Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Blimey Wonks!

You were a CONCERT PIANIST?

Well i'll go to the bottom of our stairs! You are a talent to be reckoned with are'nt you?

Why did'nt you mention this before? How absolutely wonderful Dilu

Penny bear_laugh

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Daphne, Sienna is so wonderful . . . great job with the airbrush! 

Dilu . . . would LOVE to hear you play sometime!  You ARE a talented wonk!!  bear_grin bear_grin

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hey you guys....

it was long ago and far away, though I do continue to play for pleasure and entertainment......and since I have gollywoggels dancing across the top of the piano I do have to play their song.....

This really is all their fault you know-but what can I say-been in love with them for
YIKES 47years :D

Gotta love life-we are all so multi-faceted and have so many layers to us.  I guess that's one of the joys of growing a little older- that and more patience.

Feeling delightfully dillydally wonky Dilu

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Dilu, you are an absolute gem. I can just imagine you playing the piano with all the gollywoggels dancing and singing on top of the piano.

Do they have any particular favourites?

That image has really made me smile bear_laugh:D:D

Penny

In fact, i can just imagine a kind of Siegfeld Follies type of scenario - loads of mirrors, tap dancing gollywoggels - synchronised dance sequences and you Dilu, all done up in a long silk evening gown with feathers in your hair pounding the ivories, playing something like 'Rhapsody in Blue'

NOW I FEEL REALLY HAPPY! bear_laugh:lol::D:lol::D

oh Penultimate Penny

Claude Debussey wrote a series of pieces for his daughter.  One of them he named the Golliwogs Cakewalk.  I learned it when I was a little kid.  It is fast and fun and syncopated and,well, just gollywoggely.  The music had a picture on the front, an elephant holding a balloon in his trunk and the balloon face was a Gollywog face. 

I am working on an elephant so that I can change my avatar and use my golly's face as the balloon.  I don't know...

but then I never thought I could get a website up, and I did, not professional, but hey it's up and running.....
And I never thought I would get a picture up here...boy did I have a headache this am but Quy, bless him forever, gave me an instruction, that wasn't intuitive to me, but I did it and voila.....oops sorry Marie; I don't have accent marks!

I think the Siegfeld Follies go on when I'm asleep-I swear everyone is in a different position in the morning.

You just can't trust the little guys and gals, but you can enjoy them.:D

Dilu

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Dilu, you wonky gollywoggeler,

I'm curious about the Golliwogs' Cakewalk.  I would love to have a copy of the piano music to that.  I'm no concert pianist, but I can get around on the ivories a bit.  Do you have access to a fax, and would you mind sharing?  Also, I'd love to see the picture on the cover.  I am fascinated by Golliwogs. 

Let me tell you a short (true) golliwog story that made me cry.

I set about making a golliwog that I determined would not be considered offensive.  He was to have brown skin, a cute face, and a careful hairdo.  It actually took me a few years from the start til the finish of the little fellow, as there was a divorce (unsolicited by me) in the middle.  When Olliwog Golliwaddle (Ollie) was finally finished, I proudly displayed him at the Humboldt Artisans' Holiday Festival, a wonderful show I do yearly in my home town. 

To my complete and utter dismay, a sweet elderly black lady who had come to the show directly from church, with several friends, all dressed in their Sunday finery addressed me in the softest, kindest voice imaginable as she related to me that Ollie, my pride and joy, was offensive to her.  I was stunned.  A few seconds later, I managed to pick my heart up off the floor.  I simply had to press in.  Through watery eyes and quivering lips, I offered my apology and asked what about little Ollie was offensive to her. 

She was of the impression that Ollie represented the stereotypical "Al Jolson"-type buffoon.  Certainly it had not been my intent, but I had made the mistake of using the color, white, for the lips.  In my sincere desire not to offend, on the spot I colored the lips tan with a marker I had in my sewing kit.  It looked horrible that way.  I hoped I had not ruined it forever.  Indeed, I did salvage Ollie by remaking his  mouth from tan ultrasuede.  The End...but not the end of my interest in gollis.  Surely I will unwittingly offend again, but creating the lovable little nappy-heads will make it all worth while anyhow.

0lliwog_golliwaddle15in_lsw687.jpg 
The offending Ollie

holmes_11_in_golliwog__webread.jpg 
My newest creation, 'Holmes'

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ooh Laure, did you make them both?  Makes me want to try my hand at Gollying.  I adore those two.  My fav would have to be Holmes.  Just adorable!

(Do you mind if I snag the name Holmes for one of my bears?)

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Laure . . . the gollies are adorable!! bear_grin You know, I try to be politically correct as much as possible, but sometimes there is just going to be SOMEBODY that is gonna be ticked anyway!!  And I LOVE that avatar!

Awwww Laure

I think you handled the situation wonderfully.  My husband reminds me that if anyone complains I can honestly tel them I have 3 black stepsisters.....But I think the most important thing is that no offense is ment, and certainly that has  been the history behind gollys, no one was trying to offend

As for the music, you betcha! I can fax it to you or copy it on the copier and mail it to you.  Which ever way you like.  I learned the piece as a child and it isn't difficult but when you play it you'll understand why it captured my 8 year old heart, and turned my life into a search for my golllywoddely soul mate...

I can also take a picture of it and try to post it for everyone else....
Let me know what you want- either way is easily done!  :)

Today I designed 2 mini woggles- I want to try and make some pins-

Your little guys simply put me to shame- they are truely works of art, simply delightful-I would have bought one at the show, if I could have, thats for sure!

You are right about the politically correctness stuff-gets me in trouble all the time

Did you know there is an  International Golliwog Collectors Club?

They send out a fun little newsletter and always have some great pictures-if you are interested I'll post the address

Gollyhugs to you (I still miss your face)

Dilu

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Dilu,

What do you do when people complain about your gollies? Do you cry like I did, or are you beyond that?  When I was at the Lincoln City Convention last Oct, there was a lady speaker who had an amazing golli collection with her, and in her talk, she mentioned that if someone acts offended, we should tell them about the original Florence Upton golli stories, and that the golli was always a gentle hero in those stories.  Somehow, I don't think the offended lady I encountered would have been assuaged by that bit of info.

Golli pins would be so cute!  As for the Cakewald music, why don't you first try faxing it, as I tend to crave instant gratification whenever feasible. 707-442-9419  I think you should definitely post a picture for everyone, but "Golly Gee", I'd sure love a copy on my fax, in hopes that it would be framable.

I do believe I've heard of that club, but when I first heard, the gollis hadn't captivated my heart so rapturously as they have now.  I'd love to have the address.

Thanks for the compliment on my gollis.  Everyone has their own style.  I think the more traditional style is wonderful.  An asset about the non-politically correct ones is that often their homeliness is an endearing quality.  They are silly looking and carefree and utterly lovable.

Golliwoggeldy wonky Hugs,

Awww honey- except for a precious few beary people here, no one has ever seen my gollys.  I have never been to a show even just to see stuff-let alone sell.   So I have never had anyone complain.

The little guys have been for my delight-I would like to sell but am unsure if my style is saleable or good enough

I would do that tho- I would say say that teddy bears are really golly's best friend and that he is a wonderfully mischievious little guy that always saves the day.

PCness has gone too far and people have forgotten how to laugh- and too many people take offense where none was ever intended.....soooo.....:(

I will make copies of everything when I get off here, and fax away....hope you like it

a wonkily supportive Dilu :P

and I'm not even going to spell check!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I love all those Gollies ..Laura, my heart breaks for you, what a awful experience. I do think that some black people may not even know about the history of Gollies but do know about Al Jolsen and being that the blacks have been so supressed even after Lincoln ( 200 years ago) I can sympathize with the older  black lady too.

Sometime ago I made a black sherpa fur bear and dressed her like Mamie, in a red print long dress with white and pink hearts all over it , the white organdy bertha type apron ,and of course her head kerchief and gold loop  earrings. She did not have white lips but she has white muslin behind the eye and  she has that side glance look . In her arms is a little black baby with dangely limbs dressed in a white very long gown , bonnet and the same eye treatment. They both smile and are looking googlie eyed happily at each other. I called it " Mommie Love and her Suger Babe " .

The story behind this piece is , during the plantation days selected black female slaves were used as wet nurses for the plantation owners babies...often they were not allowed to care for their own in this way if they were use for the white owners baby...how awful. So...my Mamie is actually a " celebration of black freedom tribute " piece to the black mommie as she now cares for her OWN baby, they show the normal love relationship  any mommie has towards her  baby and no one should take this away from anyone.

I use to keep her in a box in the car trunk....I would pre select black ladies at resterants or where ever and ask them if they would please give me some honest  feed back after seeing the piece...I wanted to know if it offended them and if not, what message did they get out of it ? Not one said it offended them...but thinking back all my test people were fairly young, a generation who may not know about Al Jolsen or about plantation wet nurses.

I went so far as to call Ted Menten in New York and asked him about it.YOu see what I wanted to do was to create a whole line of black Historical pieces to commerate the black race in their accomplishments but I did not want to get sued either...I said maybe I chould get the black organization to promote me in this ? His advice was to " not go out of my way as it could open a can of worms " instead.
Another tip he advised me to be careful with " names " of my pieces. The North American Bear Co. got into hot water over this when they made a bear and named him after some famous black basket ball star, it went to court and they lost... NOw, they are careful too when it comes to the name....

He informed me that if you make your bear black, use white lips and he wears white gloves..it reads Al Jolsen. Reason that is not acceptable is because the blacks were protrayed as minstral singers but the singer was white ( a mockery) so that was why it is very offensive to the blacks, its like mocking the black race.

Ted told me he did an ethnic piece for an auction to raise monies because of the earthquake in Jacobie Japan . It was  a larger ( size ?)  Japanese bear, in yellow mohair, she had slant eyes and was dressed in full kimona Japanese regalia. NO one was offended..... The piece went for a very high price and I think it now sits in the Jacobi bear .
museum. 

THe original glooywog had red lips didn't he? I remember getting a past issue of one of the  bear magazines , the whole issue was about Golliwogs. I think it would be special and helpful  if you did do a lot of Golliwogs to do some research. Write up a brief educational  story about the history of the  Golliwog ( he is NOT Al Jolsen ?)  pass it out at your booth to help educate the public,.This may help if you get some customers who seem to be offended ?..Winney

Winney and Laure

There is a lot of pro and con stuff on the internet-and there were some reprints of the books-on ebay

Laure-your fax isn't picking up-I have tried 3 times-ill keep trying

Winney

What wonderful information- thank you I am going to save what you wrote and save it in my golly file

I can hardly wait to meet the 2 of you, I hope we are still on for June.

Dilu

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Winney,

Thanks for the golli info.  I like your idea of writing a brief story about the golliwog for customers.  Maybe it would be something I could frame and display at shows.

Dilu,

I have heard the fax ring a time or 2 this morning, but I was having a monthly ladies breakfast fellowship here, so didn't pay much attention.  Once again, the fax rang and I received your cover page saying there were 13 pages following, but the second page was an error message from my system.  It says I should ask you to send it again.

Double Hugs,
PS: I'm looking forward to our June meeting too.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Very interesting story on the golly, Winney.  You actually talked to Ted Menten??!!  He's a hero of mine!  I took my second design workshop from him way back in 1997.  He is a CHARACTER!!  He's selling off his vast teddy collection on e-bay right now, and I've bought a couple from him and am bidding on another at the moment.  Fascinating!!

White City, Oregon

Yes...I got this idea one day to ask a pro. about this subject ..and Ted's an old pro...so ,I found his phone number somewhere in an old ted magazine...New York !!!LOng Distance !!!  Oh, well, what the heck, give it a try, he probably won't be there anyway....ring, ring, ringey dingy ding went the phone ...then a pick up and a nice  male voice said " Hello " ?I said...Hello, is this Ted Menten ? He said ; yes.... I said; Well I'll be darn it is Ted Menten ! ....you don't know me but I know you...I live in Anaheim and I make teddy bears..do you  have a minute to chat?.....it went on from there..What a nice man he is , he was so relaxed and not hurried at all...and he was very helpful..... Winney

White City, Oregon

Oh yes..I think I"d call that experience a " Teddy Bear Rush "..a bit foamy up in the old head like champagne, he, he.
I have been known to do things like this before...

When I was just five I use to sing a lot, I already knew what I would be when I grew up...a singer, because I was already a singer. ( actually this did come true) OK... so after church I would skip ahead of my G. grandparents then dance on down the sidewalk...I was pretending I was  Miss Shirly Temple in my black patent leather shoes. Well, someone saw me that had connections...in Holly wood and contacted my grandparents for a screen test for a picture with Bob Hope .. but my mother said " NO".
Way later on I learned of this and was very upset at my mom...how dare she do this to me ? I missed my golden opportunity.. I went to see the picture when it came out and then got this idea I was going to call Bob Hope and tell him about it. Maybe he'd give me another chance?....so I did.
I  used a pay phone with my quarter, got the  operater and actually got Bob Hope's phone number...called it but he did not answer the phone, someone else did ...who?  Who ever, but I learned there are some people in the world that other people won't let you talk to..how unfair ! He, he ...end of this part of the story...

Later on I would have  a beautiful colortura voice, I sang light opera , musical comedy and ballads ,chaior ( spelling?)  music .People thought I sounded a lot like Barbara Strisand....another story....

My daughter in law says I am" gutsey "...On a beautiful sunny day in Anaheim she is driving , I am the only passenger ...we come to a stop at a main intersection. We  have the windows open ...up pulls a cop car to our left, he also has his windows open ... I can see him clearly, he's looking at us..I couldn't tell if he is wearing his seat belt or not so I blurted out " HI officer ! Are you wearing you seat belt "? He said " yes"...I said "that's good "   he just smiled and my daughter in law I think died of embarrasment in her seat... She said " MOm...I can't believe you just did that "? She was cracking up too....He. He. ...Winney

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Oh, goodness, Winney . . . you BEARLY missed being a STAR!!  Gosh, I'm pleased to "know" someone who almost played opposite Bob Hope!!  You do have a bunch of chutzpah, my friend, but I do admire it from one who cowers in a corner!  Hugs, the wallflower

White City, Oregon

Is chutzpah a jewish word ? It sounds like a baked pretzel...he, he... I use to have stage fright so bad I'd develope larengitius over night or would loose my voice right after the performance, nervousness. I also felt  my knees were knocking  and would have a ver bad case of butterflys..It interfered with  my performance so much and undemined my confidence ...I felt like a bowel of jello.

So...Determined to break that hold it had on me I decided to join a local theater group and somehow got casted as a supporting role to the lead...and the play would be done in " theater in the round" this ment that you would not be on a seperate stage but instead the audiance is seated all around you....you simply cannot make any eye contact with anyone in the audiance or you break character.... oh horrers, I agreed to do this ? YES... and it worked.
They say for whatever fear you have there is a remedy...face the fear straight  on...and it will not be able to reduce you to trembles any more...
Since then I have been in many different types of productions, even wrote a few myself  and had so much fun!                                                                                                                 ..............Winney

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Yes, chutzpah is a Jewish word loosely translated as nerve . . . although I'm not Jewish myself.  I am in awe of your talent!! bear_laugh  You and Dilu need to get together for a concert - she on the piano and you singing.  I'd LOVE to attend!!  I really like finding out what other talents/hobbies all of you have besides bearmaking.  What fun!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Winney... WOW!!!!  And too funny about the comment to the police officer :)

I actually prefer to be shy and quiet... but somehow find myself talking to people all the time.  And that makes me  feel quite conflicted very often  bear_rolleyes  But I've never been quite as gutsey as you!  You go Girl!!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Winney I loved your story about the Gollys. Here in the Uk there are not too many people who make gollys but I was prompted to make one for a very sweet lady. She said that Gollys were always seen as friends to Teddys and that she would love for me to make one for her. I spoke to quite a few bear artists and had mixed responses on the ethical side of if to make a golly or not. I decided that I would make my own kind of golly and so my Golly-dollys were born. The lady who had first asked for me to make a golly for her snapped up my first golly and asked if she could  buy everyone that I make thereafter. This was fine at first but I am now making extra gollys which I am selling via my website and at shows. I get a mixed reaction from visitors to the show but overall the response is good. 
Laure your gollys are wonderful. I felt so sorry to read of your upset over your golly. What a shame that things were so uncomfortable for you after you had worked so hard to make you little golly so special. I would never wish to offend anyone with my gollys only give pleasure to the golly collectors. I am making a collection of gollys for the show at Alexandra Palace in London, I just hope that they do not upset anyone.The little guy below is called Pip and the girl is called Miss Molly. I hope you like them.

Jane.

http://www.doodlebears.co.uk
http://www.craftyfolksads.co.uk

Georgie.jpg

missmollygolly.jpg

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Daphne, I love Sienna!  Definitely NOT a raccoon!!  Laure, I'm so sorry for your first Golly experience bear_sad  I think I would have had the same reaction as you did... especially when you went out of your way to try NOT to offend anyone!?!  Jane and Laure - Love your Gollies!!  It's so cool to see how much variation in style there can be too.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Jane, your gollies are really, really cute.  Great job!!

Jane already knows how much I love her gollies-good for you Jane, sharing them here!  I thought everyone woulld love to see them.

Laure did the fax come through the last time-let me know- I can always do it again

Sorry if the rings were disrupting-oops

IMAG003.JPG

IMAG004.JPG

My new little ones, they are about 3" Tall

Dilu
Huggies to all (and I don't mean adult diapers.....yet......)

Board footer