Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Okay.  So a few of you have wandered over to Etsy.  Are you selling well?  What kind of traffic are you getting?  I can't be the only one out here wondering!  I'm looking for total honesty here.  I know nothing about Etsy and would like to hear about it from someone actually conducting business there.  Would someone mind explaining it to me....and everyone else out there? 

I realize it's a different format.....and not an auction site.  Is it basically a website listed under an art/craft umbrella?  (Did that make sense?)  What does it cost you to do business there?  What sort of set-up do they have for credit card purchases?

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

P.S.  Please don't send me a bunch of links to the Esty site to answer these questions.  A good old girlfriends talk about it would be appreciated.

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

Hi Aleta,
Someone else asked the same question in another group, so you're not alone!!  I have an Etsy shop but haven't even put anything in it yet... but my husband has one too, for his prints.  He sold two in the first week - and then nothing for months.  I hear the same from other people, ie that they are not really selling anything.  I also hear that the best way to maximise your chances of a sale is to get involved with the Etsy community.  I am not even sure what this means  bear_grin , but certainly, just sticking your work on there and hoping someone will wander in and buy probably isn't going to happen.  Unfortunaley, I just don't have the time to get embedded with all the STUFF that goes on there and find a lot of it quite confusing.  (That's probably a generational thing!).  I will certainly give it a try - but I really prefer selling the good old fashioned way - at a show, where you can meet people face to face.

Sorry I can't be more upbeat at present - maybe others will have better stories to tell?
Hugs,
Chris

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm not an expert but here are a few thoughts on Etsy.

MARKETPLACE
Etsy is a MARKETPLACE. They used to focus on handmade goods and many of those goods tended to be kinda cool and artsy, which in my opinion is awesome.  Very recently they've split their market into three separate areas:  Hand made (their original and primary focus); vintage; and supplies.  That's because many of the artists and customers who visited there wanted those things, but there was, as I understand it, some frustration about the intermingling of those elements.  So Etsy created separate listing categories for greater individuation of each area.  This all becomes painfully obvious if you do any kind of SEARCH there, since the drop down menu kinda forces you to SEARCH these categories separately (or choose to search ALL), automatically.

AUDIENCE
Etsy rocks my socks off!  I just love going there and find it totally and completely inspiring.  I have to think, based on what gets listed there, that a huge percentage of their audience is either young, or young at heart... and creatively minded... and appreciative of craftsmanship and the joy of handmade and well loved goods.  For that reason I think it has broad appeal to the artist, and that's kinda what most of us here at TT are.  It's addictive and time-sucking and will steal hours of your life if you find a good groove to browse.  So fun.

LEARNING CURVE
Etsy can be confusing to learn.  It has its own way of "thinking" as a website that's not like any other (that I've been to, anyway), but once you learn it, it has a wonderful charm.  You can even search for items by COLOR!!  My best advice on this is just visit, and play.  You'll learn the site and get to view some serious eye candy in the process.  I find it incredibly useful to find someone whose art I like, and then view their FAVORITES.  That way you can see what THEY like, and in the process, you'll likely be introduced to a huge number of incredible sellers you'll want to make as favorites of your own.

TREASURIES
I really enjoy Etsy's "Treasuries" -- collections of for-sale items that appear on the front page where it says HAND PICKED ITEMS, but also, in case you didn't know, appear in their own TREASURY section of the site, here:  http://www.etsy.com/treasury.php  You can navigate to the Treasury page from the left-side menu at Etsy.

So what's a Treasury?  It's a short-lived collection of twelve items, currently available on Etsy.  All Treasuries expire.  When a Treasury is created it is randomly assigned a run time which is as short as some hours and as long as a few days.   It's not intended for self-promotion but rather, as a way of screaming "CHECK THIS GREAT STUFF OUT" to Etsy visitors, showcasing the work of other Etsians you admire.  Each Treasury is constructed by an Etsy member.  Anyone can make a Treasury.  The secret is to stand by and watch for an opening!  You see, there are only ever 333 Treasury lists at a time.  If the number drops below 333, an opening is created for the first-come, first-served, quickest to act person to submit their own Treasury listing.  Now, in reality, usually there are WAY more than 333 Treasuries available to view.  That's because if an opening becomes available and 100 people, all at the same time, click to reserve that opening as their own, all 100 will be able to create a Treasury for that one opening.  Or something like that!  I made a Treasury once which was fun and cool, but I don't think I'll spend much time waiting around to do it again.  Having said that, they're one of my favorite things to explore when I visit Etsy, because some very cool people with excellent taste and a direct pipeline to some of the best work posted on Etsy will do all the hard work of collecting the good stuff FOR me, with their Treasuries.

Click here to learn more about what Treasuries are, and how to create one:  http://www.etsy.com/storque/section/how … bolts/688/

BUYING
Purchasing items on Etsy is straightforward and simple.  They have a clean interface that's not hard to understand, and a feedback system similar to the one we know on eBay, but without all the annoying hypocrisies and abuses (yet.)  I've only ever bought using PayPal but I believe there are several other options.  I won't tell you more than I know on that.

SELLING
I've sold a handful of my Imps and some ACEO's on Etsy.  It was easy peasy and I think I paid maybe a buck or two to list my items.  The cut that Etsy takes is minimal; so much so that frankly I didn't pay a whit of attention to what it was, once I read their policies initially and thought to myself, "Is that all?  Yeesh.  Who cares?  One less thing to think about..."   Unlike on eBay where I often think to myself, "Criminies, I can't believe I'm paying twenty bucks just to get this on the front page, and then a percentage on top of that."

I don't remember the specifics but I do know that each item runs on Etsy for a very long time, for that one listing price.  Like, MONTHS long.  And you can list multiple items for one insertion fee.  I just listed 16 ACEO's for a very small price.  In terms of value for your dollar, I think Etsy is a fantastic alternative to eBay and significantly less expensive across every parameter.  And if you're used to selling from your own website, there's something FANTASTIC and VISIONARY about Etsy that eBay doesn't allow.  Namely... You can cross-promote, and cross-sell your items -- which, of course, are yours to sell wherever the heck you want to, in the first place -- without negative consequence.  In other words... You could list your bear MARVIN on your website; on Bear Pile; here at Teddy Talk; and on Etsy; all at the same time.  Then, when MARVIN sells, you simply remove your Etsy listing (and all the rest of your listings elsewhere.)  This is possible because Etsy is a marketplace, versus an auction house, and to be fair to eBay (which I am less and less inclined to be), it would be lame if they allowed people to yank auctions without consequence because it's just not how auctions work.  Because Etsy is essentially a virtual storefront, you can post items there for broader exposure than your website, or TT, or Bear Pile might allow, and you can have the "oversight" of their business practice to help validate and grant credibility to your sales for any skittish customers you might have who would look for such assurances, and you can do all of that without any consequence at all, except for the loss of your very reasonable listing fee.  Which, as I said, is like a buck or two.  Really not a bad price for the additional exposure.

VIABILITY
Re: what sells vs. what doesn't sell:  On the one hand I have somewhere along the way formed the opinion that it is easier to sell lower priced items on Etsy than higher priced ones.  That's not based on my personal experience -- my highest ticket sale ever posted was around $40 if memory serves -- but on observation and intuition. 

On the other hand, I've found -- and my husband has bought -- earrings on Etsy that cost well over $150 and we didn't think twice about snatching them up at that price.  There are some wonderful, wonderful, gorgeous art items on Etsy that have very, very high pricetags.   I don't know how well, or how quickly, those items sell... but they are certainly listed.

My intuition -- and again, I may be completely wrong here -- is that if you have a following (such as from your website, or here at TT, or on forums, or if you have an extensive mailing list) and you can direct that following to your listings on Etsy, it could be a VERY viable marketplace for selling teddy bears.

My intuition, too, though, is that just posting on Etsy will not increase bear sales -- at least, at this point in Etsy's path.  Which I see Paula also believes (we were posting simultaneously.  Hi Paula!)  Perhaps there's a wider artist bear collecting audience there than I give credit -- my apologies if that's the case -- but my sense is that, on the whole, the young, creative audience there either has less interest in, or less pocket change for, high ticket artist bears.  In other words, I don't think the audience that regularly trolls Etsy right now, today, in 2008, is likely a great audience from which to expect to develop a customer base, for the teddy bear artist.  But... if you can bring your existing collectors TO Etsy, and if you continue to develop your following through other paths (advertising in the magazines, a website, forum posts, etc.) I think it could make an excellent marketplace from which to sell.

And of course, as Etsy grows over time -- and it will, because it ROCKSSSSSSSS -- the audience which follows it will grow and change, too.  Artist bears are just as valid a "homemade", craftmanship-rich, art item as anything else sold there. 

-----

Anyway... those are just a few off-the-top-of-my-head thoughts on Etsy.  Hope this helps get you started, Aleta.  I think you'd love it there.  You can even buy German glass glitter.

See?  I know what floats your boat, girly.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Whew...that saved me a bunch of copying and pasting.   I was just over at your blog looking for your Etsy post, Shelli   bear_grin   I didn't want to do the whole link thing for the Queen.   :crackup:   :crackup:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Well, see how dumb I am.  I didn't even remember that I MADE an informative post about Etsy on my blog.  Honestly, somebody send me some folic acid, quicker.

Norfolk, UK
Website

Hi Shelli,
I hoped you would jump in as you are the Etsy Queen! bear_laugh
Great overview of what Etsy can do if you approach it in the right way.  I must, must get around to putting some things in my shop!!  I think you are right about lower priced items being more likely to sell.  Also, I have a feeling that a person will do better if they have several things for sale at any one time, and also make regular additions of new stock.  But Shelli has a point that it is a great shop front and might be a way to get your bears out to a wider audience - best to have some smaller, less expensive things in your shop as well though, I think.
Hugs,
Chris

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Honestly, I need some more coffee this morning.  I read your post earlier, Chris, and somehow got in my head while expanding my own post that you were instead Paula Carter.  Rather than just re-edit my post where I wave HI to you (a.k.a. Paula) I'm admitting it out loud.  Here goes:  I think all English people are one and the same.

KIDDING!   bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue

So sorry for the error.  Of course you're Christine Pike, not Paula Carter.  Duh, Shel.   :redface:  :redface:  :redface:   Hi, Chris!!! :)

PS  Every point you make is excellent and I wish I'd said the same.  Note:  When something in your Etsy shop sells (your place on Etsy is known as your SHOP, by the way), your shop empties that item into a SOLD area.  So if you want to appear to be an active seller yes, as Chris - CHRIS, NOT PAULA -- said, you do need to keep something in your shop at all times.  Multiple, lower priced items are a great way to do that.  For the bear artist that might be art cards featuring your work, greeting cards, pins, paintings of your bears, collars, clothing, accessories, etc.  I know how long it takes to make those bears and it's not always possible to keep something like that in stock!

smdogs gone to the dogs/sm dog designs
Kansas City Missouri
Website

Hi Aleta,

Etsy is for all hand made things only. There is no cost to sign up for an account. All items that you list are .20 cents each for a 4 month listing. The listing format is pretty basic, I did find it a little confusing but not to bad. You can list your item just like you do on ebay. You set what ever price you want to sell your item(s) at and that is what the buyer will pay (no bidding). When you sell an item Etsy takes a percent of the sale price of your item which is very little. Your buyers can pay by paypal, check are money orders which ever you perfer.
They also leave feedback from the sale.
   It is all pretty easy. I have not been on there very long, but I have sold one item and have another one listed which as already had 100 lookers on it.

I hope this helps out a little bit.

sheryl

Portland, Oregon
Website

Hmm.  So, my new little three piece (lesser priced) bears would probably do better than a 24 incher going for $5000.  Whoa!  Where did that price come from?  I wish!!  Teehee.  Make that $500.  I think my fingers got a little carried away there!  But, as Christine suggested, put a higher priced something up......just because.  Okay, I get that.  Makes sense.

Oh Shelli girl, you do know what peeks my interest!  German glass glitter......yeah, baby!  And vintage things too?  Uh-oh.  I guess I will have to make myself learn this Etsy thing if for no other reason than buying.  And what a shame that is.   bear_happy

Hugs and hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi Sheryl,
.20 cents for a 4 month listing?  Zowie!!  Thank you for that little tidbit.   bear_original

So, now I have a couple people mentioning that Etsy is a little confusing.  As long as it's not any harder than setting up a blog.....  You know, my pea brain and all.
bear_wacko  bear_wacko

Hugs and hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

White Forest White Forest Bears
Southern California

I like etsy, but I've never gotten a sale from it.  I migh put some dolls on it and see how they do.  It seems lower priced items sell better. 

I just see it as another form of advertising.  It's fun to browse as people make the most incredible things!

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

Hi Aleta
I like Etsy too.
Have bought some really lovely stuff but
have never had a sale so far.
:hug:

Norfolk, UK
Website
Shelli wrote:

Honestly, I need some more coffee this morning.  I read your post earlier, Chris, and somehow got in my head while expanding my own post that you were instead Paula Carter.  Rather than just re-edit my post where I wave HI to you (a.k.a. Paula) I'm admitting it out loud.  Here goes:  I think all English people are one and the same.

I know - we all look and sound alike, it's hard to tell us apart! bear_grin

Well, I guess I should stop talking about it and actually put SOMETHING in my Etsy shop!!!  I do have a couple of pendants and some handmade books that are ready to go so I will make a concerted effort this weekend to get some stuff on there.

Thanks, Shell, for all the great selling tips!!
Hugs,
Chrisx

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Aleta- They also take 3.5% of whatever you sell on Etsy on top of your .20 to list. Not much but just wanted you to be aware of it. I am like Shelli and have this insatiable need to love everything Etsy. The sellers are so fantastic and you can pretty much find anything that you could ever want. I have seen things that were listed for a steal all the way up to things I could never afford in this lifetime.  :crackup: It really does get the creative juices flowing and its easy to fall in love with all the handmade beauty that is listed. I have not sold on Etsy yet although I just set up my store but I do shop quite a bit. I dont know that this would work for bears but if you choose to sell other things too then a friend of mine gave me this bit of advice...She said to list something daily. There is a list somewhere on the site that shows all the items listed that day and if you list something daily then your name is always on the top. People will see it more and check your site and hopefully add you as a fave. I check my favorite stores daily to see whats new before I "window-shop" for other things! Hope some of that rant made some sense!  :redface:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

My experience as a seller: I've sold 2 items.... to TTers..... after posting the link to the items here. So I coulda put 'em on my website and still sold them! But I've gotten a number of inquiries and Dad has gotten 2 custom orders for his knit bags so that does count too. It's a great marketing tool and very cheap.

It's not tooooo hard to set up, especially once you've listed a couple of pieces you then start to get the hang of it. I can't do a blog but I can do Etsy!

My experience as a buyer: Holy Moly!!! I've bought a LOT of unique and cool things that I'd be hard pressed to find elsewhere without SERIOUS searching and sifting through listings (like eBay).

My observations: It's such a neat place and its growing like crazy which means people must have some success. No, high ticket items don't tend to sell. $50-75 seems to be about the max unless you already have a collector base that follows you to Etsy and will buy from you there. Telling your mailing list/collectors about your Etsy shop is really important to launching your shop successfully. Don't count on the average Joe to just stumble upon you on Etsy and buy up all your stock.

I'm not sure on this one but I think that when you add an item to your shop you go back to the top of some of the search results so you are more apt to be seen if you ad items frequently.

NewelleyBears Newelley.Bears
Harrow, Ontario

Christine,

What is the address to your hubby's etsy store, I'd like to take a look at the prints...

Thanks,

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I LOVE Etsy.  If I can do it Aleta, you can to.  It's not that hard, really.  I window shop everyday on Etsy and more than I should buy a little too!

Go ETSY!!!

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

I've had a shop on etsy for about a year. I have sold 8 critters priced from $55 to $125, 3 of those in the last 4 weeks. Recently, instead of adding new items to the adopt page on my website I just added a link to my etsy shop. There are so many wonderfully creative things on etsy I think the important thing is the tags you put on your listing. There was another thread about which category to list our artist bears. I have been listing under toys because I saw that's what other bear artists were doing. The tags you add after the main category are just as important.
Flickr, the photo sharing site, has a number of etsy groups where you can sometimes get an advance preview of things that will be for sale. You just can't say the item is for sale in your shop in the description of the photo but there can be a link to your shop in your profile.
I love just shopping on etsy. With the high gas prices its the best way to "shop til you drop" around.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

It took me about 20 minutes to set up a storefront this afternoon, 10 of those minutes were tweaking my banner in photoshop!  I'm listing tomorrow and will honestly tell you if it's a pain or easy peasy bear_laugh

:hug:
~Chrissi

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

You can cross-promote, and cross-sell your items -- which, of course, are yours to sell wherever the heck you want to, in the first place -- without negative consequence.  In other words... You could list your bear MARVIN on your website; on Bear Pile; here at Teddy Talk; and on Etsy; all at the same time.  Then, when MARVIN sells, you simply remove your Etsy listing (and all the rest of your listings elsewhere.)

Hi Shelli

It was my understanding that if you had something for sale in your etsy store you were not then allowed to offer that same item for sale in any other marketplace (eg your website or ebay).  I did have an etsy store over a year ago now for my paper goods and that clause stopped me from listing many of my bears there because I couldn't have them on my website at the same time.  Perhaps that rule has changed...it would be good if it had, though I can understand the reasonings behind having it.

I love Etsy.  I haven't really tried it for my bears but did have some reasonable success selling my cards on there, but as I said, that was well over a year ago and I think I sold 6 or 7 things in about 3 months.  I would thoroughly advise getting involved in the forums as that's how I made sales I think.  I keep promising myself that I'll list again one day.

Portland, Oregon
Website

All of this is really interesting!  Thank you all for the input!!  I think for me, at this point anyway, I will stick with my website.  It sounds like unless you are part of the Etsy community and are involved, sales can be a bit lackluster.  I just don't have the where-with-all to commit to another venue that requires my time.  I will be happy with the collector base I have and will continue to increase it by blogging, which I totally enjoy, and by selling through my own retail shop.  Having said that, if I didn't have a retail shop, I think Etsy would be a good way to grow sales through internet community involvement.  For me, I like TT and the internet community that it affords me right now.......as little as I've been around of late.  I've made some pretty fabulous friends here.  Insert theme song to "Cheers" here.   bear_original  bear_original

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

nandesign Posts: 361

Okay...you all have convinced me that I should look into Etsy...and so I did a little reading. I have been going to Etsy shops to browse for a while now and love the variety and quality of most of the products. And so, I decided to take the plunge. I have an Etsy shop! I haven't got anything in it yet...I want to launch with products on June 1st, of THIS year!

I will let you know when I have a few things listed. And Aleta...it was easy peasy to open the shop.

Hope everyone has a wonderful long holiday weekend.
Hugs, Nancy bear_flower

ciderantiques Ciderantiques and Old Soul Bears
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Very recently they've split their market into three separate areas:  Hand made (their original and primary focus); vintage; and supplies.  That's because many of the artists and customers who visited there wanted those things

Hi Shelli,  I am interested in selling vintage items on etsy.  I registered my name on etsy way back in February but have not used my store yet.  I am not really sure what I can or can't sell on the site.   Does the requirement for handmade also apply to vintage items?  Specifically, do the so called vintage items also need to be handcrafted?  (I realize a handmade item from a vintage material would be OK). 

I am wondering more about the grey areas . . . . I see some people do sell vintage items that they did not personally make.

I presume a hand embroidered tablecloth would be considered OK for etsy ~ but don't know if I would be allowed  to sell a vintage machine embroidered tablecloth.  I guess the same question applies for vintage handmade lace and machine made lace.   Do you know what the policy or rules are for "vintage" listings?  I scanned the site but could not clarify this issue. 

Hope you know the answer.  bear_original  Thank you, Karen at Ciderantiques

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Hi Karen.  I do NOT know offhand what the rules are for vintage listings.  I think they apply to stuff that's "old" and "not handmade" but obviously they'd have tighter definitions on Etsy than I can provide.  Let me give it a quick peek since I might know where to find that information.  Back in a few...

ciderantiques Ciderantiques and Old Soul Bears
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hi again ,  Found the answer after all . . .

Vintage goods:

The Vintage category is for things that are at least 20 years old.
These listings must be placed in the Vintage category.

I guess there are only two rules  :dance: .   Etsy here I come !!!!!   :dance:

Karen

Board footer