Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

1.jpgWith the last 2 bears I have made, I have been using the white felt around the eyes instead of painting them like I always have. Well, my question is, How do you airbrush around the eyes without getting it on the white felt? I know that you can airbrush before I insert the eyes, but I feel like it wont be right. I have to have my eyes and nose in place before going any further. If the head doesn't look good, it just gets thrown aside.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hmmmm . . . in that case, Roxanne, I just use the Prismacolor markers for adding color around the eyes.  If you're careful, you can shade without getting any on the felt.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Roxanne, I agree with having the eyes fully in place before airbrushing.
Markers can be great for detailing around eyes like Sue Ann suggest...
However if you want to airbrush there's a couple of things you can do.
Use a fine needle on your airbrush and turn down the PSI (pounds per square inch of pressure). 
What you want to avoid is overspray that is why turning down the PSI will help.
When spraying point the direction of paint flow away from the eye and work close to the surface.
You could also use masking tape to cover the areas you want to protect.  If you do this still point the paint flow direction away from the eye to avoid underspray as sometimes the tape will not protect entirely.

Also, I like to work very lightly using lots of layers of color.   Not only will this have a nicer softer effect without stiffness of the mohair but it will also prevent applying too much shading.

Good luck to you!!! bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

Thanks girls!
Sue Ann, I defiantly need to pick up some of the Prismacolor markers.
Excellent helpful hints with airbrushing too, Judi.
Thanks again  bear_flower

Board footer