Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Judi,

The CO2 tank sounds great--what the heck is it? :/

My son-in-law (bite your tongue, Shelli! bear_happy ) has an air compressor out in the garage, but it makes a horrendous noise. I can't imagine doing anything as delicate as airbrushing with that racket beside me.

Eileen

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Judi.

Wow, more than a YEAR? What size CO2 canisters do you use?  What make is your airbrush?  If you use a co2 tank it would be quiet.  My dad used a huge compressor when he painted dioramas for the movies and the LA county museum-  he did the bison and elephant dioramas that you sometimes see in the Aflac commercials.  And those were done before 1970.  They still look pretty good.    His compressor was really really loud.  Yikes!  Probably explains his deafness in older age.

Now I am really intrigued.

Thanks

Dilu

Hi Pam- welcome.

Your little mouse is very cute.
Look forward to getting to know you

Dilu

Daphne, Ellen, anyone.....

I've been doing some research, 

Try e-bearz university and/or kranbearys there WAS an e-course on bear airbrush painting and even if the course is no longer available there are some info sheets that I found very helpful, you might also.

Also the Paasche "H" series air brush can be had for under $50 on several web sites; Dixieart.com, Hobbylinc.com, and I am sure other sites, that's just what I found quickly.  Also at the Paasche site the same set is $89.00.  OUCH!

My favorite web site is the one who loads quickly and doesn't confuse my old brain with too much flashing stuff.

I have sent an e-mail to the instructor of the 'e-class' to see if she will be doing it again.  I haven't heard back yet, but something tells me I will hear from her cuz she is aware of my seriousness, and is also pretty open and giving.  I hope she will be in a position to offer the class again.  Also the class was a very resonable fee, given that this lady is truly an artist at what she does,

Also they state in the course material that the practising is done on paper bags or heavy art paper.  Everyone has paper bags.

I tell you all this, cuz it seemed you were interested....

Much to my surprise my honey was very open.  I think he likes the idea of a co2 tank because he used to make beer and has been thinking about getting back into it...so Co2 for two....

Anyway this info is for anyone who doesn't do airbrushing but has been dyeing to try.....

Dilu

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Dilu.

The airbrush course will continue to run and I am the instructor!:D  I wrote the course earlier this year.  Some one sent me an email asking about the course and I responded...was that you?  The names don't match.  Maybe I should go and check my webmail.

Anyway, I run my airbrush from a 20 pound CO2 tank.  It is completely silent.  I hate loud nosie.  There are some quieter compressors but they are not silent.    You can get smaller tanks.  Places to find a CO2 tank would be at a welders supply.   They can also hook you up with a pressure gauge.

I when to a school that specialized in airbrush art.  I became certified in 1984 in Fine Art and Airbrushing/Photo retouching and graphic rendering.  I worked as a professional airbrush artist at GM Photgraphic at the General Motors Technical Center in Warren Michigan for a few years after that. 

I have done lots of paintings over the years.  WHen I discovered the wonderful world of bears I was able to combine my airbrushing skills to my own origianl designs and have been having a blast.

In the on line course I have provided a basic teddy bear pattern (or you can use your own) and I take you through the basics of using and controlling an airbrush. The first couple chapters talks about all the supplies you need and how to properly prepare yor paints successfully.  In chapter four I take you step by step on how to actually airbrush some nice shading on the bear.  The sky is the limit to what you can do with airbrushing.  There is also a chapter on trouble shooting.

One of the really nice things I like about these classes is that you can have daily contact with the instructors through a message forum.

Here is a photo of the back of a denim jacket I airbrushed about 15 years ago:Airbrush_TIGER.jpg

Almost all of my bears have airbrushing on them...some more than others.  I just love this type of art.  It is so soft and gives effects unachievable any other way.

I have more photos on my website of airbrushed paintings.  This tiger pic came out a big larger than I expected for this forum.

What a small world!!!!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Elieen, to answer your question about what a CO2 tank is...it is a heavy cylinder shaped unit that containes liquid CO2 or carbon dioxide.  When it is released it turns into a gas, the same gas as you would exhale when you breathe.

When a pressure gauge is attached to this unit you can control the amount of pressure, or flow, that is released.  This creates a "air" flow suitable for using an airbrush....or for making beer like Dilu's hubby!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::cool:

The tiger pictured above is entirely an original design and I airbrushed him free hand style.  It took me about a week to do as very very fine layers and layers and layers of color( acrylic paints ) was needed to build up to get the depth I wanted.

Dilu.  I generally use only a single action Paasche "H" airbrush.  It has been tried and true for more than 20 years for me.  I have also used Thayer & Chandler, and Paasche VL, and Badger.  I thought the Badger was pretty good too.

I'll show you one more airbrushed painting.  I did this whenI was 18 years old.  I had been airbrushing for about 6 months.  This is acrylic paints on a piece of cold press art baord.:Airbrush_HORSE.jpgThis too, is an original painting.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Judi . . . I am SOOOO impressed with your talent!!  Outstanding work!!!:D bear_laugh bear_laugh

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Judi,

You are one very talented woman!!!!  I love that look,... kind of like realism, but more dreamlike.  Sort of fantasy-like, but not really.  Is there a name for your style? 

What do you think of Copic pens?  Do you think that with the ease of cleanup, they are a good alternative to the "real stuff"?

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Eileen (and everyone that needs a visual on Co2 tanks) It looks very similar to the tanks used for helium - only we'd probably use a smaller one than you see at the circus or local balloon shop!!!

Judi - that tiger is beautiful. I'm thinking I might be able to do this without spraying my studio walls!! bear_rolleyes Gonna try all these paints first........ but I can use the acrylics with aribrusing or oils? Tubes ok? Oh, why don't I just go visit Nancy's site and see what I learn then wait for your next online workshop! When are you going to write a book on airbrushing furry critters? bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks Judi! :D

I thought I was looking at a live tiger until I noticed the seam . . . a little early up here. Your work is A-mazing! I'm agog at the layers of color and the fine control you must have.

I'm really grateful for the info. My hubs is also a beermaker, must ask him.  I also want to try Shelli's oil painting technique . . . but

bear_sad My house looks like a war zone dusted with mink fluff, my garden goes untrimmed and unraked and unfertilized, and I don't even want to think about the number of uncollected dog poos out there (I picked up 126 on Good Friday), and my bear is not going to make the entry date for the Ace Awards bear_sad  I'm very picky--now on my second head).

Boo hoo and oh well. bear_ermm

Has anybody done any spring cleaning out there?

Eileen

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh My GOsh Judi!

Your paintings are just fabulous!!!  I used to do some airbrushing in my past... when I was a car show photographer... but what I did was mostly just airbrush out the backgrounds - much easier bear_grin  Alas, my airbrush is now dead...  When I get it fixed I'll need to take your class!  (I have a long list of classes I want to take at e-bear u!)

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Ladies...Thanks!  I appreciate the kind comments.  I wanted to show you all what can be done with airbrushing since there is not a lot of it out there.

Daphne,   Good visual for the CO2 tank!  Exactly what you said!

I have never used oils with an airbrush.  The problem I see with using oils is that they take longer to dry.  The beauty of using acrylics through an airbrush is that you can layer the paint in a very short time frame as the piant should dry almost on contact.  When prepared correctly, the paints run very smoothly.

Laure, I sure don't have a name for my style, but I think it sure would be neat to have one!  I do teach airbushing in the class also with the copic markers. I wanted to try it to see how it would work.  The copic markers are not for a serious artist.   I mean no disrespect, at all,  to Edinburgh as I know they carry the Copic system, but in all fairness to my art form and to other artists who wish to venture there I think they should hear from someone who has many years of experience in airbrush art.... let me explain:

The Copic system does not allow for you to work close to your surface.  The spray is wide and you are unable to adjust it (it's kind of like balancing your check book with sidewalk chalk... I  do LOVE sidewalk chalk but only for the right application...on my driveway)  It also has a bit of an upward directional spray which I found to be awkard.  You cannot control the pressure and the cannisters of compressed air are expensive and run out quickly. 

On the other hand. the Copic System works well for coloring/painting larger areas of your work.  I, personally, like to work up close with detail around the eye, nose, and mouth area of a bear, so this does not really work for me.     I do like the copic markers for adding detail on thier own.  I think they are very effective and come in a wide range of colors.  So in that sense, I like the markers, just not with the air gun.

If you really want to get into airbrushing a commercial airbrush is the best choice.  I have had fun with the copic markers, with the airgun, working on some art posters with my daughter...the great part was ...no clean up!  I have aslo had fun using the markers, without the airgun, to add detail around the eye area, layering the colors from lighter one, to darker.  It is great fun to experiment to see what works for you.

Sugar Babe, It sounds like you already have some experience.  Why not give it go on your bears.  Instead of getting your airbrush fixed, you can buy a nice one for under $50.00 on ebay.  Look up airbrush. or Paasche , or the specific type of airbrush you want to replace.:D  I was very nervoius the first few times I airbrushed on a bear as I was afriad to ruin it.  Once you get past that the results are very rewarding.:D:D

Judi

I did e-mail you privately, cuz I wasn't sure if there was a problem talking about your class on this site.  I am delighted there isn't.  But this is why I was cryptic to the others and told them were to find the info.  I didn't want to cause anyone any problems.

I have found the Paasch ( I wonder if there is a relation to the Paas company) H kit for under $50 on a site that gives free shipping AND has the paint.  Am I too excited for words? 

YOU BET!

I  would have ordered last night but wanted to be sure I was getting the right thing-my head was bonky-so I've waited till this AM.

You can not possibly know what this means.  When I say I'm in the backwoods of Oregon, I really mean it.  And my disability precludes me driving the 2 hours to get to Medford where they do have some educational opportunities. 

About the only educational opportunities here are various ways to make Methamphetamine. 

I'm being serious- so you guys stop laughing.  Hmmm  there is money in meth...nope, cant do it.  Tooo many years at the psych hospital seeing what drugs did to the minds of kids.  Too sad.

So, I guess it isn't too late for the class?  I better get a move on.

Thank you Judi!  I can hardly wait to start this class. One of the nice things about being older, is that the more I learn, the younger I feel.!

Dilu

PS didn't get the e-mail---But that's OK if we can find out things here.

Dilu

Remember what I said about the Sistine Chapel?  After seeing the eyes of your tiger...oh my goodness!  Michelangelo would have loved airbrushes.  I, for one, am glad you are directing your artistic talant towards bears, which we are all intensly interested in- and not say, decorating cars.

Eileen

Here's what you do, when you get up once an hour to stretch, get coffee or go to the bath.....well, you throw in a load of laundry, spray the tub with cleaner and hope for the best-then get back to the REAL worktable.

Spring Cleaning?!?!? Honey, what on earth is that!

I'm so lucky- not only does my honey not care toooooo much about what is spent at Intercal and Edinburgh and BEARLY CHEAP, (yep they had the synthetic dyes for my future daughter in laws synthetic bear- PETA-POO. Hmmmmm sounds like a great name for a bear.  But he also doesn't seem to notice if the house is a disaster zone.  Ya just gotta love a guy like that.  (He can even cook!)

Bear Hugs to one and all-I am so jazzed today!

Dilu

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Dilu, I wanted to use your comments as a spring board, just to let everyone know "officially" that posting brand names, classes worth taking, or references to other websites here, amidst and among all the other things we bearmakers discuss, is just fine

The intent of the Teddy Talk General Discussion board is to be a place where we share ideas, tips, techniques -- and also, resources!  As long as that sharing has in the mind the assitance of the individual bearmaker, and the growth of the industry -- which I think we're all in favor of here! -- and as long as that sharing is respectful and polite in manner, there's no reason why you can't mention, in this example, Judi by name as an instructor... or her host site, North Country Teddy Bears, as the place to find her course and sign right up for it!

Thanks for allowing a pleasant segue into this subject area...! bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks Dilu, I needed that!  :D

I've got the same kind of hubby. Cooks, doesn't notice the dust (unless it's on the TV screen), gruffs about money, but he's a Scotsman and admits it.

I can home a few months ago with a load of vintage fur coats/jackets/stoles I'd bought from a local shop--10 real beauties for $200. He nearly fainted. Didn't appreciate what a good deal I'd got. However, when he saw my first bear, albeit in pieces, he changed his tune. Now, as he explains it, tutoring is my low-investment immediate income producer, and bear-making is my high-investment longer term income project. OK by me. I put all my tutoring $$ into the Visa account so I can order more supplies!

I agree about the real workshop. The rest of the house is just en route. I'm just having too much fun here, trying things for the first time, messaging students with my thimble still on, listening to audiobooks, wallowing in the mess.

As for the garden, I'm taking some advice Thalassa Cruso (anybody remember her? WNED?) offered a long time ago. Find out what grows well in your garden and grow a lot of it. 

Eileen

Judi

My honey, Mr. understatement, just looked at your tiger:  "Hmmmmm
Thats very nice."  Wow!

I'm glad he feels this way- cuz while he was at work I ordered the airbrush and paints.

I looked on the North County Teddy Bears site for info on if it is ok to start late or if I should start when the class starts and practise when the stuff gets here. 

What's the protocol?  Or is there a place on the website I should go to find out answers?

Thanks

Dilu

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Dilu,

Men can be short on words sometimes, can't they!?  LOL

You can sign up for the class , if you like, for May 15th, right on the NCTB website.  You won't be starting late.  You can read the material and print it out,  OR, you can sign up for the class after that.  They will keep running every 5 weeks, I think it is every 5 weeks...it may be 6.  I would have to check...my brain can't hold in everything. hee hee.  Anyway, the classes will continue to run.    If you ever have any questions, you know where to find me!

Thanks Judi,

Allready signed up for the class this AM-since you said we wouldn't need the actual air brushing stuff for a couple of weeks.....

Daphne, you sounded interested, were you able to sign up?

Thanks Judi-  am looking forward to it.  I noticed that Nancy Tillberg has a class on sculpting.....I see another class in my future.
Great fun!

Dilu

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Judi,

I'm so glad you'll be running the class again--I need time to rake in some more tutoring $$ bear_rolleyes before another bearbinge.

So far, you've got two rave reviews from Dilu's hubby. No small praise!

Eileen

Judi

So this morning he asks are you signing up?  I gave that look-like what ?  You thought my enthusiasm was your imagination?  Then he says:
                                              "You know, you wont be able to do anything like that  tiger right off the bat."

Huh?  Who's dad was the artist.....who plays piano because she CAN'T do much in the paint type medium?
He's so delightfully goofy sometimes.  "I just don't want you to be dissappointed."  I can't tell yu how long we've been together-I know my limitations- and he doesn 't want me to be hurt.  Is that sweet or what?

I told him I'd be doing good to learn about the teddy applic ation- fabric I can be an artist in, paint....no way.  I keep reminding him, this is all cheaper than therapy....and teddy bears will never betray a confidence!

For others out there, you might want to take a look at the class offerings on the North County Bears website, because the have maybe 10 classes.  Some are for brand new soon-to-be-bear-artists, some for those of us in the middle, and some for the more advanced person.

Nancy Tilberg is currently doing a sculpting class, which  would suggest that it will be given again.

Just info for however is interested

Dily

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, by now Dilu is in the midst of her online airbrushing course (can't wait to take that one!!). So I want to know how it's going... Dily??

I've tried those water mixable oils and love em!!! (Thanks Shelli!!!!!) My new Aritar is Sienna - named after the color oils I used! OK, not very original!! bear_tongue Does she look too much like a raccoon?? That's what I'm afraid of. My hubby does NOT like the look. Then again, I don't like the wheels he put on his Mustang so we're even! :lol:

Hugs,
Daphne

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Daphne, I think your bear turned out great!  Especially for a first time piant brushing on a bear.  I like what you said about the wheels on your hubby's mustang!!!!:D  Keep up the good work!

Dilu,  Your hubby sounds like a very considerate guy!  The tiger I airbrushed requires quite a lot of hours and really good control of an airbrush.   "Funny " little story:  I entered this exact airbrushed jean jacket(pictured in earlier post) in our county fair several years ago.  It won first place and then one of the judges asked me if it was an iron-on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WHAT???!!!  I could not believe it...I explained to her that this was an ORIGINAL free hand acrylic airbrushed one-of-a-kind pianting. Ie ie ie yi yi yi yi yi .!  I was pretty insulted.

I used to draw and piant tigers all through high school so I was really in tune with all the colors and details on a tigers face.  This particular tiger was my first attempt at airbrushing a tiger,  I had about four years of airbrushing experience before doing it.  On my website in the art gallery there are other examples of my airbrushed paintings.  The one called "Ghost Horse" I did when I was 18 years old and only airbrushing for about 6 months.

Airbrushing on bears is a cake walk by comparison to airbsuhing a painting.  The tiger painting took me a week to complete,......while I can airbrush an entire teddy bear in about ten minutes or less.  It is like the icing on a cake!...only it doesn't make you fat!!! hee hee hee.

In the class I walk you through everything step by step.....but the sky is the limit as to where you can take it.  The more you do, the better you will become and the more confidence you will gain to be able to try different things.  I can tell youthat I am having a blast with airbrushing on my bears...it is like watching them come alive right before my eyes.  I hope you will fell this way too about your bears!

HUGGIES
Judi

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Daphne, I love your shaded bear.  But then again, I'm biased toward the shading thing.  I do not think it looks like a raccoon.  And over time you'll experiment with placement of your shading -- closer to the eye, farther from, in different patterns (tear shaped, circular, just under the eye, etc.) -- and will come up with your best "look."

Daphne-your bear is great!  No  Sienna doesn't look like a racoon, you silly, but she does have this kind of amazed excited look.  I like it.

The class is sort of going OK.  My airbrush still isn't here, and I am getting antsi!. 

However I printed up Judi's lesson three which goes into airbrushing technique....with the color pictures because in this case they really are important

I am practicing the technique in my mind- I know sounds crazy-but its what I did many many many years ago as a concert pianist-you just close your eyes and feel yourself playing-so why can't you close your eyes and feel yourself spraying?

The instructions are so clear and detailed...if anyone is interested in learning this technique I would really like to encourage them.  There is no ambiguity, no feeling of 'now what' I can hardly wait till the....brush gets here. 

Judi-  for some strange reason I cannot log onto the forum board- just to let you know-I am still there-  it is some strange feedback thing where I get into this weird endless loop of campus cafe-click airbrush forum-back at original login screen....oh well

Nancy has tried to help- she doesn't know either

I say its the computer gremlins....they visit here frequently. bear_laugh

Board footer