush with and I think I am happy with the results it just takes a few layers to build up the colours.  Of course the only colour that I have use so far is black and I know from dying fabrics that black takes 2~3 times as much dye and time to achieve the correct colour.  Just wondering what anyone else's thought or comments are.

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

I have only ever used the special airbrush fabric paints - thinned down.  I would be interested to know if it works for you - let us know.
Thanks

Jane P.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Jared,
Almost anything properly thinned should be able to run smoothly through an airbrush, but my only thoughts on using a fabirc dye are that most fabric dyes require a rinsing with water to remove the residue.  When I have hand dyed mohair with fabric dye there is a lot of residue that washes out.  Have you experimented with seeing if there is a residue?  Does the color come off on your hands when handling the finsihed bear?  I would really experiment with on scrap peices of mohair before putting this on a finished bear.

My first choice has always been high quality professional artist acrylics.  The coverage is great, permanent ,and when properly applied is undetectable to the touch.  But, hey, I am also a big believer in trying new things and experimenting, so best of luck and I hope it works great for you.  Let us know your results.  bear_thumb

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I'm still tempted by airbrushing, but have yet to get my supplies.  ....sigh....someday.  Meantime, its very helpful to hear about all things airbrushed  bear_thumb

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I use Dye-na flow by Jaquard. I love them.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Debbie, come on in, the waters' fine!  You'll love it.

Tami,  I have never tried that kind of paint.  Maybe sometime I'll give it a whirl.  You sure get great result with them. bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Polo, IL

Tami
I found those on dickblick.com. I might try those next.

I hadn't thought about the dye rubbing off.  It is a steam set dye.  I'll just have to see how it works out for me.

Judi I'd love to, but things are not financially good for us right now.  Soooo, my teddy bear stuffs has to take a backseat for now.   bear_sad   As soon as we're out of this pickle, and sailing smoother, I definitely want to add colour and depth to my bears!!!  bear_wub

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

:hug:  :hug:Deb,  You know where to find us anytime .  I understand only too well. bear_wub  :hug:  :hug: Plus you have your horses and animals to take care of.  You're such a good mommy bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

bear_flower Thanks Judi  :hug:

Polo, IL

Ok so my idea of airbrushing with dye wasn't such a hot one!  It ran when I used steam to set it and before that the dye did rub off.  What a mess! I have to make a new bear head...  bear_cry  I think I will be buying the dyna-flow paints that Tammy was talking about.  Mom uses acrylic craft paints and they work ok, but they do tend to stick to the airbrush.

I will check for other posts on this topic but in the mean time...

Judi -
Are the artist paints that are available at Wal-mart close to what you use?  Are the artist paints better quality?  And do they stick to the airbrush as much?

I am sure that you have answered those same questions tons of times, but thank you in advance.

Polo, IL

Ok Judi -
After a little searching I found my answers.  I think some of the brands that you mentioned in another thread about airbrushing are available at Wally World.  I work in the morning, so I will buy some after I get off work and try them sometime this next week.  Now should I raid mum's panty hose drawer or just buy some cheapies out of the bin???  :crackup:
I will post a picture of the bear so everyone can see what happened...  :photo:   Maybe I can save him with the new paints? Nah... I think I better just make a new head or the patches will cover the head of the bear...

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Hi Jared,
I saw this thread before my just computer died and was very interested to see what everyone had to say on this topic. Sorry your dye experiment didn't turn out!

Last winter I experimented with Dyne-a-flow silk paint which is thin like dye and works in the air brush great. I got beautiful results BUT, no matter what I tried, -and I tried several things- I simply couldn't get the colors to set on the mohair.  bear_sad  It all rubbed off! boo-hoo. bear_sad  Very frustrating! I don't know if my hair dryer doesn't get hot enough or what. It'ssure hot enough to scorch my poor fingers!! Tami how do you set your Dyne-a-flow colors?

I'm not giving up on this though, I like the look too much, I just have to figure out how to make it permanent!
On that note, I have found a new product that you add to the paints and which is supposed to eliminate the need for heat setting. I have ordered some and will let you know how it works. Here is a link if anyone wants to check it out:
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/2 … aints.html

I would like to see how your further experiments turn out, Jared. Good luck all!

Board footer