Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

adamsgirl Cheektowaga, New York

Hello Fellow Arctophiles!
I want to share some great uses for linen thread!   I have been using this type of thread for sewing in my bear's eyes and also for thread jointing smaller bears.  I used to use dental floss, but I noticed the floss would "slip" as I made the first knot.  No slipping of any kind with linen thread!  If you ever want to try it go to: http://www.twiceasnice.com/dollhair.htm.  Nice, super strong thread!
Lotsa Bear Huggies!
Darleen

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hi Darleen.

Welcome to the nicest beary group you'll ever find!

I adore your avatar bear - what a lovely chubby bear.

Linen thread is great is'nt it? I use the upholsterers strength for all sorts of work, it makes sooper sticky-up Gollie hair too!

Penny bear_tongue

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hi Darlene

how strong is the linen thread-hmmmm

Let's say (for comparrison) that Mastex upholstery thread is a 10- won't break
on a scale of 1-10 where would you put the linen thread?

Di

I am still jazzed about your suggestion using calipers----my honeybunny just left and I am on a seek and seizure mission to find the perfect set to add to my instrument box.

Youre a gem.  bear_laugh

Hi Dilu!
Nice to meet ya!
On a scale of one to ten (in comparison to Mastex) I would put the linen thread (single strand) at a 9 (Ouch..LOL!!).  Double strand...definately a 10!!   I always sew with a double strand no matter what I use...but nothing beats the linen thread!!  A guaranteed no slip!!
Nice tight sewn eyes!!
(Caliper pics will be here in a minute or two...(or three)!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Wow- ok Darlene
you've sold me-I will have to order some

Thanks

Di

Thank you Penny for the compliment on my "Christopher" bear!  He is my favorite!  He was adopted and is living on Ohio now (sniff...sniff :().  But I honor him by having him as my model on the homepage of my website.  Do you ever get sad when you ship out your bears?  I must be a weirdo :P...LOL!!
Well, gotta get back to work...I could sit here all day...I LOVE this forum!!! 
It was great meeting you guys!! 
Until next time...Bear Huggies!!!  :cool:
Darleen

ellen ontario, canada

Darleen, hello!
i see you are in new york. do you know of any bear supply stores/shops in your area??
*all excited like*
i'm not far from you (toronto area) and would love to be able to get some "goodies".
thanx
bear_laugh

Hi Ellen!!
Nope, no bear shops around here in the Western New York area that I know of...might be some in NYC.  What kinda "goodies" are ya lookin' for?!  Let me know!!
Darleen

ellen ontario, canada

ratttss!
i was just hoping to find some mohair and eyes on my way to pennsylvania.  we're also only an hour from you so it's no big deal to make the trip.....so i was hopin!  oh well.
thanx anyways.
bear_ermm

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Darleen,

You are not weird for feeling sad over your bears leaving.  Well, if you are, you're not alone.  Each time I finish a bear I say that I want to keep this one.  My family said that the house was filling up so that is how I started selling.  I shipped a bear to England a few months ago.  The lady emailed me and told me that she lives near the sea.  It sounded wonderful.  I guess a part of me is now in England.

Hi Darleen and Millie

I have actually sobbed when packing up bears.

It's the little look they give you, as if to say - 'why are you sending me away?' :(

There was one bear i made that i absolutely adored, her name was Harper and when i came to pack her off to her new home i could swear she was crying! OH GOD I FELT SOOOOO MEAN! I still wonder how she is.

I now no longer sell the bears that i really have a thing for - this spares me all the heartache and i know that they are OK.

Millie - your lady who lives by the sea in the UK, her name is'nt Mary is it? Let me know as i have a lovely lady who has bought loads of bears from me and she lives by the sea - i know we've got a lot of coastline here so maybe i'm being stupid (no change there then).

Penny bear_original

Ohio

Penny,

The lady who bought my bear is Sheila.  When she emailed me, she said it was lambing time and she described England just like I would imagine.  It made me want to go visit my bear.  Maybe someday.

Millie - you can come and visit me anytime you want Hon!
We've got loads of room - bring your bears on a cultural trip, we could nip over to France or Italy too!!!!

Penny bear_laugh

Oh my Gosh, Penny!!  You have to hear this...When I read what  you said about your bear Harper seemed to be crying, my mouth dropped!!!   When I look at my bears (especially when I am packing them up) it looks like their facial expressions change!  And a co-worker of mine (that I made a bear for) told me that her bear does the same thing!  Weird, huh? bear_ermm

I don't think it's weird Darleen - after all the personality we stitch into our bears we should'nt wonder that they have feelings too!

I don't know if i'll ever be able to sell another bear now

Penny ::/

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I have been using " linin type thread " for along time...Actually what I have is " artificial sinue " , it's waxed , has 5 strand twisted together  and is great to work with. I split the strands, use 2 for tying the eyes in on 12 ish " size bears.
It is also wonderful to needle sculpt with. It NEVER slips and is easy on the hands when pulling....no frustration , no cut fingers or hand or callouses....
When I finish the eyes at the back bottom of the head just outside the disc, I go one step further , I  go back inside the hole I just came out of and...then take the thread to UNDER that disc and out....Pull the 2 threads there and tie off ...I do 3 knots  which really stick together ,then bury the thread...I leave a long enough threads inside the head...just in case I need to remove the eyes for some unknown reason....
Tying under the disc means there is NO DIMPLE at the back bottom of the head ...Yeah ! That drove me nuts... I bought my white, black, brown  artificial sinue at HUff's Leather Supply , it comes on a roll ,I believe it was only about $2. 98 ...so worth it ! If you do not have a Huff's or a Tandy ( which is now online ) look around in your area  for a leather supplier or a taxidermist supplier.....Winney

oooooooh Winney, i'll have to try and get some of that stuff. I wonder where i'll find it in the UK? I'll have to have a hunt around.

I tie the eyes under the disc too - i hated that dimple. It always drove me nuts especially on the really short sparse mohair - it was so noticable.

Great minds think alike eh?

Penny bear_laugh

Ohio

Penny,

That cultural trip sounds great.   Maybe that day will come (I hope).

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, y'all . . . Darleen, very nice to have you on board!  I also use artificial sinew for setting eyes and just LOVE it.  After trying all sorts of things, I found that the sinew works by far the best.  I get mine at craft stores . . . Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and sometimes JoAnn's.

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hi Darleen,

Welcome to the group, again I'm sure you'll love it here.

I just checked out your webpage - it's really well done!  what adorable bears your make!  You'll fit in really well here, I can tell!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Darleen!

Just trying 2 catch up on posts and wanted to say hello!!

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Hi Darleen,

I can't remember if I welcomed you to the board yet--dizzy days, these are!:rolleyes:  but if not, WELCOME'!!  We have a lot of fun here, and even learn a thing or 2.  Your bears are great. bear_original:)

Board footer