Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Grin and Grimace Pasadena, CA

I was just reading Bobbie's tut in TB&F. Thanks Bobbie!

It is mentioned to use a fiberglass screen to cover the foam to prevent bearding. I'm running across that problem and wondering if sara wrap would work? I'm not at home right now or I would try!

I'm not exactly sure what the fiberglass screen looks like or where to get it.

Wondering what everyone else uses?

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I don't think saran wrap would work, but the screen is the same stuff you would have on your screen door. You can buy it at any hardware or home improvement store.

You can see my foam herealthough Bobbie has a great point and I have now taken the pins out so I can run my hand under the screen to clear off any felted bits.

feltingexamplefull..jpg

Ah... I see. LOVE your pumpkins. Fall/October/Halloween is my favorite time of year!

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Aw Stacey - I blew it!! I realized this AM that I'd forgotten to put that bit of needled wool in - now I remember the screening, too! I used to include samples with my kits/needles, now I send a length with orders.
Yes, I canme up with the fiberglass window replacement screening about 6 years ago, after spending multo bucks trying to solve my bearding problem - and the need for 8 different foam blocks , 1 for each color.
You can read a bit about it if you go to the free PDF instructions on my website.
Well, this way I can send both - glad I was reminded.

Saran would work for about 17 pokes... 10 seconds? Then the flexing of the foam up & down with the thrusting would just split it apart. This fiberglass works a treat - mine stays on my block for at least 6 months and I get time to NF almost every day.

Thanks Bobbie,

I checked EVERYWHERE for your sample  bear_wacko . Thought maybe I had dropped it in my excitement to open the envelope.

suburban Chicago

No you couldn't miss this one: this is a 12" length, the width of the roll, about 45" I think. You'll have enough to wrap a couple oif screens in. It's included with all sales as of late last year.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Heather, I love those pumpkins!!! Awesome!

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

What is Saran Wrap made of?
What is the screen made of?
Is it metal?

suburban Chicago

It's called Cling Film I believe in the UK, the plastic stuff on the roll that you cover food (bowls) with: leftovers, cooking in the microwave, meeting your special one in.....
Just kidding on that last one - there was a time that that was recommended to be worn when greeting one's spouse at the door after their long day of work..

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

there was a time that that was recommended to be worn when greeting one's spouse at the door after their long day of work..

snicker - I'd need the industrial size package for that!!!

Marion

Denmark

Thanks Bobbi for explaining, now I know what  Saran wrap is.

Heather - the net you are using - is it metal? Or flynet in plastic?

suburban Chicago

Brigitte, The fibers inside the mesh are fiberglass, and then coated with a type of plastic.
Sorry I didn't think to take a picture of a broken down screen I'll do that later and post it.
The screening comes in silver, grey and black.

The fibers are exposed after the screening has been used for a number of months: no matter how large your surface is, everyone tends to work right in the middle! And the barbs & pointed tips of the needles eventually cut through the mesh screen.

The exposed fibers look like a fiber optic cable. I've rubbed the exposed ends everywhere and they do NOT give you little fiberglass splinters.

Pic to follow - I've got to change mine again anyway.

Denmark

Thank you, Robbie - I'll look forward to the pictures. Then, I'll better
understand.

suburban Chicago

split72.jpg

This is the screen-covered foam after over 6 months's use.
The whole foam is only a 'travel' size, approx 4" x 6" x 2"

frayfiberglass72a.jpg

The center section came away easy with my finger.
Here are the frayed out ends of the split-through webbing. The fibers are very soft, are not easy to pull out or break off and are projecting out only about 1/8" long.

I've used this product since 2001 and have yet to get a 'splinter' of it in my hand/palm/finger/project.

Denmark

Hi Bobbie
I thank you so much for the pictures. I think, we call it hessian.
It looks like it. I will try to find it here in Denmark.

By the way - your lesson in TB&F. are marveluos. You really show everything
perfect. bear_thumb

Board footer