Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I scrolled through the topics and probably missed a whole lot of posts on this very subject...but as much as I have never ben interested I am now keen to learn how to do a proper open mouth...with teeth...

Any help gratefully received along with pointers to books, on-line classes etc. I already have Nancy Tillbergs book...but I am looking for other ideas on the subject..

It's not till you try something like thsi that you realise how much you don't know!!

Jenny

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Jennifer Laing's book Constructing Teddy and His Friends has some good info on open mouths.

warwickshire uk
Website

Thanks SueAnn...I have got one of her books but not that one!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Jenny.  Here is one of my guys with an open mouth.  This tiger I designed from real fur and has over 22 pieces in the head design.  I used polymner clay to sculpt the teeth.  His tongue is suede leather and he also has a gum line with I used Tulip paint.  It fills in all around the teeth and has a nice wet look.Tigerhead.jpg

Deb Upstate New York

Judi ~ He's AWESOME!  :clap:

BearPawsbyJody Bear Paws by Jody
Honolulu, Hawaii

Wow, Judi, your tiger is AMAZING!  Your constant creativity astounds me!  Well done!  :thumbsup:

Jody

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hey Jody, loved, loved, LOVED your charity offering at BEAR PATHS PLUM CLUB "Comfort Bear" showcase tonight.  What a huge heart you've got!  Good for you!

warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Judi...I have a lot of work to do...I realise that.....I have to try though.

Your work is very impressive...I am awestruck!!

I think you can safely assume I won't be reaching your level of skill for a good while yet!!!

Jenny

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))WOW((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

What a spectacular creation Judi. bear_flower

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Judi,your tiger is awesome as is all your work!! I hope to reach that level some day.Do you fasten your teeth in with thread or wire? I have tried both and I wonder what others do.Thanks.

bear_smile :hug: ,Shari.

Densteds Densteds
Website

Judi,
I adore your tiger, looking at his happy face, it just makes you want to smile...that's what I really love about all your bears...they bring joy to people.....he's wonderful, you are an incredibly clever lady...

big hugs,
Denise.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

IMG_0518.JPGIMG_0516.JPGI first did an open mouth about 8 years ago. I did'nt have a book so here goes how I did it.

I made a slit in my side head pattern 2/3 down from the nose about 2/3 in to where the nose ends. I then stitch the head as normal but am left with the slit. Then just like a foot paw pad cut the mouth, I used ultra suede.
You then open the mouth area up, again like a foot pad and sew it in. The diffcult bit is in the corners where it will fold on itself to make the top and bottom mouth part.
When you stuff you will have a chin and top part.
I then needlesculpt in the mouth to give it shape.
I painted teeth on.
I'm sure thats as clear as mud but you can always email me if you want to know more.

I have just found an old head I did. A bit basic and I hope I do better stuff now but it gives you an idea. I have done recent open mouths but have not got any photos.

warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Amanda...thanks for that!! I have found a taxidermy website which explains clearly how to install a small jaw set into a head....I think the idea is the same...so I have clue now...and I have sent for a book too.The teddy books are ok but I want to know other stuff. But the way you do it is how I thought I'd do it...its' good to see pictures.

Watch this space...but don't hold your breath...it  might be next October before I've cracked it!!!!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Thanks for the great information Amanda.I also am trying to improve my tecnique.

Jenny.I  " pm'd " you.

Hugs,Shari.

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

I have made afew bears with opne mouths now but none with teeth and not as stylish as the bears shown here, but I have never used a jaw I just stuff carefuly and the stitch to shape. I shall look at trying jaws I might get a better effect
HoneyHole.jpg

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Uhhh, Shari. Trying to improve your techinique?????????
You do great open mouths. Just as good as Judi's. Really. The teeth you do, the tonge, everything. You should be teaching us how to do it.

Amanda, thanks for all that info. Soo helpfull. I had no idea how to conquor open mouths. Now I have seen some not-so-good open mouth bears, where the inside of the mouth is almost stuffed too full and doens't look too good. Do you gals put cardboard or somthing on the inside of the mouth before you stuff? Or does the needsculpting take care of that??

Just curious, after seeing Shari's open mouthed bears, not only do I want one real bad, but I've been inspired to try it myself.

Soooo many things to try, soo slow at bearmaking. LOL

Heather

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

HUMPHREY_openmouth.jpgGreat pictures!  I really like the honey sandwich your bear is eating Estelle.  Shari, you already do great open mouths. and Amanda, I like how your bear is smiling.

When I do an open mouth I apply the upper and lower jaw separately.  This way I can add a seam allowance.

Shari, I insert sequin pins into each tooth beofre baking the clay.  This way they are secrure when gluing them into place.  Also, when I add the gum line it fills in all around the teeth adding even more security.  I have more pictures but I am having trouble finding them.  If I can I will post them. 

HUGS!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I have made an open mouth both ways..

I added a leather lip line just to the lower jaw... made the inner mouth of ultrasuede,

cut slits into the ultrasuede for the teeth ...  then sewed the teeth in just behind the lip line .

When I made the teeth I poked a little hole in them sideways  big enough for a needle and thread to go thru.

Some of the teeth  look a little crooked in teds mouth but that sort of adds some character too...

Judi I assume when you leave the pins into the teeth when baking so they give some help to position them into the jaw...neat idea !
What kind of glue do you use ?

When you add the gum line...is it leather or painted on ?   I read somewhere about using some kind of gloss to paint around the lower inside of the mouth/teeth to give a natural wet look to the gums...this would be the same as using your Tulip gloss paint ? ....Winney

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

The needlesculpting really ties it altogether. It looks rubbish without it. I did better bears a few months ago but have no pictures. You don't have to put anything in just stuffing. I needlesculpt around the edges where teeth would go, down the middle for the tongue, at  the top in the middle. If I did the bear head again I would not have made the slit as far back. That would have looked better.

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I love the idea of the tulip paint as I've been making a gumline of wool felt or leather and painstakingly sewing it on ever so very carefully.I have an open-mouth done but for his head and keep putting it off.Now I an inspired again.You gals are the greatest.Sometimes I think I love you more than chocolate and your not nearly as fattening unless I count the big butt I'm going to grow by sitting here on the computer  bear_grin  bear_grin

Hugs,Shari.

BearPawsbyJody Bear Paws by Jody
Honolulu, Hawaii

Shelli,

Thanks so much for your kind words.  I love to donate my bears for charity.  But I really enjoy doing anything I can for Diane at Bear Paths.  She was the first one to allow me to sell my bears on her web site and she's just wonderful to work with.  I'm sure you know what I mean since I see some of your lovely bears at Bear Paths too.   :)

Jody

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I do indeed know what you mean.  My bears made their debut at BEAR PATHS in March 2004, and I owe Diane the world for letting me start out among established names in the industry, and at great prices from the get-go.  She's a love, that woman, and really launched me in this great industry.  I adore her and tell her so at every turn.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Winney, I like to use either E 6000 or magnatac to set the teeth.  The E6000 can be a bit difficult to work with due to its thickness and the magnatac is stringy but a great glue.  Super glue gel would also work...probabaly would be the easiest to work with.

Shari, the tulip paint is fatastic to and looks very natural for a gum line.  It fills in right around the teeth and looks wet when it dries.  I also add airbrsuhing...I can't help myself :redface:

Jody and Shelli, I am trying to figure out who Diane is at Bear Paths.....I am thinking I may have bought a bear from her........and she wanted to carry some of my ebars....if this is the person I am thinking of...she is a gem!

Deb Upstate New York

I have some paint in a plastic bottle that says Tulip ... looks like it may be the brand name.  Is that what you're talking about when you refer to tulip paint?

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Yes Deb, that sounds right.  Now rememebr that some of thew Tulip paints are not glossy.  I like the glossy finishes so the gum line will look wet.

Board footer