Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Japhe Japhe's Bears
UK

I have sent a couple of bears to the USA and have never used a customs form, the post office has never said that I need one so my question is should I be using one??? I find it very confusing I am not a business, bear making is a hobby and selling my bears is just a way to fund the fur for my next bear. I want to make sure when I send a bear off it is going to arrive  and am scared that by not using a customs form the poor bear is going to end up lost or worse.
Thanks for any advise you can give.
Huggies
Jackie

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

Hi Jackie,

When I send abroad I never actually enclose any forms, but I do use a sticker called 'Customs Declaration CN22' which is about 10cm by 10cm and just sticks on the outside of the parcel.  There is a space to write a brief description of the enclosed item and its value.  Its very simple.  Just ask at your post office counter for some 'custom declaration stickers'.  I've never had a problem when I've used this.  Hope this helps!!  If you are still stuck then let me know and I will send you one.
Happy christmas!!

Japhe Japhe's Bears
UK

Hi Samantha bear_wub
Thank you :hug:  I will pick some up next time I am at the post office.
Huggies
Jackie
xx

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hello Jackie,

I don't think it makes any difference to the Post Office why you are making bears, they just need to declare the value for customs in the country you are sending to.

katiecountrymouse1 KatieCountryBears
Bolton-le-sands, Carnforth
Website

Hi Jackie
I work at a post office.
Every small packet/parcel going to any country not in the EU has to have a customs label on.
It just stops the custom opening your package.
Hope that helps.
Love kayx.

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website
Japhe wrote:

I have sent a couple of bears to the USA and have never used a customs form, the post office has never said that I need one so my question is should I be using one??? Jackie

Hi Jackie, the short answer is yes! bear_original   In fact, I'm surprised your post office hasn't said anything before.  The white stick-on forms are really easy to use and teddy bears count as soft toys and are zero-rated for duty when going from the UK to the US. 

To make their passage even easier, there is something called a 'harmonised tariff code', which you can write in the relevant box on the customs form, and then your customer should not have to incur any customs charges by mistake and then go through the tiresome process of claiming them back. 
The code for 'stuffed animal soft toys' is: 95034100

Put this code on any bear you send outside of the European Union - not all countries are as generous regarding duty as the USA, but this code will, at least, speed your bear on its way that bit faster and may even decrease the possibility of your package being opened by customs.

Best wishes,
Christine

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website

i use that little lwhite sticker and always wrote animal soft toy on it plus the paid value for it
cat xxxx

Board footer