Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Japhe Japhe's Bears
UK

I saw a Tissavel fur coat on Ebay yesterday there were no bids so I thought I would try for it and ended up winning it for 0.99p plus £7.00 P+P.
I am hoping to cut it for bears and think I have a bargain there should be loads of fur in it. I was just wondering if any of you recycle Coats for your bears and if it is a good way to buy expensive faux furs at a reasonable price.????
I am excited and cant wait for it to arrive the only drawback with it is its Black, I tend to shy away from using black fur but maybe a panda could be on the cards for the future if it works out ok. :pray:

Just a thought though will I be able to take a scissors to a perfectly good snuggly warm fur coat bear_ermm

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Oh, I have so many coats "haunting" my basement it's sad!  I have used coat linings to make bears but it seems when I get a full coat, I don't have the heart to cut it up.  Most of the ones I purchase are vintage and they are so stylish and so beautifully made...it just hurts me to do it. I know I will get the nerve one day.  It is a great way to get fabulous fabric at a great price (and tons of fabric I might add).

I need a nudge to cut into my coats!  I just bought a 100% Virgin Wool one the other day probably from the 50's (judging from the style) and I  want to use it!  NUDGE ME!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Lisa wrtoe:I don't have the heart to cut it up.  Most of the ones I purchase are vintage and they are so stylish and so beautifully made...it just hurts me to do it.

I'm in the same boat as Lisa. I have loads of fur coats and due to the quality and vintage appeal, I don't have the heart to cut them up. But there are a few ordinary coats that I have buckled up and took the scissors to.

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

:crackup:  :crackup: I am giving you a big nudge, I had collected a lot of coats also, but the only ones i kept were a full length mink, a silver fox, a childrens white rabbit, and a black seal.  they take up too much space.  I did make a bear from the black seal, so soft, but the pelts make it stiff.  so you better get making those bears from all those coats. :crackup:

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I go to the re-cycling shops here in Aussie land.  I have 2 mink stoles, 1 full length mink coat, 1 short mink jacket, 1 mink hat and about 6 little mink collars and 1 piece of grey lapin fur.   Plus all the mohair and synthetic... I don't think I will be buying fabric anymore in my life-time.

I love making the mink bears but sometimes the fingers get a bit sore from pushing the needle through so switch to the man-made fibres to give the fingers a rest..

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I have used a couple of coats before..Some times, depending on the wearer it can have flat pile in places...and I have thrown one away becasue it was not all it appeared to be..and it smelled. But I picked up a beauty from the charity shop for £8 and made bunnies out of it...you do have to be careful as the pile is sometimes pelted and cutting out can be difficult to get the undulations in the right places!!

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I bought a Tissavel coat with the exact same purpose in mind, but when I got it it absolutely STANK of nicotine and when I washed it it ran out brown  bear_wacko  It was horrid!  I just chucked it, I'm afraid: the fur never recovered from the washing...

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I usually buy my coats at the Thrift store so I can SEE, SMELL and FEEL the coat.  Smell is terribly important because I have so many allergies that I try to be very protective of my customers. 

Oh, and one FABULOUS source of mohair are the linings of raincoats.  I always check them and it seems that London Fog Raincoats, especially the vintage ones, are known for having mohair, wool or cashmere linings that are FABULOUS!  Unfortunately, most of the time, people forget all about the lining when they turn them into the thrift store and they are separated.  But if you see one, check it out.  A GOLDMINE I tell you!

Board footer