Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Hi,
I have been wanting to play around with the wonderful oval glass doll eyes on one of
my bears, I remember working with these eyes when I use to do reborns, but I was putting
the eyes in from inside the head.  I see a lot of bears with these type eyes, but how are they
attaching them to a bears head other than using glue.  bear_rolleyes

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Great question, Tami. I was thinking the same thing about those eyes today. I love the look, but wonder how they do that.

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

I suppose you could set them in with Apoxie Sculpt?  Make your eye sockets nice and deep and then put in a little AP.  Press the eye into the socket and then either sculpt some more AP around the outside to make eyelids, or wait until it has cured and then needle-felt, or whatever you would normally do to make eyelids.  This is only a suggestion - I have never tried it myself. 

An alternative might be to buy plain white glass eyes on loops (you get them from a taxidermy supplier), and paint your own irises onto them.  You would get the doll eye effect, but you could attach them in the normal way.

Regards,
Christine

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

I was thinking the same thing bear_original What exactly is apoxie sculpt? A type of glue/clay?

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

I don't know either as I have not used them but would love to give them a try. I don't know what size to get as I ma not use to their sizing.

I would think you would have to glue them in.

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hopefully Judi Paul will post on this thread as she uses taxidermy eyes quite a bit and they may be somewhat the same to attach
Hugs
Gail

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I will also sit and wait for some tips- I have in the past purchased some tools from a taxidermist supplier in the USA- Nancy Tillberg  mentions some taxidermist  suppliers at the back of one of her books. Must go and have a look at their site maybe they mention a way of attaching the eyes.

The doll eyes I used for my "Uggs" range I just glue on and needle felt around- yet I will still have to learn much more about this application.

Lynette

Norfolk, UK
Website

ottohead.jpg

momanimallover wrote:

I was thinking the same thing bear_original What exactly is apoxie sculpt? A type of glue/clay?

Hi Brenda,
This is a bear I made recently, with a muzzle sculpted from Apoxie Sculpt.
Apoxie Sculpt is a two-part epoxy clay; you mix equal amounts together and then you can model and sculpt with it.  It cures at room temperature in about three hours - 24 hours for full cure.  While it is in it's malleable state, you can use water to smooth it and even to dilute it to the consistancy of a paste.  When cured, you can drill, carve, sand it, and it takes acrylic paint very well.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Ok, where do you buy it ??
Lynette

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

I bought some on Ebay but if you do a google search, you'll find in on several websites. 

I haven't used it yet, but I was wondering . . . how do you attach it to the bear?  Does it stick to the mohair if you apply it before it sets up?  Do you insert wire to sew it to the bear? or do you make small holes to sew it to the bear?  I don't want to use any glue.  So, I was wondering how others do this.

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Patty if you go to Christine's blog page she has a small write up on what she did.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

I think I recall that Judi may use E6000 to glue in her eyes.  I hope she corrects me if I am mistaken.  It is a really strong glue both in adhering and smell so be careful.   I used it to glue some wood moulding onto ceramic tile and it is bomb proof   !!!!   

I have some doll eyes and was thinking of making a small clay base with a wire loop inserted.  You could bake it onto the eye , or  use  apoxy sculpt directly on the eye backing and air dry.  It just may work ????   From what I hear the apoxy sculpt sticks permanently to anything.  I have a really hard time with the smell.  It almost makes me gag, weird as it isn't that strong really.

EDITED:  I see Judi has since posted her method in the " what size doll eyes to use" thread.

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Tammy
What stores in Canada sell the E6000 glue?
Hugs
Gail

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Gail I believe you can get it at Michaels', pretty sure I have seen it there. Not sure about how strong of a smell it might have though , have never used it.   It is available as I have seen it in a few stores.

hugs

Shane

Norfolk, UK
Website

Hi all,
Yes, the Apoxie Sculpt will stick to the mohair without any help - in fact, be very careful not to get in places you don't want it, because it is almost impossible to remove!! bear_grin   
Hugs,
Christine

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hi Gail,
Shane is right, E6000 is available at Michael's in the glue section.  It is considered and industrial strength glue. I think it is about $8-11 a tube if I remember correctly. It is a silvery grey tube with big white letters E6000 on it.   I find the smell strong and it actually states on the tube that it is "know to cause cancer in California"  bear_ermm .   So use in a well ventilated area  bear_thumb  The smell does go away afterwhile when it is used to adhere something.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

IMG_0422.JPGIMG_0496.JPGIMG_0035.JPGHi all. I made this bear ages ago but used doll eyes. I needlesculpted the area to make a place for it to go. I took the back off the eye to make it flatter. I then glued it and needlefelted around it to make eyelids and make it secure. I'm sure there are better ways but thats how I did it at the time.

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

I use doll eyes quite often - both blown glass and the flat oval ones.  Definitely easier with the flat ones. 

I usually thread sculpt the eye area first, then needle felt a flat area.  After that, I needle felt around the eye to make the socket while holding the eye in place.  I did this bear with this method.  You don't need glue to keep them in if you firmly sculpt the wool around the eyes, but you might want it to hold them in place while you sculpt.

bao-yingallery1.jpg.

Another way I've attached doll eyes is to make a deep socket with thread sculpting, then made a leather eyelid (top & bottom lids) and sewn this on with the eye in place. 

I've seen another way that I haven't tried yet.  That is where you make slits in the fur/fabric, where the eyes are going to go, finish the edges, and insert the eyes inside the head.  Then I'm guessing you would use thread sculpting to get the eyes to look in the direction you want.

Hope these ideas help!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I have no clue really because I haven't used them but could you use the 'glastic' ones that are used on the ball jointed people use..?Presumably then you could attach a thread to them and secure them that way...

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

OH Melisa, I love your little open mouth real fur bear.  The proportions are so cute , I certainly hope you make more of that style as it is just fantastic.

big hugs

Shane

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Melisa that little real fur bear is just adorable.  Do you actually needlefelt onto the real fur through the hide???  WOW

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
thebearguys wrote:

OH Melisa, I love your little open mouth real fur bear.  The proportions are so cute , I certainly hope you make more of that style as it is just fantastic.

big hugs

Shane

I second Shane!  He is way too adorable!!!!

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

Thank you guys! 

To answer Jane's question... I don't needle felt through the fur...  I'd be too afraid of damaging it.  In the places where I needle felt, I use fabric instead of fur for the pattern piece.  This little guy has fabric where his muzzle, eyes and paw pads are.

Board footer