Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

Hi, I was wondering if you can help me.  I understand that you have to stuff the nose firmly so you have a hard surface to embroider but when you needle sculpt for the eyes, how hard should you stuff the head?  It seems that when I try the stuffing shifts on the bridge and it is .... squashy (the only word I can think of to describe).  Should I needle sculpt before I put the head on the body I can still mould it?  Any help would be most appreciated.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Everyone does it differently, but I like to sculpt after I have put in the head joint, but before I attach the head, I figure it's easier  to get at the head from all angles that way.
    I like to stuff my heads and snouts firmly, but with the area where the snout and head meet, not hard stuff directly into that part. Rather, let the snout stuffing and the head stuffing butt up against one another, if you can imagine that. This usually gives you a nice firm snout and head but enough 'spring' to sculpt in the eye area. 
   With the squishy bridge-maybe it's the way you are sculpting that's pushing the stuffing up in the bridge of the nose- is that happening when you are pulling the eyes together? Often that's the effect you get  if you go from eye to eye- if that's not the look you are going for you might need to change the way you do your sculpting?

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

Thankyou, sculpting is very new to me so i guess practice makes perfect!!

Board footer