Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

Hi all you talented people!!
This is related to the post on facial sculpting...
I have noticed recently that some people are selling hand-painted eyes and I thought I would have a go myself.  So... I have bought some clear glass eyes (with just the black pupil) - and that's as far as I've got!:)

I was wondering if you are supposed to use any special kind of paint?  I was going to use acrylics, then I thought maybe I should use glass paints - I don't know...

I understand the principle is that you work back to front, right?  IE, the lightest colour has to go on first, followed by the next, etc.  If I then paint the back of the eye with white will that intensify the colours when looked at through the front of the eye??

Any tips on this will be gratefull received!!

Chris

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

A tip I learned from Shelli, is that after you are done painting on the colors... then take a very sharp pin and scratch the back with many tiny lines radiating out from the pupil.  Then paint the back with black, and that will fill in the lines in black and really looks cool.

I've used nail polish with good results!  I like the glittery colors they come in bear_original

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Chris, Nice bear in your avatar.

There are several ways to paint the backsides of eyes.  To add to what Laura said, you can use acrylics, and paint in any pattern form you like.  The best thing to do is to experiment.  There are no rules here as to what order of colors to use, light to dark or dark to light...it doesn't matter when painting eyes.   Try different ways and see if you can come up with your own unique look.

I tend to paint the backside of my eyes a bit different each time.  It keeps things interesting.  Some times I use dots, or lines, streakes, or blended shades.  Some times even nail polish, like Laura said.  It can add some shimmer and dimension.

Play and have fun!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

woohoo!  Finally a neat idea I can try without e-buying the supplies!
Thank you Christine, Laura and Judi!

Dilu

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Here are a couple of pictures of eyes I painted using the technique Laura refers to, above.  (and PS:  Thanks to Laura for ALWAYS remembering to give credit where she thinks it's due.  We owe a lot to Laura for REMEMBERING all of this stuff and sharing it so freely!  Thanks, Laura!)

Traditional wisdom probably suggests that one should start painting the radiating lines and then move backward and outward in layers, from the "front" of the iris to the "back".  But I found an alternative method works equally well.

As Laura suggested, you simply paint your eye in concentric circles of color, or using blobs and then blending.  I generally start with a sparkly or glittery nail polish that's translucent, for that initial glimmer and "pop" right at the front.

When you're done with your colors, take a sharp implement -- a large needle works perfectly!  I sometimes even use the "eye" end -- and then scrape the paint OFF in radiating spokes, beginning at the pupil and moving out toward the edge.

As a final touch, coat the entire backside of the eye in black (or another VERY dark color) nail polish.

The effect this gives is to fill in those radiating spokes with black, creating a very realistic eye with minimal effort and painting experience/skill.  And, as a wonderful bonus, the nail polish seals up any acrylic paint you might have used, which could otherwise run and smear all over if you insert it into a fray-checked awl hole where the eye is intended to go.

Have fun!

heathcliff_eye.jpgsmall_kirby_best_eye_closerup.jpg

OH Shelli!  Such beautiful eyes, they don't look a human made them but like God did....incredable. 

Between what we will learn from Judy with the airbrushing, and what we can learn from Shelli with those eyes...we have no excuse not to produce fab bears!

Dilu

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Shelli wrote:

PS:  Thanks to Laura for ALWAYS remembering to give credit where she thinks it's due.

bear_grin:lol:  Oh Shelli you doll!  I'm just rememberin'... hopefully correctly :D, sometimes not:/  I love gathering information:)

I think the marvelous thing about these forums is that when one person shares, it opens all of us up to want to share too!  Thanks to everyone!  I just happen to answer ?'s first sometimes cause I'm on the computer too much :rolleyes:

Love ALL you Gals and Guys!!!!

ellen ontario, canada

LAURA!!
get off the computer!!!
:D:D
bear_grin:lol:

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

Wow - thanks guys!!
Nail varnish - doh!  Why didn't I think of that???
Shelli - your bears are gorgeous, as always.  Thanks for so generously sharing your pictures:)

Assuming I don't mess this up (!) I'll let  you all see the results...
Chris

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Beautiful eyes, Shelli :)

Thank you!!

Eileen

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I second that, Shelli . . . absolutely stunning eyes!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Gorgeous eyes ,Shelli!!!  And what a great close-up shot too!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Hey, thanks, all. bear_original:):)  PS  The close-ups were only possible due to my camera's very nice Macro feature.

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

Hi Shelli!

Outstanding close ups of the eyes. I know your camera takes the close ups but the eyes speak for themselves.  Absolutely gorgeous!! Gives us all something to aspire to.:)

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello Christine,Laura,Judi,Dilu,Ellen,Eileen,SueAnn,Cindy!
Oops ..I'm 2weeks late here bear_tongue
This is real value topic! I'm so glad to join here.

Shelli ) thank you very much for sharing your pictures! 
I saw your adorable bear on E-bay before and wondering what you did on bear's eye. It is really special cute !!!
I will love to try painting on eye and see how its goes.

bear hugs, Marie

Shelli- I followed your instructions- wow, I AM SO PLEASED. I especially liked using the topaz colored metallic nail polish first.....I will never buy regular eyes again.  Even Mr. Understatement thought they were pretty good. 

:):)
Thank you for sharing with us- it has made something obsessional even better!

PS.

I used hemostats to hold the loop, they are so handy they have great grip and you never have to worry that something is going to get away from you----

Actually I use most all my old nursing upplies- another great thing you ALL might like to know about is a tool called  ADDISSON"S FORCEPS-  which actually look like tweazers-but the cool thing is that they have grooves in the tips so that you can pick up tiny threads with great presission. 

Dilu
Dilu

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Glad I could help!

Kidsandteddy The kids and teddy too
Lincoln Ca.

Hello everone,
This was a subject that I have been pondering myself. And thanks to Shelli always ready to share what she
herself has found out by trial and error is so kind to tell others.
I have been in this business for many years and not all artists are so ready to share there tricks etc. It never
botheres me because everyone has there own style, and aren't we all here to help one another.
This has really been great for me to read what others are doing and to find out everyone has alot of the same
questions.
Thanks to all !!!

And Shelli great eye photos. We are lucky to have you in the bear world.

Bonnie

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Ditto--Shelli's the best :D

Eileen

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan
Dilu wrote:

I used hemostats to hold the loop

Thank you for great idea ! I have hemostats at home too but never used before. bear_tongue

Bonnie) Hello ! Good to meet you :D
Your bear is super cute ! I visit your web and
found *Razzle*. I have so many favor bear but I think
Razzle stole my heart..( :

Eileen) Hi !  May I ask about your picture ? He or She is
so cute but is it real baby bear? or Did you made it ????
I love to make realistic bear too ! but..I just need more study for design them ... hee hee 

Have a great day all !
bear hugs/Marie

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Everyone
Have any Canadians on this list been able to find the metallic nail polishes and if so where?
Thanks
Gail

I'm in Oregon and I found them by accident at a beauty supply store, while looking for shavers for muzzels.

I know you were asking for Canadians-but in kindergarten they wrote that Diane doesn't follow directions very well- and I figured then, why buck a pattern?

Do you folks have beauty supply stores up there?

If so give them a call.

The metallic makes such a huge differance.

And the technique is sooooo easy and makes us look like we are geniuses.

Have fun....

Dilu:)

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

People like revlon etc put them out.   They used to be everywhere.  Used to buy them for painting dominoes for rubber stamping.  It's funny how crafts cross over and use things for different crafts...

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Hi from Toronto, Gail, bear_laugh

I found a treasure trove of metallic nail polishes at clearance prices at the local Guardian Pharmacy. They're somewhat out of fashion here, I think, since none of the mainstream cosmetics companies seems to be offering the really radical colors, but you might find some at Walmart, or at one of those mall stores that caters to the very (very very) young. Hardware/home reno stores often have small bottles of enamel for model-making and appliance repairs.

Hi Marie! bear_laugh Welcome! I've been asked this question before! It's a a real bear--a little grizzly cub in the snow--because haven't yet finished my first serious bear bear_rolleyes  I'll post a pic as soon as I do. Next bear will be from Nancy Tillberg's pattern for the Bears4Charity challenge, and NEXT bear will be that little griz!! I love the realistic bears too, and I'm determined to figure out how to make one.

Eileen

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

You can also just use metallic paint.  I buy mine in a little strip of pots -- there are, like, ten little pots in the strip -- at Michael's.  The entire thing comes packaged in plastic on one of those hanging cardboard thingamajigs.  You can buy primary colored strips... sparkle strips... and metallic strips.  Oh, and neon strips.  And some others, too, I think, for specialty work, like "neutral colors" strips.

The only part where I would NOT use paint is the very last coat or backing.  I always use nail polish and I always suse something very, very dark -- usually black.  It really does wonders to seal all those acrylics and keep them from running or rubbing off when you insert your eye into a Fray-Checked hole.

Hope this helps!

Board footer