Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

sarahjane Brisbane

Has anyone ever used the eyes that come on wires....I assume you make your own loop out of the wire, are they easy to use or should they be avoided?

Like these ones....
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll … &rd=1&rd=1

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I've used them a few times and they really aren't that hard to use.  You just need to make your own loop.  I just prefer to use the eyes with the narrow loop.  The price is good.  Try them and see.

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Hi SarahJane,

I've used this type of eye many times. The eyes come on one wire and you have cut them in half and use a pair of needle nose pliers to make the loop. My only caution is that the eye will break off of the wire easily so you have to be very careful. I have ordered from this seller before and always received exactly what was stated.

Hugs,

sarahjane Brisbane

Thank you guys....They are a really good price so I think I'll give them a try...It's good to hear that you've used this seller before Gijzette and been happy with them!!  bear_flower

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

well, I've used those and have a bunch. The problem I find with them is the eyes don't always match. Someones they can be totally different sizes on just on wire.

My thoughts anyway.

sarahjane Brisbane

Thanks Heather...Do you know if it is more of a problem with the smaller eyes? I sometimes find that even with the usual eyes I buy... bear_sad

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

That's tough to say. I've bought them from sizes 4mm - 10 mm and I don't like them at all! None of them really match.

And you're right, I find alot of eyes don't match. Thats why I now buy intercal's more expensive eyes. They always match perfectly. Nothing worse than wasting money on eyes you don't buy.

BUT....if you buy a bunch of eyes on wires for cheap, it might be worth it. Even if they all dont' match.

It's a tough call, for me personally I don't buy those eyes anymore.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What Heather said! 

I can't speak highly enough about Intercal's premium eyes and that has nothing to do with my affiliation here as a forum advisor.  I've never had a loop break, and they always match perfectly.

When I bought eyes on wires (not sure from whom, so this is not a slight to your specific seller), they were running at about a 30% match, with 70% ending up unusable.  I bought large-ish eyes, though, so perhaps the smaller ones, or ones from other sellers, are better.

Good luck!

sarahjane Brisbane

Thanks Heather....Eyes are about $2.95 a pair over here and I've worked out that these ones will only cost me about 89 cents a pair even with postage....so the price is good but I'm still not sure.......

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I have never tried the eyes on wires Sarah Jane but when I first started making bears I found it so annoying using the cheaper  eyes as the sizes and shapes would never match so now I always buy the english superior glass eyes and they are always ok-they are probably the same type as Shelli mentions.It is not worth saving a few pence on something like eyes if they aren't well made as you end up not really saving any money as half of them will end up in the bin.
Laurie  :hug:

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I have some lovely Blue glass eyes on wires that I bought cheap on Ebay, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed! There's hardly any dud eyes, and only one broken so far, and that one broke WAY before I attached it to the head bear_original Even imported from the USA they cost me far less that the equivalent looped, and although I prefer loops still, these are definitely worth a try... I'm selling off a few pairs just so I can order in some more!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Well, to add my voice to the bunch . . . I intensely dislike any eyes on wires.  And mostly for the reasons mentioned above.  But, I also have lots of difficulty making a decent loop - having to twist the wire around itself several times is, at best, a very clumsy attempt on my part.  I definitely prefer the perfectly matched, perfectly looped, never-break premium eyes.

Polo, IL

Never Break Premium Eyes???   I don't know about you, but I have had several pairs break on me.  But fewer of those eyes break than the less expensive eyes.

Grin and Grimace Pasadena, CA

I have found that the wire eyes that I recently purchased on Ebay besides not all matching, also have a few noticeable air bubbles in them. Rather annoying!

Stacey

sarahjane Brisbane

Well before I got back on here (I should have looked first...you were all posting while I was sleeping!!!  bear_shocked ) I emailed the seller and found them extremely helpful....so I've taken the plunge as they haven't cost me much .....I will let you know how I go!!   I must say that the postage is what usually puts me off ordering from overseas (we are such a long way away down here!!!) but the postage for these was extremely reasonable and they have a fantastic returns policy so if for any reason I am not satisfied they will refund my money.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

JNCshop was a very easy-to-work with eBayer. Quick delivery to me.
Yes, the eyes don't match so one must purchase a quantity.
Jared, don't know of the Premium one of which you speak are the new narrowed already-formed-loop but I use these in 2 mm, 3 mm & 4 mm and—while they're close—there too are differences.
Buying 50 pairs of each was reasonable and they're a deam to insert, where the wire loops are as wide or wider than the eyes.....

sarahjane Brisbane

Thank Bobbie... bear_thumb  bear_thumb   I have bought quite a few in clear glass so hopefully I will be able to match most of them up!!

Polo, IL

Bobbie -
When I can I get the narrow loop, makes my life easier.  There have been some of the premium with the normal loops that have flown off bunny heads just after I tie the knot.  When I use the narrow loop eyes I don't have that problem.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Those are the eyes I'm talking about, Jared -- the ones that are called "pre crimped" or "pre looped" but to my eye, look like they have a "narrow loop."  I find these really easy to insert and to match up, both in terms of pupil size/placement AND dome height and shape.  Some of the lesser eyes, for want of a better word, might have matching diameters and pupil size, but their "domes" are totally different heights which looks okay from head on, but really weird from the side!

The ones I use with the narrow loops which, I kid you not, have truly NEVER broken on me -- and I pull those sinew strings TIGHT! -- are these, available at Intercal: 

#500 (black) 
#560 (colored/clear)
http://www.intercaltg.com/catalog/eyes.html

They cost more than some of the other kinds of eyes you can buy, but I've found them to be totally worth the additional price in every way.  After using these for years I have yet to have a "leftover" eye that couldn't find a partner, and, like I said, I swear to you, I've never broken a single one.

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I have found the same problems Shelli with these cheap eyes as the dome doesn't match like you said and you find little mishapen indentations or lines in the eyes and even if they are small they drive me mad bear_angry as if I make a bear I hate seeing these little differences in the eyes even if they are small as I know they are there and if you are always aiming for a perfect bear everything has to be of good quality so you don't compromise in any way.I hope these eyes are ok for you Sarah Jane-they have a long way to come. bear_flower
Laurie :hug:

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

I have used them ,but don 't care for them too much.  The hassel of cutting and twisting the wire to make the loop sometimes brake.

Some have broken on me half ways when pulling or set all of a sudden I hear something fall and its Half of the eye that probably with the tension gave way or either it came broke.

Has anyone ever tried the glass eyes with glass stem? I bought some long time ago,but have not used them yet, these are all  pale yellow with a tiny tiny blk piupel  & glass all the way,very tiny ones  :hug:

sarahjane Brisbane

bear_ermm  bear_ermm  Well it looks like the overwhelming majority of yopu don't like these eyes......I guess I've bought them now so I will have to see how they go.....Keeping my fingers crossed!!!  bear_grin

Thanks everyone for your input!! 

Mary I've never seen eyes that are all glass........do they look like they would break if you put any pressure on them??

Polo, IL

Shelli -
Please don't swear at me...   bear_grin
:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Jare Hares & Bears wrote:

Shelli -
Please don't swear at me...   bear_grin
:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Sweet boy, I'm not swearing AT you, I'm swearing TO you.  The former would involve me, red-faced and screaming profanities... and the latter, me, on my knees before you, pleading with you to believe my true, true story about narrow-loop glass eyes.

Don't make me do it.  I BEG of you.  (which would also involve knees and pleading scenarios.)  I'm getting older by the second, and it hurts to kneel of late.

bear_original  bear_tongue   bear_grin    right back atcha!

Polo, IL

Shelli -
My oh my, we do have fun on here don't we?
No need to get on your knees and beg me to believe you.
:hug:
Jared

Board footer