Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

My husband "thinks'" he sees a pattern of my light bears -- particularly VERY light ones, like cream, ivory, or white -- selling quicker and thus "better," and for higher prices, than my darker bears.

Does anyone else notice a pattern in collector preferences? 

Do you have a preference:  light vs. dark bears?

I actually collect a style of of bear very unlike my own creations.  I tend to like the kinda sparse, scruffy, old-fashioned types of bears, with black eyes, and with a lot of whimsy to them.  But my hands, heart, and mind prefer MAKING contemporary, very facially-detailed, bears, in thick lush furs, and using not too many dark colors.

Anyway, the question is... what's your poison: light or dark?

Most of my collected bears are... a midtone.  I don't feel very drawn to super-light bears -- including polars, although I do like pandas -- that's for sure.  And a lot of very dark bears lack sufficient detail to draw me in for that requisite closer look.  So many of my collected pieces are in a midtone range, and almost every one of them is in a brownish tone.

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I tend to like the light colors ...in fact just about 90% of the bears I have made has been off white. I wonder if bear artists have periods of color and expressions like the old  painting masters did....like is this my white period later it will be my blue period or my dark bear period.....Winney

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

While I have made bears in all color ranges including green and purple, I think mid to light bears do better, they show off the detail. I collect bears from dark brown (not black) to white. My darkest bear is a potbelly bear names Forest.. bear_tongue and I have some in white alpaca, animal print mink, some are contemporary and others realistic. None are dressed though, just bows, keys, or a whimsical hat.... I really like making pandas... I don't know why, I guess I change my mind about fur color mid-bear!! bear_grin

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Well, as a collector, I like to be able to see his face easily (like from my chair in the living room)  In fact, I remember at a show that I passed up one bear - whose face I really preferred up close... in favor of another because I could see the face easier.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hmmm.  I'm gonna jump on the wagon here and agree with most everybody that, in general, the mid to lighter colored bears sell better . . . although I've sold several dark ones.  And I agree it's because the face detail does show up better on a lighter bear.  However, as in the case of Shelli's cute little stinker Chauncey, the facial expression is easy to see because she has worked wonders with the eyes (as usual).  When I make black/white pandas, I always add a little white shading around the eyes so they will show up better.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Have you ever been able to get the facial features of a dark colored bear to show in a photo well? I haven't... of course I don't have a fancy light tent like many of you!:P But that's one of the reasons I stay away from dark colored bears.

However, I have to say that one of my best selling bears (and my most favorite!) is made of dark brown/black tip alpaca/mohair blend. He doesn't come out well in photos but when someone sees him in the fur they fall in love with the feel and those little black eyes hiding in that cute little furry face. I'd say there is always an exception to everything but as a rule, I lean toward medium to lighter colored bears. A fun color now and then is always interesting! (I'm making a blue guy right now.)

Daphne

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Light bears....for sure.

I made a black sable bear-you could see the features fine in real life but not in pictures.  I have 2 others cut out of the same sable-but after that no more dark dark bears. 

Dilu

However Delartful's avatar is a dark bear, however because of the shape of the face-and the longish muzzel it works-that and her talant! bear_original

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Me? Talent? Nah... just a newbie here Dilu!!

I love dark and light, probably prefer dark for some reason - but then I do love making Polars also -  I guess I like to mix it up!

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

Thank you for giving us your imput from the eyes of a collector Laura. I had never thought of it in that perspective before.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Cindy!

You're welcome!  I'm still a collector even though I'm an artist too.... and I'm always asking my girlfriend (who got me started collecting bears) her opinion as a collector.  It helps to be on both sides of the fence bear_grin 

Seriously though... I'm about to make a dark furred bear -- but I'll be using a bit of white felt around the eyes so you CAN see  the face.  That's the whole reason I passed up that one dark bear... just cause I couldn't see the face!  If you can make the face pop out (like Shelli does!) then it wouldn't matter to me... light or dark!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello and welcome Cindy! ... If I miss
to say welcome to anyone, sorry !

Can I jumping to this  wagon now?

Shelli, I love your dark color animal in
your avatar!  I saw her (boy?) in your
website before and I thought black is
cute with blue eyes and light color nose.
I can really see her(his) face clearly.
I think you have  magical hands to
create a beautiful bear/animal from
any kind of color or fabric. :lol:

Personally I love light to middle color but
I also love black or dark color too.:P
I purchased black mohair( Quality 800K)
from Intercal and the mohair is
sooooo smooth and shines . I'm thinking to make a  *phantom or the opera*.

I think Delartful's avatar is work of
art and Talent too ! you must have a
talent in creating bears and picture
both!

Daphne wrote:

(and my most favorite!) is made of dark brown/black tip alpaca/mohair blend.

wao! that sound cute. I Loooove alpaca
too! I just love the feel of softness.
I purchased ALP4/ST(800ST) from
Intercal this month. when I saw the
picture of 'Gunnar' made by Sue-Ann
I had to buy the Alpaca. It has lighter
baking so I think I'm going to shave
the face.

Laura wrote:

I'm about to make a dark furred bear -- but I'll be using a bit of white felt around the eyes

Laura, thank you for great tip
  again ! I will try to use the white
  felt too.  :D

I like to check "Teddy Talk" everyday
because I can get new information
or idea and great story everytime bear_original

Bear Hugs/Marie

Board footer