Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

So, imagine you're going to an exhibit that's supposed to celebrate 25 years of a magazine. What, exactly, would you expect to see at said exhibit?

Mindy

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I would love to see some of the original covers and articles.  Nothing huge, and maybe just a picture of a few pages.  I know that you have them onhand, and probably peruse them, but 25 years ago I was deeply into my horse passion, and Gund teddy bears, and had no idea your magazine existed!  No offence, at the age of 12, I didn't realize a lot of things existed  bear_whistle

I think it would be fun to see a sorta timeline ....the first cover, and maybe some glimpses of the pages as the formatting of the magazine itself evolved.  I'm betting the bear industry itself evolved during that time too.  I also missed the 'heyday' of teddy bearing, so I'd be interested to see glimpses of the shows in full swing. 

Do you have any teddy bear shops that have held up for 25 years? I did suggest Parlor Bears in Lincoln City, Oregon, but sadly just received the news that this Pacific Northwest icon has closed.   bear_sad   Are there other bastions of beardom that have held out for 25 years as well?? 

And what about the growth of the artist bears?  I think it would be cool to see how Teddy Bears and Friends has followed these, and watched the evolution taking place.  bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

<hehheh.  I see that Debbie mentioned the original covers. bear_original  Did you ever get ahold of one?  I hope, I hope, I hope.>

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Not what I'd "expect" to see, but what might be nice to see:

--  How about some kind of slide show or display of the TOBY contest that TB&F has run over the years, and the winners for each year?  Attendees would really see how bearmaking has evolved over time, not necessarily from "worse" to "better", but just in terms of new styles (anime, felting, etc.) and looks (contemporary, vs. antique looking offerings)

--  Perhaps a "where are they now" update on some of the foundational bear makers/manufacturers featured by TB&F in the early days, who made our own run in this industry possible.

--  Longevity certificates for bear artists/manufacturers who've been on the circuit and making bears steadily for 25 years, who've had some sort of association with TB&F.

--  A timeline of the magazine's publishers and editors.

--  A timeline of "updates" or modernizations or makeover of the magazine.  Did it get a new masthead or typeface at some point?  When?  Why?

--  Some sort of magnificent showcase of where TB&F, and teddy bears, are today.  With a focus on both artist bears, and highly prized antique and vintage collectibles as they function in today's market and in your magazine, today.

--  Lots of free espresso drinks and a huge pile of chocolate.  OH, wait... that's what would be nice to see EVERYWHERE I go. bear_original

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

The history of the magazine...the then and the now..via cover art (I'd love to see every cover myself...I love to see that stuff!), the award competitions over the years, any influential points that would be considered ground breaking or inspirational to the industry.  The coverage of teddy bear shows over the years.  Even the behind the scenes of the magazine itself...celebrating the magazine should probably celebrate who and how it's done.  Shoot...maybe go all out and see if artists would create a piece focused on this theme so that people visiting this exhibit could physically see what fills the pages of the magazine you're celebrating.
Can't forget the history of what the magazine itself is dedicated to.  The history of the teddy bear and all the details of it's journey to now.  The bears and the collectibles that surround the teddy bear.

:hug:
~Chrissi

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Ooh, I love the "behind the scenes" idea, Chrissi... and also, a history of TB&F via cover art.

If you can't get ALL the issues, Mindy, what about having another of those awesome photo collage produced?  You could have a "25th Anniversary" cover made using tiny photos of prior covers, and then blow it up big.

You did say you had three years to plan this, and a five billion dollar budget, right?  bear_tongue

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

Yeah, I'm with you on the espresso and chocolate!

I should note that I am not flaking out and asking all of you to do the thinking for me on this. I've have several things in the works but figured there might a "piece of resistance" idea that I haven't thought of -- or stuff sitting here that is so familiar to me as to be overlooked.

And I DID get my first issue from the eBay lady, so all is well there. I'm sure I'll find my copy immediately upon returning from Schaumburg. :)

MK

PS: Great ideas so far. But, um, no, not so much on the time and budget...

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

I am so glad you found the magazine, I guess I can quit tearing the house apart looking for it.  I know I have it...but my house looks like a library, and I don't keep the books with any rhyme or reason.  It's on my to do list.

I would like to see one of those museum type exhibits on the evolution of the teddy bear the way they do the evolution of man!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Phew!! I'm so relieved you've managed to find the magazine you wanted.  I'm betting the original shows up at the same time you have the other to hand....if its anything like my luck  bear_whistle

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

As I don't turn 25 until next year, maybe I'm not the best person to be answering this!!! :crackup:   However, I would love to see some behind-the-scenes stuff from the magazine - a bit of information about what goes into making an issue would be great as I don't think many of us can really appreciate all the work that produces a magazine.  Lots of old front covers would be good - I also like the idea of TOBY results through the ages - that would be a great representation of how artist bears/manufactured bears have evolved.  Perhaps an in-depth focus on one or two artists who have so far lasted the 25 years with lots of 'then and now' pics of them and their bears.  Have any events/shows lasted the 25 years?  Perhaps a mention of these.  All the little details to put the magazine in a context would be really interesting.  I'm sure you've thought of lots of these things already!!
Are you actually producing an exhibit??   Ohhh - I wish I could come and see!!!!  bear_happy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

What about honoring long time advertisers and/or contributors?

Are there any links between styles of bears, special bear events, etc. and current events throughout the world? Like political bears appearing during presidential campaigns? Astronaut bears honoring those on Space Shuttle Columbia? Patriotic bears in rememberance of 911? Might be interesting to see how the goings on in the world influenced artists who were written up in the magazine over the years. Also a way for those who were not on the bear scene 'back then' to associate the industry's events with the world's. Could be incorporated in the magazine's timeline.

Just thoughts.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I too would like to see the evolution of the magazine.  What the first artist bears looked like and how they have changed.  Even how the manufactured bears were 25 years ago and their changes and how the advertising has changed.   I love to see things evolve and grow...like a caterpillar changing into a butterfly....and even perhaps how many things have stayed the same over the years. :dance:

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

Hi Mindy! bear_flower  I think it would be nice to walk through Large Display panels such as a gallery type,I think these would look nice for the quest to walk, relaxed with other friends in a special room or a hall on the many years of evolution of Teddy Bear Magazine, and guests could probably take pictures of the artist that attend, and of course if possible some displayed  bears before and after:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Board footer