Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

puca bears puca bears

Wow - they are all great, but like most of the others, I have to admit that the bunny bear_wub  bear_wub  is my favourite!
Lovely to see the photos of you and your dad, Daphne !
big huggies
Maria

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Wow Daphne,  I think your Dad has done absolutely brilliantly!!  Well done Frank!!!!!  You're a star!  I love them all but have a particular liking for the little bunny, Pistachio - very sweet.  I know I wouldn't be able to part with them if they were mine!!!

Keep up the good work, and best wishes to you all.

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Frank and Daphne, what a great creative team you make. I would love to learn to knit!!! I really love them all, but the little brown bear with the scarf that matches his feet is my favorite!

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Daphne & Frank,

What a wonderful collaboration! These are all absolutely adorable!!!!

Hugs &

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Daphne your pictures are great! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
You father is a handsome man.

The bears are bunny are very professional looking.  I am looking forward to seeing more.  bear_wub

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Wow! they are just super! I love the bunny! Can't wait to see more!

bearkidz bearkidz by Marion Fraile
charlotte
Website

Excellent work :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

:clap:  :clap:  :clap: Bravo Daphne and Frank!!!!  Wonderful work.......love that bun in particular, so sweet! bear_wub Can't wait to see more! bear_thumb

NewelleyBears Newelley.Bears
Harrow, Ontario

Daphne & Frank...

They are all awesome little creations...I especially like the wabbit. Just too cute for words!!!

Bear Hugs,

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks, y'all!!!  bear_flower  bear_flower

Dad is tickled pink at his sudden fame here on TT!!! He's read the whole thread. :dance:

Bobbie & Shane.... Dad says he is indeed doing the seams as Bobbie described. Could be that doing that to a sweater seam is different than to a bear that is going to be stuffed and have a lot of tension put on the seam? I dunno but Steve is going to give me (and Dad if he's well enough to come) a demo at the New England Spring Teddy Bear show at the end of the month. We'll get it figured out! In the meantime I can do a darn good ladder stitch to those seams after I stuff the bears so that's what I'll do. They don't stand out as much in person as they do under the spotlight for photos!

Sounds like dad is going to have to start breeding rabbits! LOL!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Daphne and Frank,
     Don't know how I missed this thread - they are ALL fabulous and you can see hos much love and work has gone into them.   Pistachio, however, has won my heart - how adorable is that bunbun.

hugs,

Brenda

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Somehow I knew you and your Dad would come up with some great little bears, but those surpassed my expectations!  Truly wonderful creations!  I hope to admire some in person in the not-too-distant future, and run off with any little bunnies when your back is turned.  Oops, perhaps I shouldn't have warned you...

:hug:
Kelly

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Kelly - I'm gonna have my eye on you!!! bear_tongue

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Dear Frank,
I can only take my hat off to you, firstly for a man to knit is a great achievement, then to see the final product , well I had to do a double take.
Here in TT Daphne has always mentioned her wonderful Dad, know I can see why, I am sure that you are as proud to have a talented daughter as she is to have a talented Dad.

I can see these teddy bears flying off the shelf and I am sure that TT members will have the orders streaming in. This is going to keep you out of mischief for sure.

Sending you a big bear hug all the way from South Africa.

bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb 

Lynette

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

I'm late to the post but they are adorable! go dad! i adore that bunny! you have to make bunnie sto sell..but definately keep some
for you!! bears and bunnies i mean! wow im impressed!  hugs deb

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Bobbie & Shane.... Dad says he is indeed doing the seams as Bobbie described. Could be that doing that to a sweater seam is different than to a bear that is going to be stuffed and have a lot of tension put on the seam? I dunno but Steve is going to give me (and Dad if he's well enough to come) a demo at the New England Spring Teddy Bear show at the end of the month. We'll get it figured out! In the meantime I can do a darn good ladder stitch to those seams after I stuff the bears so that's what I'll do. They don't stand out as much in person as they do under the spotlight for photos!

I am sure that is it Daphne - even if you don't stuff too firmly (which you can't with knitting) it is going to make the seam show a lot more than it would on a sweater. That is a great idea to just do a ladder stitch after it is stuffed if any of the seams seem to noticable. Sure makes me want to try knitting bears after seeing these but don't think I have the patience - that's like having to make your fabric and THEN make the bear!  bear_grin

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I want the bunny!!!!!!!!! So adorable!  Gorgeous bears aswell of course - clever man your dad is!

How lovely to see what your father has been up to.
Danni

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
edie wrote:

I am sure that is it Daphne - even if you don't stuff too firmly (which you can't with knitting) it is going to make the seam show a lot more than it would on a sweater. That is a great idea to just do a ladder stitch after it is stuffed if any of the seams seem to noticable. Sure makes me want to try knitting bears after seeing these but don't think I have the patience - that's like having to make your fabric and THEN make the bear!  :lol:

Oh, I'm really getting the itch to learn to knit!! I'm in the midst of reading a series of knitting mysteries by Maggie Sefton... kind of like John Lamb's teddy bear mysteries. The descriptions of the yarns, the scarves, sweaters....... I'd be lucky to do a scarf!!!!

I'm glad you agree with my theory on the seams pulling when stuffed. I've done a ladder stitch to the one I'm working on now, after stuffing - it works perfectly!

And yes, it IS like making the fabric AND the bear! Dad and I calculated over 24 hours of labor went into that bunny between his knitting and my assembling, stuffing and finishing. We'll both get a bit faster as we keep making more but can you imagine the price if we charged for our time! :doh:

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Wow, Daphne what a wonderfully creative Dad you have, so that's where you get your talent from.  I really love the bunny too with his chubby cheeks, I also like the way the top bear has matching scarf and foot pads, brilliant  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Pauline

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Such a talented family Daphne - you and your Dad have made the most gorgeous little bears and bunnies.

I love Pistachio  bear_wub

Great to see what you have both been up to.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

I haven't been on here much the past months, because I have been seriously bitten by the knitting bug. Then I peek back in here and see these wonderful creations. Well done! I think I have th rabbit pattern or a very similar one, but haven't made it yet. I prefer to knit my bears in the round.
If I may give you a few tips on knitting critters. Perhaps you already know this, but perhaps not. I use a needle needle 1-2 sizes smaller than what I would normally use for the yarn, to get a really tight gauge and firm fabric (unless I want to felt it afterwards, which requires a loose gauge). For a good seam you need a firm selvedge, which means you need to make the first and last stitch of a row small and firm. In stockinette stitch it is best to knit the first and last stitch just like you do the other stitches, but pull the thread tight before the second stitch. In garter stitch you would lift the first stitch knitwise on each row, because the fabric is pulled in lenghtwise and knitted edge stitches would create a somewhat wavy edge. Sewing a good mattress stitch is second nature to you, so I don't need to tell you how to do that. On knitted fabric you sew one stitch in, i.e. between the first and second, or second last and last respectively. Don't pull too tight, because knitting has stretch and a very tight sewing stitch may cause puckering.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

WOW Daphne , you dad is so  incredibly talented and such a sweet , sweet man too.  I enjoyed talking with him in Maine.  Franks  work is beautiful.  I love the bunny most and those purses are gorgeous.  I bet they will be a hit for sure.    bear_wub  bear_wub

Board footer