Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a fray check product for lightweight fabrics. It's a long story, but I need to mend eyelet so I'm looking for something that wouldn't show if it were applied to the right side of a lightweight fabric. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Mindy

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi Mindy!  I'm assuming that it's a lightweight cotton eyelet you're talking about.  From my experience making tiny doll house clothes and bear clothes, I really think that most of the fray check type products do show up just a wee bit on light colored fabrics.  On silk, it's really obvious... not SO bad on cotton.  I just use the Dritz brand Fray Check that is available at just about every sewing/craft store.  I find that the heavier, more glue-like products like Ailene's Fray Stop tend to show up a bit MORE. 

Are you going to darn it or try to sew up the area afterward, or are you just looking to prevent it from ripping any further than it already is?

Kim Basta

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

What about those mending tapes that are ironed on and are melted into the fabric?  Would that work?
Good Luck,
Donna

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

I've considered the mending tapes, too.  I'd like to try to darn the tear. It's a light green eyelet dress that had a run-in with a cat's claw. 

I may have to go to the fabric store and see what they recommend. Maybe there's a miracle product out there that will help.

Of course, if I can't mend it satisfactorily, the tailor at the dry cleaner had a good suggestion: cut it off and turn the dress into a top!

Board footer