Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

OK, I finally finished a bear today.  Got down to the business of airbrushing........  Started everything up and tested my Badger airbrush in my kitchen sink.  It EXPLODED everywhere!  Tiny paint splatters all over the place.  Got that mess cleaned up.  Filled the paint reservoir with water.  Tried to figure out the problem.  Air flow not an issue.  Perhaps paint flow is the issue.  I took the airbrush apart.  Now I am looking online at a diagram to reassemble it.  The black plastic back piece won't tighten all the way now.  I probably have it assembled wrong and even if I DO figure out the assembly, will that fix my original problem?  What's the deal?  Any ideas or hints very appreciated!  Now I'm off to put my 5 yr old in time-out!

155360.jpg

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

This is EXACTLY why my airbrush still sits in it's box.... 2 years after buying it!!! Cause I just know it won't work right and I'm clueless as to how to reassemble the thing so I don't want to use it cause then I'll have to take it apart to clean it. And by the time I've gotten so frustrated with it, anyone who crosses my path is gonna be in BIG trouble! bear_angry

Connie.... obviously all I can offer is my sympathy but I'm offering TONS of it!!!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

I'm kinda where Daphne is. Mine's in the closet for the last couple of years. Though I did try it and I was too nervous I guess and made a big mess. Mine didn't explode though. My airbruse is a Paasche and it wasn't nearly as complicated as the one in your diagram.

Just as an aside, I've always meant to tell you how much I love your Pop's saying. It sounds like something my dad would have said. It always gives me a smile.

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Thanks to you both for your support!  What a frustrating afternoon!!!  OK, I think I put the airbrush back together properly.  There is bubbling in the paint reservoir.  I have changed the needle and the tip to brand new ones.  I have tried cleaning the apparatus as best as I can.  Does anyone have a clue what my major malfunction is?  Any advice is appreciated!

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Have you checked the little airhole in the lid of the paint cup? Sometimes that gets clogged and interferes with the paint flow. Probably naughty but I use a thick needle to clear it out and everything's usually ok again....
   Other than that I can't think of anything else- I am not much of a trouble shooter but fortunately (touch wood! lol) things usually go smoothly.
   Good luck!

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

JUDI  where are you   :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: .  I am sure it is frustrating as heck and I know we had problems when we first used ours, very similiar to what you are talking about.  Have you checked the badger website to see if they could offer any help??

hugs

Shane

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Well, I was a dog with a bone yesterday and I searched and searched the internet for "airbrush bubbling" and finally came up with an answer!  I didn't think it was a cleaning issue cuz I'm kinda anal about that kind of thing so I checked all my parts particularly the nozzle area under a magnifier for any types of cracks.  I didn't see any so I reassembled the thing using bees wax on the threads on the nozzle area.  Turned the thing on again and it worked!  Wasted a whole day on the dumb thing and I hardly use it anyway BUT!  The good thing about the episode is that I now know the workings of my airbrush inside out!  Thanks everyone for trying to help me!!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Connie,

I can understand your frustration.  Part of the battle of learning to airbrush is learning to trouble shoot.  I think I can help you here.

When you have a bubbling in your color cup it is due to a blockage.  Usually it's due to dried paint on the tip or on the needle.  When you're airbrushing you get a back flow of air on these parts and dried paint is often a side effect.

When this happens again...and it will...take your airbrush part but ONLY the tip and needle.  You don't need to mess the other assembly parts.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

PS... also  to reduce the amount of times you have to clear the tip make sure you use really good quality paints and make sure they are watered down enough. bear_thumb

Good luck Connie!

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Thanks, Judi!  I knew you would have answers but I didn't want to bother you directly!!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Connie..."bother me" , please. Anytime. I love to help if I can. :hug:  :hug:

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

Judi, I am getting my airbrush ot again and just bought a new gun, BUT what I want to ask, As i use to only use it on nail art, I prob have different paint. What paints do you use on your furs? Do they make the fur go stiff? I just have it in my head the fur will be stiff and yuk.
thanks

Board footer