Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

THOSE BORN 1920-1979

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1920's,30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants &children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because, WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computer! s, no Internet or chat rooms.......

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good .

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Ain't that the truth! bear_tongue

hugs,

Brenda

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I was one of those . . . thanks for the memories, Kerrilyn.

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

I was one of those kid, too.

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

That was amazing, it was not until the end I felt an overwhelming wave of sadness, I too was one of those kids, just, what is this world coming to bear_wacko

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Actually it's a little sad when you think about it...look what the kids of today are missing out on.

I often wonder, with all the sterile environment they are growing up in, how their immune systems are going to cope.

Certainly brought back some memories reading this post.

Growing up with horses, getting covered in fleas from the stables and having to strip bare and take a shower before coming into the house is one of my fondest memories of my childhood...I loved riding on the weekends...even when I got thrown going over the old lava rock wall surrounding the paddock!  :crackup:

Those were the days! SIGH!

I know my age is showing.

I'm proud of it!

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Ah, the good old days!!!!!!!!!  I can remember my Mum and Dad even saying that about "their" childhood!!

But yes, that era was pretty good as far as enjoying yourself as a child was concerned.  You could actually escape into your own little world and use your imagination to fuel your enjoyment and live-out your dreams.  I really do feel so sorry for children these days but then, they don't know any different because they have been born into a world of electrical gadgets and wizardry that take away a lot of having to use your imagination.  It's the older generation that is ruining it for them will all the scare-mongering and rules and regulations.  We think we are protecting, but instead we are suffocating.  I think people are generally more hostile these days too compared to "back then". 

I remember "flower power" and think we should bring it all back - properly!  A lovely time!  bear_wub  bear_wub  It makes you wonder what such things will be like in another twenty years time. 

Well, this has really got me being all nostalgic now so I think I will go and put on some CDs of good old 60s and 70s hits!

ah, memories ...........   

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

Dilu Posts: 8,574

bear_thumb  bear_thumb  My teacher actually did complain of me running with scissors-a point of pride-even if they were rounded tips.....thanks for posting.....fun trip down memory lane....

dilu

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Me too, I was one of those kids. Things sure have changed over time!!!!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I'm another proud survivor  bear_thumb   And its amazing the freedoms we had back then.  My brother and I ran all over the place like heathens and Mom didn't worry about where we were.  All that was important was that you were in one piece in time to come to supper...and it was a sitdown supper that Mom had cooked, so you'd better be there an eat everything on your plate  bear_whistle

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Really great Kerrilyn.  I grew up in the 70's and I ran with scissors! 

Thanks for sharing.

Kathleen Pa

How did we ever survive without cellphones, ipods, GPS, etc....

Kathleen

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

lol..glad you all enjoyed that...did everyones mum have the "good" scissors that you weren't allowed to use?? bear_grin I thought of a teddy bear related one after I sent it in...probably not so much the 70's kids, but earlier kids didn't have safety eyes and safety joints on their teddies..they got boot buttons and cardboard..and didn't  choke and die from it.

kids today find it difficult to entertain themselves..which to me is very sad..they are also so used to getting their own way..all they have to do is pout a bit and they get what they want..i don't understand some of the parents at all (I work in a cinema and see it all the time.."but I want my 10 year old to go to the R rated movie..how dare you tell me no..he wants to see it..by himself cos I embarrass him"..arghh
Kerrilyn..no kids yet..but hopefully soon!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Ah, the "Good Ole Days".....

Makes me glad I was a kid then.... and reminds me why I wouldn't be able to handle raising a kid in today's world.... I just don't understand it or like it! And the older I get, the more I don't understand it and grow to hate it!

LOL! Man, do I sound ancient already???  :crackup:

Board footer