Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Kilde Posts: 186

I have just started needle felting - and I love it  bear_grin (haven't lost any fingers either...yet!  bear_tongue )

Its so much fun and the bears I have seen with needle felted muzzles are so cute. I would love to try to needle felt a muzzle on my next bear but how much would you change a normal pattern (normal as in 'not intented to be felted') so that you can needle felt the muzzle? I was thinking that I could maybe use a photocopier and make the head parts i.e. 10% smaller than the rest of the bear?

If you use the pattern as it is, I would think that the bear's head would get too big when you add layers of wool/felt?  bear_ermm

Are there any "rules" when you make patterns for needle felted faces?  :doh:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Ah Tina you have caught the felting bug! 

What I do for my needle felted muzzle bears is simply cut down the pattern in the area you want to do the felting. The bears head will look funny as you sew it but just keep reminding yourself of the end result. 
If you don't cut down the pattern part you'll end up with a disproportionately large muzzle.  You'll be amazed at how much time it takes to achieve just the right results.  For me it takes around 6 to 8 hours to do a muzzle.  My avatar bears all have needle felted muzzles.

Best fo luck to you and watch those fingers!!!

Kilde Posts: 186

Thanks, Judi  bear_thumb

Yes, I have caught the felting bug  bear_grin Thanks to you actually.... :crackup:   I'm in your "fab felted faces"-class and it is SOOO much fun.  :dance: It looks odd when you start felting but its fun to see the shape develop as you go with the poke-poke-poke-turn-poke....  bear_grin My daughter has started on a small needle felted bear too and we have both spent all afternoon and evenings the last couple of days needle felting.  bear_tongue

I noticed that when I finish with the 40-needle I can still see small holes in the felt - how do you get a smooth surface? It still gets a little lumpy and I find it hard to get it as smooth as I would like.

I think I will try cutting a bit off the muzzle parts of the pattern on my next bear and see what happens as I felt it. I guess its a matter of trying it a few times to know how much to cut off the pattern.  bear_happy

Board footer