Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

castlebar Kookaloon Bears & Buddies
Auburn, California
Website

Hi

Ok I'm thinking about trying real fur and I've been reading it needs to be lined.
how do you do the lining? do you line each piece that is cut out? and you sew it to the pelt? then sew all the pieces together?

Thank you for any tips :-)

Laura

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Castlebar, Click on this link and it will take you to the real fur section of our Teddy Talk Library concerning real fur.

http://www.teddy-talk.com/search.php?se … =657799572

Happy reading!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

I cut all the pattern pieces from the cotton or muslin lining first.  Then,very lighty glue the edges to the back of the fur pelt just enough to hold it for sewing the bear.- I use a glue stick.  Next, cut out the fur pieces with the lining attached.  You may also find it helpful to try using aligator clips instead of pins to hold your cut pieces together for sewing.  Sometimes pins can be hard to get through stiff pelts, and the less holes the better.

Good luck !

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

I do it exactly the same way as Tammy. The only thing that I can add is that I use old sheets for my lining....just more recycling.
:hug:
Kathy

Auburn, California
Website

Hi all,

Thanks so much! I'm really excited to give it a try :-)
The glue tip! awesome :-)

All the best
Laura

teeeej Brisbane

Don't forget to post pictures when your done! I am hoping to do a real fur bear soon. I am going to be taking an online class on Ebearz University. I am too afraid to try one on my own.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Laura: I use good quality muslin and cut out identical pieces to the pattern. I don't use glue for it may erode the leather over time. I hand stitch - using a basting stitch- all the muslin pieces to the fur parts. Next I do the usual steps in sewing the bear.

Now a good tip for you: When you cut out the real fur pieces. do not shake them. Once the pieces are all cut out, take a hand held vacuum and run it over the fur pieces. Hold on to the bear parts though. I've been know to lose some. But I just dig it out of the bag and start over again. I find this method great in keeping me from having fur all over the place and not breathing it in or itching.

Post a picture of you teddy bear when you are finished.

Auburn, California
Website

Hi All,

Thanks so much! you all have been so helpful, this is a great group, glad I joined.
I think I read something on needles to use, saw it on one of the threads, I'll have to go check it out.
now off to ebay to check out fur :-)
I'll post a picture when I get it done

Laura

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_original  You'll want to use a glover's/ leather needle castlebar.  Its got a specifically created head that's triangular in shape....and mind, it goes through fingers exceedingly well!!  The design creates the holes in the hides as you sew. 

And yes, alligator, or paperclips work very well to hold the pieces together without having extra holes from the pins. I use the black clips from Office Max for holding together lots of papers.  They seemed to work better, have a stronger hold than my paperclips. 

I handsew my real fur bears, and found with the mink and squirrel furs, you'll do okay, but heavier furs, like muskrat, beaver, and definitely raccoon, you'll want to have thimbles for your fingers.  I've created my own leather thimbles from moosehide, they cover my thumb, forefinger, and middle finger.  But you'll be able to sort how much protection you need for your hands when you start in. 

What type of fur are you attempting for your first bear?

Auburn, California
Website

Hi Debbie,

I haven't decided on the type of fur yet, I'm going to get these supplies I need, then I'll go read the thread on the different types of furs. I saw that real quick the other night.

All the best
Laura

Board footer