Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

newbears004ant7.jpgnewbears007axw8.jpgnewbears008apq9.jpgnewbears015acr1.jpgnewbears017awm9.jpg

This is Scamp - my very first airbrushed bear! He took more than an hour to shade as I was soooo nervous!! I'm actually really pleased with him though - even though I need MUCH more practice before i get the wonderful effects that most of you do.

Hmmm, now what was that first rule of airbrushing?? I believe it was practice, practice, practice......well, I probably shouldn't admit this but i just practiced for 15 minutes on a piece of paper and scrap of mohiar  bear_ermm  ....I'm one of those impatient people who finds it difficult not o just dive straight in  bear_rolleyes . As it happens, I think I was lucky that I didn't ruin him!

Scamp is available for adoption on my website.

I'd love to hear your HONEST answers on my first airbrush project!

clare14 Country Bears
England

Awwww Gem, funnily enough I was just looking at your new bears on your website and thinking, ooooh Scamp's my fave!!  He's wonderful - and superb airbrushing if I may say so!!   :hug:  :hug:

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Gemma you have done a great job on Scamp, I really love this bear. bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

wilma Posts: 51

I'd say you did a very good job! bear_original

puca bears puca bears

Gemma - one word - RESPECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've done a great job on a lovely bear :clap:  :clap:  :clap: ......just wish I was brave enough to have a go! I've had an airbrush sitting around for a good half-year.................
huggies
Maria

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I love him Gemma bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
I think he has turned out great even without the airbrushing.I always think that you get a better look when using an airbrush than just hand shading.It is something I hope to get in the future.I had the copic system with just the can but you can't control the airflow and paint and you use the can far too quickly and at nearly £5 a can it is very expensive to use.What system do you have?
Laurie :hug:

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Thank you so much girls!  :hug:

The pictures don't do Scamp any justice - he is much nicer 'in the fur'. His eyes don't show up very well either - they are glittery blue and very pretty! He's also got a really nice weight to him.

Laurie, I have an artist airbrush and mini compressor that my parents bought me for Christmas. I used watered down (and strained!) acrlic paints to shade him. I think my parents paid about £85 for the airbrush and compressor.

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Gemma,
     Scamp looks great! Nice details.....adds a lot of character. bear_thumb   

JeannieB bear_original

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Gemma he turned out great!!!!  Lovely job bear_wub

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

He is lovely! I have a complete system, including a compressor, but haven't had the nerve to use it yet  :redface:
Great Job!

Marion

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Gemma, Airbrushing is a big step.  In fact I still hold my breath at times when I airbrush.  It is nerve racking escpecilly when you put so much time and energy into a bear.

I think you have done a very nice job and I think you'll get even better with practice.  What I like to see is smooth even lines and you definitely have done that.  There are no stoping or starting marks bear_thumb   Good job.

It looks like you have used one color.  If you would like to get more depth and shading then try layering two or more colors staring with the lightest color and ending with the darkest.  Make sure you feather the painting so you are not covering up the underlying color completely.  You want to see a little of each layer. bear_original

Excellent Gemma!!  :clap:

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Brilliant Gemma, you were brave and it really paid off, he is gorgeous.  I never had a go at it yet, terrified of it but would love to someday!!

Pauline

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, Gemma - you learn FAST!  Great airbrushing job!

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Fabulous Gemma,  good on you for leaping in.  I think you have done a great job.  I bet the boys wanted to have a go!!

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

REaaly lovely job on him. You did really good!!

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Gemma,
You did a great job!  I really like the way you did the paw pads.  And it always takes me forever to airbrush because I too am nervous and like to go very slowly!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Scamp is wonderful!! Goodness he is really great being this is the first airbrush critter.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Wonderful job. I had a go the other day and being the type of person who is way to confident for her own good, I totally messed it up.  It takes talent to get it right. Well done.
I thought I had researched compressors and air guns quite extensively but I don't remember reading about a 'mini' compressor. What make is it?
Wendy

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Bravo Gemma,

fantastic job!!!  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

And I do so understand your nervousness.  I got so nervous about ti that I put the whole mess away and never revisited the paint or equipment.....the hubs used my cylindar for beer making-sheesh.....

Judi gave me a great idea about practicing-buy a whole bunch of bears at the flea market or used stuff sale or Walmart and practice on them.....

I suspect it works well, of course I Havn't tried it yet, but...... :crackup:

dilu

Federbaerchen Federbaerchen
Munich - Germany

WOW, I love this bear, especially his face! He looks absolutely gorgeous! I can´t belive that this is your first attempt for an airbrushed bear - everything is perfect! Bravo!

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

Wonderful job!  I'm another who's had an airbrush sitting around for a long time!  You've inspired me to try it out!  :clap:

mjbears mjbears
northants

stunning i would love to try airbrushing but have not got a clue well done  he is lovely :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

TeddyB Posts: 83

He looks great!!! You did a great job!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

gorgeous xxxx
im still waiting for my airbrush, asked for one for xmas off the sis in law, she said it hadnt arrived intime for xmas day, sill not here... think iv been blagged!!!!
love the sculpted toes..... im not worthy :redface:    my biggest weekness, well that and sewing machines, one sure fire way to get me swearing so i dont even try any more!!!!

Rosie Posts: 9

[javascript:insert_text(' bear_wub ', '');
:love:color=darkblue][/color] bear_wub I think I'm in teddy bear love! You are so talented! Just how many bears have you made? I am new to this, just completed my first. Scamp has lots of personality. Keep it up!

Board footer