Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

So far on I ebay I have had no real problems but today I received an odd question. It sent me warning bells!!!

Dear megelles,

hey there, What is the fastest you could ship? Thanks a lot

The person had zero feedback and never had bid on an item.  I responded but with held my email address.

Has anyone else had any odd questions?

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Megelles,
I'm 99% sure this is a scam. Did you go into your secure account and see if the message is there? Never respond to a message sent by email until you see if it is in your secure ebay account!
Karen

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

Thanks Karen

I did respond via my ebay account.  It is the only way to respond to any question on ebay.

I was wondering if anyone else has received this sort of email in the last few days as I thought is was very suspicous.

cheers Lisa

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, the thing is, everyone has to start out on eBay at some point, with zero feedback. It's just the way it is. Could be this person (sounds like a guy) was told about one of your bears by his wife/girlfriend/mother and wants to get it for her.... could be her birthday and it's a last minute thing... you know men! So he's signed up with eBay to buy it but needs to know if he can get it in time.

Or he/she is a crazy scammer..... you may never know!

But wouldn't it be a relief and put a titch of faith back into ebayers for you if he was for real and won one of your auctions?

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Daphne,
It could happen, it's Spring bear_flower ! I guess it's a matter of talking to him/her. If it's through the ebay secure channel, it's worth a chance!
Karen

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website
Daphne wrote:

Or he/she is a crazy scammer..... you may never know!

I did think of that Daphne but they have been registered since Oct 06. That was what made me suspicious in the first place.

Daphne wrote:

But wouldn't it be a relief and put a titch of faith back into ebayers for you if he was for real and won one of your auctions?

Totally agree!!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I have an account with zero feedback that I opened in 1998..... I did it so someone wouldn't know it was me bidding on something. I've actually won a couple of auctions with that user ID over the years - just was never left feedback. But then I decided I wanted to use my business name as I wanted to start selling on eBay so opened a new account for the business and don't use the old one much.

I'm not usually trying to find the cherry bright side to everything... especially eBay.... but we're often so skeptical of others... myself included... yet sometimes there is no need to be and who needs all that negativity?

I hope, if nothing else, that the person you got an email from is harmless and gives you no problem.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

well....everyone is right-so maybe the only caveat would be to see if the "check clears"?

if the money comes in and the addy is the winning addy does anything else matter?

Best wishes, oh and Congrats on selling!!!

hugs
dilu

edspencer tEDDIE bears
Wichita, Ks.
Megelles wrote:

So far on I ebay I have had no real problems but today I received an odd question. It sent me warning bells!!!

Dear megelles,

hey there, What is the fastest you could ship? Thanks a lot

The person had zero feedback and never had bid on an item.  I responded but with held my email address.

Has anyone else had any odd questions?

I got one on this last auction (listed in the Artist OOAK category) asking if it was "new" and was there any "damage".  I don't think they read the descriptions at all - just look at the pictures and ask questions like this.  This person had a feedback of 229 and has purchased bears before.  Brilliant!!!

Board footer