Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I am using Guterman upholstery thread for my bear. But I am finding it quite slick, unlike my Coats and Clark upoholstery thread.  The C&C thread is nylon and Guterman is polyester. I am already not liking the Guterman because it's so dang slick. But I went this route because the lady at the store said it was the strongest thread she had and it matched my mohair perfectly. When I make my knots the are not staying tight. So I have to tie a knot then go back through to the other side, knot, go back to the other side and knot.

Also my first knot is not just a single knot on the end of the thread. I am actually tying the threads together so there is no chance of the knot slipping through the material. Same with the ending knot. Is this right?

Also is it a mortal sin to drop any kind of glue on the final knot after closing a seam? (Don't worry I didn't do it, but I had to ask).

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi Jennifer, I am quite new so someone may have a better idea than me but I use Guterman and it is very strong. I oversew at the start and finish-I find that knots will pull through so I just do two overstitches in the same place where I need a stuffing gap (go in one side leave a little tail and then cross over the edge of the material to go in at the same point you went in last time and do it again) I then sew round putting an overstitch at the other side of the gap then re sew back the other way. I have found this helps to keep the stuffing gap from pulling as I do give it a bit of grief when pulling the right way and again when stuffing :hug:

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Hi Jennifer, try waxing the thread. Get a small block of bees wax, pull the thread across it several times and smooth the wax on the thread by pulling it through your fingers/closed hand. This makes the thread slightly sticky and also prevents those pesky unwanted knots during sewing.
Are you asking about the knots in string jointing? I leave a tail of thread at the starting point, then when I come back again, I knot both threads, pull tight and double-knot again. Then I pull the tails through the body with my needle and snip off (pull while snipping so the thread ends will slip back into the body)

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I bring both strands together, form a loop near the end, bring my needle through the loop once, then around and put it through again then pull real hard. I find this makes a much more secure knot than tying the two ends together. It's worked for me for 7 years anyway. I do agree it's very slippery stuff!

You might also try a quilter's knot. I find this one to work great too!!! I Googled it because there is no way I could explain it w/o pictures and it's too early in the morning for me to think that hard!!! Here is a great photo tutorial:
http://www.purlbee.com/hand-vs-machine- … -knot.html
You'll likely enjoy the blog too! bear_original

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I agree that Guterman thread is pretty strong and used it for years...until I tried the thread bobbins from Sassy. They come in a multitude of colours and are STRONG! They also seem to grab a knot easier and are perfect for minis or larger bears.

Marion

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire
Daphne wrote:

I bring both strands together, form a loop near the end, bring my needle through the loop once, then around and put it through again then pull real hard. I find this makes a much more secure knot than tying the two ends together. It's worked for me for 7 years anyway. I do agree it's very slippery stuff!

You might also try a quilter's knot. I find this one to work great too!!! I Googled it because there is no way I could explain it w/o pictures and it's too early in the morning for me to think that hard!!! Here is a great photo tutorial:
http://www.purlbee.com/hand-vs-machine- … -knot.html
You'll likely enjoy the blog too! :)

Daphne! That is a quilting knot! I have been using that knot for years. Just one day, I did it and I've never looked back, I can't take my time doing knots any other way. You make such big knots from it also!

Richy~

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I just paid attention to which threads I use most for closing seams/upholstery thread and it's the Mastex thread I use most often. Perhaps it's not quite as slippery? I don't find too much of a difference in the two brands visually and my knots hold but I can actually sit here and watch the knot loosen on the Gutterman. Perhaps it's just me??? Or the difference between poly and nylon?

I get Mastex at an upholstery shop but most often order it from Edinburgh as they have a great color selection and also have it on the bobbins if you only want a little bit to try. http://www.edinburghimports.com/shoppin … 92364=S023

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I was also told to leave at least 1/4 inch of thread at the end of my Mastex thread so that it would not slip off the end.  I find if I get in a hurry and forget to leave the tail behind my knot, I can loose it.
Donna

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Thanks everyone!

I already do the quilters knot and didn't even know it. I will try the wax since I already have some.

Board footer