Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

When you create a bear with a centre seam do you make the sides of the head larger than for a normal bear head with a gusset?  And if you do by how much 1/8", 1/4"????

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Hi Jane,

You don't need to increase the size of the head sides. All you need to do is to cut the gusset pattern in half lengthwise from nose to back of neck, and then be sure to add standard seam allowances to each side of the gusset, including the edges you've cut.

Basically, the center-seamed head was developed by Steiff only to economize on mohair. By cutting out every 8th (or 9th?) gusset in two parts, they minimized waste.  The center seam was not used for extra shaping.

However, since they were produced in smaller quantities, these center-seamed bears are relatively rare, and have a definite charm of their own!

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Hi Jane I asked a similar question in November under Tips & techniques (sorry I don't know how to do links) this may help you.

Hugs Ali x

oops sorry Eileen I took so long looking up where I previously posted I missed your answer!

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

Thanks Eileen and Ali.

I was wanting to do a centre seam bear without a gusset!  I have seen some patterns from Australia which are like this and that is why I was wondering if the side head pieces are larger than normal.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Jane, you will need to put darts in the pattern pieces if you're making a two-piece head - so that it will be more rounded.  I can draw an example for you if you need a visual aid.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

That would be appreciated Sue Ann - I'm more a visual person.  Thanks!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

While I'm drawing and uploading, here is a link that might help.  http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php … 27#p267027

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Jane, here is a pattern piece like I use for a two-piece, center-seam head.

side_head_with_darts.jpg

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

Thank you so much Sue Ann I really appreciate it! :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

They are adorable thanks for sharing.  NO Yorkie was harmed in this process :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Oh . . . sorry I didn't understand what you were asking!

Here's a tip to make up for it:

When draping a cat for pattern purposes, be sure to lay down a bed of catnip! :dance:

Board footer