Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

kraftyladies Beary Lovely ... Bears by Susan
Florida

Hey guys,

I hope someone can help me.  When I attach my head onto my bear it seems like it is where it needs to be.  But once I joint the rest of the body and stuff it, they seem to end up looking at the sky as if looking for rain!!  bear_ermm What am I doing wrong? Any hints or tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bear hugs,
~Susan

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Susan, maybe you need to set your head farther forward on the body.  Aslo you could sew up part of the opening on the head at the back side.  This would bring the joint pin closer to the chin and may bring it down.
Hope this  bear_original helps.

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Hi Susan

I have recently started to use wobble neck joints with cotter pins and I'm really pleased with the result but then I prefer a slightly down turned head. If you don't want the head too droopy just make the pins tighter. bear_original

Kate
x

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Susan, I had that problem when I first started...so now, I mark the body for the neck pin 1/4"  forward of the seam junction.

Then I hand stitch a " stop" first in back of that mark then leave about 1/4" unstitched for the pin... then stitch in front of that .

NOw...the head looks more natural...you can even try marking more forward for" slumpy"  looking bears... Winney

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Susan, Judi's idea to place the awl hole for the head a bit more FORWARD makes sense to me.

Also, look at your body pattern pieces.  If you have a downward slope at the upper body, where the "neck" and "shoulder" would be, the head will naturally turn down a bit when jointed.  If the upper body line is straight across, it looks more forward.  And so on.

Good luck!

And... DARLING avatar duo, by the way!

kraftyladies Beary Lovely ... Bears by Susan
Florida

Thanks everyone for your tips.  I have lowered the point where I put my pin in, but will lower a little more.  I will also look at the way I am doing my body part of my patterns and see if that is where part of problem is.  Trial and error with your advice, maybe I will figure it out. 

I appreciate all of your help!!  :D

Hugs,
Susan

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What's interesting about your question, Susan, is that I had the opposite problem early on; my bears looked TOO down!  So trial and error, yes... Hope some of what you've read here will help!

Board footer