Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

A while back this year Daphne challenged us to do something... even if it was a little thing... to help spread the word about artist teddy bears. 

I've been given a great opportunity - a church craft show.

One of my neighbors remembered that I make bears.  She's helping a woman out who is helping to organize a craft show for a church just down the street from me.  She asked if I would be interested...$20 for the table.. I signed up!

She asked me the price range of my bears and I told her.  She was a bit surprised - and seemed a little worried that I was overpriced for the show.  But I told her not to worry.... my main goal was to try to spread the word about artist teddy bears... and collecting teddy bears.   Also, I will soon be offering teddy bear classes in my home, so this was a great way to start advertising that also.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be sending postcards to all my local collectors!!!  I would love to have some of my bears find homes at this show... but it will not be my main purpose.

I will FINALLY finish up the flier I've had in my mind... explaining what artist teddy bears are and that yes, adults collect teddy bears too!  I also have a big stack of Teddy Bear & Friends and Teddy Bear Review from my home show last year... I'll be passing those out too!

Hugz,
Laura Lynn

edited to add:  this show is one week before Schaumburg... speaking of which... I won't be online much as I have to get bears done!  Both for the show and also in the meantime.. since bear making is only income  bear_innocent

scruffiebears Posts: 318
Website

Hi,

I think this is a fabulous idea and I have just signed up for our local Christmas fair in November. I thought of taking some bears and telling people they can order them for xmas, taking samples of colour etc, explaining that they are unique and handmade. I also thought of having flyers on the table too. Im not expecting to actually sell any but if I can get one or 2 orders then its worth the £5 for the table.

I am going to make xmas cards too and sell them but I do think I can spread the word to more people.

Hugs
Susan

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

There's a club in our community called "Collectabelles"; a group of women who meet monthly who collect . . . well, anything.  I've been asked to speak at their October meeting about collecting teddy bears.

I'm taking this as an opportunity to spread the word about artist bears.  I think I'll make a flyer too.  Great idea.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Way to go Laura Lynn!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

clare14 Country Bears
England

That's fantastic LL!!   :hug:  :hug:    They'll love your bears cos they're scrummy!!   bear_wub

Whilst I wouldn't want to take their attention off the bears, perhaps you could take some pics of your bears and laminate them into bookmarks or something 'useful'  bear_original , then you've something to try and suit everyone's budget.

Have a fun day, I just love church sales and school fetes etc   bear_original

burlisonbears Burlison Bears
Louisville, Kentucky

Hooray Laura Lynn! I think it's a wonderful idea! Hope you raise awareness and good luck! Plus I think you should do what Clare said and make bookmarks with photos of your bears or even big buttons or stationary since anyone will be able to afford that.
:dance:  :dance:  :dance:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: Way to go Laura Lynn!!!  Its a great idea to get teddies out in front of the general public  bear_thumb

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Laura Lynn,
You just might be pleasantly surprized. A couple of years ago, a local Art Guild asked me if I would be interested in a table at their semi-annual show that is held in a local hotel. They sell high end items mostly for the home, like oil paintings, stained glass, jewelry, hand painted clothing, wraught iron sculptures, etc) Since this is a very small town ( although they do have a teddy bear collectors club of about 15-20 people ) I didn't expect to sell anything either. The collectors club here mostly collects much less expensive bears. I was so surprised that it ended up being one of the best shows I ever did. I have done the show in April and in November. I found the April show to not be so good for me as far as sales go, so I no longer do that one, but the November show is great! This also led to being asked to come to other local club meetings and give a program about teddy bears and collecting. I have gained many new collectors locally since that first show. In fact I just finished two bears for a brand new collector who was at one of those meetings. I will be doing the show again in November and look forward to it.
Sonya

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

I spoke at our quilt guild meeting last year and then taught a class. Last night I gave a presentation at the local Sewers Forum meeting so hopefully more and more are now educated re artist bears and the value of collecting them and supporting soft sclupture art
Hugs
Gail

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Laura..... Susan... Patty... Gail......  THANK YOU!!! You are benefiting the entire artist bear industry with you efforts, no matter how big or small!!! Every little bit helps. And hopefully more artists will continue to realize that they too have to make an effort to create new collectors if this industry is going to survive or better yet, thrive once again as a whole!

Awesome, awesome!!!!!!!  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  Your are all so greatly appreciated!!! Sonya, you too and great suggestions, Clare! :hug:  :hug:

BrozZ BearZ BrozZ BearZ
Toowoomba

Oh thats great!  :dance:  I once did a craft market at Christmas time, not really expecting any sales as, well you know, not many people where I'm from understand that these bears are for adults etc. but I was surprised that there were a few people out there that collected bears and even bough one or two  bear_original It was a great surprise and refreshing to know that there are people out there that collect and I'm not just the only one in my town that knows about them.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

On Sunday I am attending a Luxury market at the Stamford Hotel with my bears for the first time.
They have only recently started these - so I hope to spread the word with bears.
I am going to go and finish the things I should be doing.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.

Hugs

Carolyn
bear_flower

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Awesome Laura Lynn!!! May I say that you are smart and brave! I think having the pamphlets you made and the Teddy Bear Mags is a really good idea.

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

That's great Laura Lynn, hope you have a good day regardless of sales.  I do this kind of thing twice a year at my local village hall (just a £10.00 stall).  Don't sell much (maybe an odd one) but just educate, educate all day, the next one is on the 4th November and I love your idea of the leaflets, I think I may do something similar this time.  I also pop along to the doctors and dentist with old mags.

Pauline

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I'm so glad to hear about other things you are doing!  I think hearing about it keeps us excited about doing different things to help create artist teddy bear awareness  bear_grin

Wonderful ideas too guys, thanks!  I think IF I have time, I'll try a few of those smaller ticket item ideas...

Oh yeah... when I do finish up the leaflet, I'll be uploading it to TeddyBearCollecting.com as a PDF file so EVERYONE can use them!

Hugz,
laura Lynn

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

that's great, Laura Lynn!  I hope you also make a lot of sales too.   bear_thumb

I'm looking forward to the brochure you've been working on.    bear_original

Board footer