Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Japhe Japhe's Bears
UK

I only have 1 pair of scissors that I use for cutting fur it is a small nail scissors with pointed ends it is fantastic but I need to get another just incase anything happens to this one, So just wondering what you all use and if there is 1 specific scissors you would recommend? I have heard of 1 by Fiskars but there are so many I don't know wich one it is bear_wacko
Thanks in advance for any help.
Huggies
xxx

clare14 Country Bears
England

I use these.... 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … :IT&ih=006

I find that normal scissors hurt my fingers after a while, thesedon't and are super sharp and pointed.   Look forward to hearing what everyone else uses, good question!!   :hug:

Japhe Japhe's Bears
UK

Thank you Clare I  think that is the name of the ones I was told about :hug: They look great I have added them to my watched list.  :hug:  :hug:  bear_wub

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

I use the same scissors as Clare. These are great for your hands. You can also find them in sewing stores and stationery stores.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I have a pair like the one's Clare posted. I love them. But I have normal scissors in different sizes. Most are the Fiskars. I do have Ghinger's for fine thread work and trimming muzzles.

On an aside, a friend, who is a bear artist, gave me this hint: when there are sales at the craft or fabric store, buy several pair of scissors. This way you can have them in different parts of the house and you don't have to go in search of them when sewing.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I have the ones Clare mentioned and everyone else uses but I don't feel I have the control that I do with regular Scissors. I use these Fiskars: http://fiskarscrafts.com/tools/t_no-5-s … -scis.aspx

I often go into JoAnns or Michaels with my 40-50% off coupon and buy a pair just to have them. I've got them all over the place plus a nice stash put a way.

I also have little Ghingers for fine work like Michelle. Another thing those discount coupons are good for.... Ghingers are expensive. I have these 3 1/2" ones:
http://www.gingher.com/products/g_15.jpg
There is little to nothing ergonaumically friendly about them but they are wonderful!

I also use hair cutting shears...... they are wonderful for trimming muzzles. Very sharp! You can get them at beauty supply stores.... at most you don't have to be a cosmetologist to buy them. Perhaps there is a Sally Beauty Supply near you?

K Pawz Guest

I love the tiny yellow handled embroidery scissors made by Omnigrid. I love them to bits and always have a spare set on hand! they are super sharp, and the point super fine.

http://www.pieceocake.com/Notions/Omnig … issor.html

Hugs,
Krista

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

I use the same ones as Clare too and love them, even for cutting fur pelts and trimming muzzles.  They are so easy on the hands because they are spring loaded.

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

I use the Fiskars like Clare as well.  I love them so much that I brought a second pair just in case I misplaced the first pair.  They are wonderful on your hands.  I did find them much cheaper to purchase at a large stationery shop (Officeworks in Australia), than in a sewing shop.  I don't know how the Ebay prices compare.  Fiskars also do a brilliant range of "normal" scissors in smaller sizes.  I like these for fiddly trimming.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I may be on the outs here but I could not use those Fiskars that are spring loaded.  They hurt my hands believe it or not and like Daphne I didn't seem to have control.  For cutting out mohair I have one pair of scissors that I use and believe it or not they were a cheaper pair of craft scissors I bought for two dollars somewhere many yrs ago.  I have tried all kinds of other scissors but prefer these one.  I do have a pair like Daphne showed which I do like as well , plus we have many small scissors for trimming and face sculpting .

big hugs

Shane

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

My favourite scissors are about 4" in length and are KAI  they are razor sharp and really good on natural fur
Hugs
Gail

Japhe Japhe's Bears
UK

Ok I am definatly going to get the fiskars soft touch and keep my eyes open for the Ghingers one I think I will also be looking out for any bargains to be had on ebay.
Thanks everyone :hug:  :hug:  bear_wub

wilma Posts: 51

I use scissors I bought from a quilting store. It's very sharp and rather small, I think the brand is KAI but I have to check...

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I think it really does depend on what you're cutting, but the ultimate most important thing is if they feel comfortable for you.  Nothing else matters. 

I use the Fiskars that Claire uses.  I purchased a second pair at the time of my original purchase, but knock on wood, my first pair are still going strong after 7 years hard use.   bear_original

For scissoring the muzzles and faces on my real fur bears, however, I turn to the tools of the trade from my dog grooming years.  I utilize Fromm scissors.  http://grooming.petedge.com/Fromm-Premi … 364001.pro  Over the years I've also used Andre Tisserand shears, but these are the shears that I am most comfortable with having put in hours and hours handscissoring dogs with them.  When I switched from my original Andres to Fromm, it took me at least two days before I started being comfortable with the new balance of the different shears.

The most important thing is that the scissors feel balanced in your hand.  You shouldn't be fighting with the shears, if you are, they are not the scissors for you.  You shouldn't be exerting any more extra force than is minimally necessary for the task, otherwise over time, you'll find muscle spasms and increased difficulties = low productivity for your bear making   bear_happy

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I forgot to add, Fiskars do a brilliant scissor sharpening tool that I've utilized for over ten years on all sorts of shears.  It helps to keep your scissors sharp.  I've found that after awhile even the best of blades need a sharpening, and rather than send them off (and have them damaged.), I can just draw my shears through the Fiskars sharpening disk, and voila!  I'm ready to cut again.   bear_flower

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Ginghers (3.5"). Sadly I dropped mine and they won't cut the last 1/4 inch of the blade. You can't even see the bend with your naked eye. I am sure a knife place could sharpen them and fix the tip.

I have Fiskers for cutting large pieces of fabric.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I use the same as Clare as well. You really cant go pass Fiskars. They make cutting out a breeze. I also have them in a dressmakers size.
Wendy

Board footer